Cartoons

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members

I don't know about Toy Masters but there's a great doc Netflix called Power Of Greyskull.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, gmoney said:

I honestly don't understand how an adult could be into Masters of the Universe. It's complete pap. Stuff like Thundercats and even Transformers to an extent have a bit about them that you can see why, combined with nostalgia, an older person can might enjoy it. But aside from Skelator, it's got nothing. I remember as teenagers the morning after a house party someone put on a video of all old cartoons like that and everyone enjoyed it in our hungover state, but 5 minutes into the He-Man one we switched off.  

Well it's simple really IMO. The toy line was absolutely bad ass. The art work used on the packaging and posters etc was fantastic.

They tell a story so dramatic and thrilling particularly to a kid. The original cartoon is charming in a quaint sort of a way but not exactly a rollercoaster.

A relaunch done properly will be what every poster and box art promised realised. If nothing else the characters are there gagging for fleshing out.

Also the the early 2000's version is actually very very good with the exception of Prince Adam having the most annoying voice of all time.

Edited by DEF

• Paid Members

Could well be Goddard's involvement that has made Toy Masters seemingly disappear. What with him being a alleged rapey peado cunt and all.

Edited by DEF

5 hours ago, DEF said:

Well it's simple really IMO. The toy line was absolutely bad ass. The art work used on the packaging and posters etc was fantastic.

They tell a story so dramatic and thrilling particularly to a kid. The original cartoon is charming in a quaint sort of a way but not exactly a rollercoaster.

A relaunch done properly will be what every poster and box art promised realised. If nothing else the characters are there gagging for fleshing out.

Also the the early 2000's version is actually very very good with the exception of Prince Adam having the most annoying voice of all time.

Yeah I liked the 2002 series as well, expanded on where the Filmation series couldn’t go but it’s no surprise Adam’s voice was whiny, he was voiced by Cam Clarke aka Leonardo in the original TMNT cartoon

Filmation wasn’t the greatest cartoon studio. Most of their cartoons seemed to re-use the same cells of animation over and over. Filmation’s cartoons seemed to be aimed at kids only (besides maybe Star Trek - but that was never my cup of tea). At the end of the day though, MOTU was just an advert to sell toys to kids so it did it’s job well. I think Mattel originally wanted to sell Conan the Barbarian toys but when they found out that Conan was a film that was rated R, they scrapped the project and came up with He-Man instead.

I never saw the 2002 version of MOTU but heard it was quite good. I’d also lost interest by the time the New Adventures Of He-Man was around in 1990 but remember that being very different to the Filmation version.

• Paid Members

Asterix: The Secret of the Magic Potion is on Sky Movies Premiere this weekend.  Brings back fond memories of the comic books. Such a fun and endearing set of characters. They've done a good job of being faithful to the art style whilst using modern cgi.

Edited by BigJag
Flipping autocorrect.

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, BigJag said:

Asterix: The Secret of the Magic Potion is on Sky Movies Premiere this weekend.  Brings back fond memories of the comic books. Such a fun and endearing set of characters. They've done a good job of being faithful to the art style whilst using modern cgi.

I used to love taking those books out of the library as a kid. 

That is the reasoning behind MOTU. They all seemed to be doing cartoons as toy commercials back then. I think Reagan had introduced some laws relating to advertising and this was a loophole around it or something. 

• Paid Members

Yep. Same here. 4 books at a time from the library. All Asterix stories. 

Cartoons were just the best way to showcase toy products. Allowing the companies to build and develop the characters. Giving the toy line a reason to expand and grow.

Edited by BigJag

• Paid Members
On 8/11/2019 at 4:11 PM, LCJ said:

Netflix have got a Lupin the 3rd feature length cartoon from 1979 called “the Castle of Cagliostro”. Was quite surprised to see it on there as Lupin the 3rd isn’t very well known in the UK (or the US for that matter). The animation still looks good today. Definitely not a kid’s cartoon though.

It's an early, pre-Studio Ghibli, Hayao Miyazaki film - released in the early '90s in the UK, as manga/anime started to make waves here, and Ghibli in particular started garnering attention. Probably made its way on to Netflix as Ghibli are quite resistant to putting their stuff on streaming services, so they'd have gladly taken any Miyazaki work they could get their hands on.

• Paid Members
On 8/31/2019 at 12:05 PM, BigJag said:

Yep. Same here. 4 books at a time from the library. All Asterix stories.

I love Asterix and collect them. I've got all of the French ones plus pick up others as and when I spot them on my travels.

I make a point of getting the first one in the series in any language I've studied. These are some of the ones I've read:

1pKuJ7l.jpg

I've got a few more put to one side for whenever I get around to dipping into that particular language.

In preparation for a trip to Romania I did the usual formal studying but Santa Claus, knowing how I operate, also provided me with a few practice materials:

XBUOnWQ.jpg

We'll see how good of a job it's done within the next few days. We're currently in Bulgaria and I've popped into a couple of bookshops already with an eye on you-know-what!

(The comic books are great, although I'm bored of reading the first one. The cartoons are rubbish though. I've never made it through one.)

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Asterix in multiple languages is fantastic, just to see the different ways they approach the pun naming conventions.

Sometimes it's impossible. I've found that you can't beat the French originals.

I think my favourite instance of personal curiosity is always how they handle the Brit in Asterix in Britain. I love that the French one always starts his sentences with Je dis (I say) etc.

I'm not such a fan of the earlier books. The series really picks up when Obelix develops a personality. I think he ends up being more important to the stories than Asterix. I'd love to translate at least one of them myself; it's not out of the realms of possibility either :)

(It's just dawned on me how weird it is that I can say 'wild boar' in a dozen languages. Add that to the list of most unimpressive superpowers.)

• Paid Members

I think The 12 Tasks Of Asterix is on Netflix. 

There are some great jokes in the series which totally flew over my head as a kid. I like Asterix The Legionary, and the other ones where the Egyptian characters turn up because of the way they speak. Ptenisnet is a great character. I really need to have a proper reread of them.