ICW’s Lionheart dead

Daaaaaad!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The scene up here is small and intimate. I have interviewed him, been on nights out in his company in Carlisle after Target shows, and spoke very briefly to him this morning. I can’t take this in properly. I wasn’t a friend, but know many who where who will miss him greatly

• Paid Members

36 is no age. 

I can't say I was a fan, but he was responsible for a moment which was the most I've ever laughed and smiled at a wrestling show, thinking about it still makes me smile now. 

1 hour ago, Love-Wilcox said:

Ricky "liked" the tweet too. How mental.

Reckon it showed up on my timeline BECAUSE Gervais liked it... not far down from ICW’s tweet reporting his death.  Which... yeah. Shit.

Can’t pretend to be particularly familiar with him, never followed ICW or PCW at all hardly but he seemed a proper decent fella by all accounts. Awful news.

Awful news. He was a great performer. I saw him many times at PCW. I thought his run as a heel there was great. He was loved by the fans after coming back from his broken neck and managed to flip that into being booed by everyone in the room. 

I remember once giving him loads of shit at a show (in a "I like you so I'm booing you" type way) and he came up to me, face to face, at which point I thought "ah feck, I've gone too far" then he planted a kiss right on my lips. It might have been at a little Indie show and meaningless to almost everyone but it's a cool moment I'll always remember. 

• Paid Members

He was a great heel. I saw that AJ Styles match, which was great up until that moment. Saw a couple of shows where he was recovering from the neck injury. Sad loss for British wrestling. He was a heck of a talent. 36 is no age. Given that last tweet I wouldn't like to think of how he passed away. 

Our local radio station mentioned his death on their hourly news, I went straight online to check that I’d heard correctly. Absolutely stunned. 

Lionheart was my introduction to Scottish wrestling, but not through a match. I heard an interview he did with Inside the Ropes in around 2012.

That was around 10 years after I started watching wrestling, and up till then I had no awareness that there was a wrestling scene in Scotland, let alone a thriving, exciting one.

Lionheart did the interview in character and played a fantastic heel. It absolutely intrigued me and it led to me checking out ICW, and in time gaining an interest in British (but mainly Scottish) wrestling.

This is absolutely tragic. 

Devastating news, only saw him a handful of times through watching ICW and PCW clips but enjoyed seeing his work, only a couple of years older than me as well which is a massive gut punch. Thoughts and prayers to everyone at ICW and his family and friends

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Given that last tweet I wouldn't like to think of how he passed away. 

Some of the comments from other wrestlers seem to lead me to the same conclusion.

Unlike Trav who I saw wrestle maybe 20 times I only managed to see Lionheart wrestle twice live but this has still hit me just as hard. When I first started discovering Britwres he was one of those perennial names you'd always see in magazines or in end of the year lists so long before I saw him have a match I was already familiar with him. Incredibly talented as face or heel and I loved him as the firm but fair coach on Rogue To Wrestler. He'll be fondly remembered and sorely missed.

• Paid Members

Wonderful talent. One of those names that will unfortunately often be overlooked when considering the catalysts for the upsurge in interest in the British scene in the past 10 years or so, but should deservedly be in that conversation.

I have a few friends in the Scottish scene, and as was said earlier, it's such a small, convivial scene that everyone seems to know everyone else. A few of my friends were trained by him, and were training and seeing him up until only very recently. I've heard several times how welcoming he was to people taking their first steps into the business, and into the scene, to ensure they never felt uncomfortable or alienated.

• Paid Members
55 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Some of the comments from other wrestlers seem to lead me to the same conclusion.

That conclusion would be correct, unfortunately. Tragic news. I only met him a handful of times but a nicer guy you’ll struggle to meet.

• Paid Members

That's heart-breaking. I wasn't particularly a fan, but I know he was massively popular, and I've frequently heard about how nice a guy he was. To imagine he was so popular and respected, yet felt alone enough to take that step is truly tragic. I'm sure he's at least found peace now; can only hope his family and friends will be OK eventually, sooner rather than later.

I couldn't believe it when I read it yesterday. I've always known Lionheart as a hard working man. Plus, he was on top of the world as of this year, holding three belts. It's a pity what happened.

Archived