Money In The Bank Is This Sunday On The WWE Network

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

This turn of phrase really annoys me. The belts aren't at all meaningless. They're the only storytelling tool they have. They are critically important because without them the entire premise for their show crumbles. With very few exceptions, nothing that isn't for a title, a title shot or revenge for a title loss or title shot loss matters at all.

My point is more that the belts, as currently booked by WWE, are meaningless/lacking in importance, not that they're inherently meaningless. It's a failure by WWE to utilise the tools available to them.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

My point is more that the belts, as currently booked by WWE, are meaningless/lacking in importance, not that they're inherently meaningless. It's a failure by WWE to utilise the tools available to them.

I know what you mean, it's just wrong. They're absolutley crucial to them and they're the only things presented on television as having any meaning. There are loads of things they could do better with them, particularly the defending of them in comparison to boxing or UFC and have two world titles presented on the same level but there's little doubt from watching their TV what is the be all and end all of the company. They're the only things presented in any meaningful manner.

This new belt, if indeed a brand new belt, would be the 18th belt in the company across 5 shows

Raw - Universal, US, Raw Tag, Raw Women’s 

Smackdown - WWE, IC, SD Tag, SD Women’s 

205 - Cruiserweight

NXT - NXT, North American, Tag, Women’s 

NXT UK - UK, Tag, Women’s 

Neutral - Women’s Tag, New Title

• Paid Members

I think that's arguably true of the two main titles, but of everything else?

On a day-to-day basis, I'd struggle to tell you who holds the secondary titles. Off-hand, I couldn't tell you who the Intercontinental Champion is. The only reason I can remember who the US Champion is is that I saw a match for it last night. 

The Smackdown tag champs were relegated to a non-title pre-show match. I'm not sure who the Women's Tag Champs are. I think maybe The Revival are RAW Tag Champs, but that's barely more than a guess.

Maybe they matter more than everything else going on, but mattering slightly more than fuck all still isn't a great place to be, and I'm not confident that a new title would bring any more substance to the shows than a stronger focus on the existing ones would. It's just another opportunity for "X has pinned the champion in a non-title match!" every week.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Maybe they matter more than everything else going on, but mattering slightly more than fuck all still isn't a great place to be, and I'm not confident that a new title would bring any more substance to the shows than a stronger focus on the existing ones would. It's just another opportunity for "X has pinned the champion in a non-title match!" every week.

Anything that isn't a Wildcard rule or another McMahon would bring more substance to the shows.

The focus is crucial. I know their methods aren't perfect and the pinning the champ in a non-title match is a horribly overused trope but god forbid the shows without the titles.

Interesting that AEW are already using titles they don't have yet to set things up on their shows. Hence the importance. It's one of the few things fans still truly buy.

• Paid Members

Some kind of wild card title? Have people compete for wildcard status, and the title is a little added secure spot? 

Given its Mick Foley you would think its possibly the hardcore title coming back, in this day of social media and the WWE Network they could do some really clever things with a 24/7 rule which for one I could probably watch the odd few minutes here & there rather than 3 hour shows every week. 

As for the PPV itself, as an overall show I thought it flowed quite well (didn't watch pre-show) and there were no real dud matches so was solid all the way through. I did (and still think) that Bray was behind Zayn being hung up as that's not something Braun or even Brock would do, it would kind of tie in with Bray's new character if people were to be taken/tied up like that and would be cool to see them go down that path over a few PPV's/shows. Brock could have taken advantage or taken someone else out anyway.

Speaking of Brock, I got a feeling he will go to Smackdown when it moves to Fox and probably cash in on the first TV Show to gain interest, then they will set up Roman vs Brock. I do like the idea of someone (Brock being the perfect person) having the case that doesn't really need it, almost a get out of jail free card, Brock having the belt & briefcase would be good in the sense that if he lost the belt he could cash in straight away to win it back, from an original/something different point of view anyway. 

Edited by Briefcase

31 minutes ago, Briefcase said:

Speaking of Brock, I got a feeling he will go to Smackdown when it moves to Fox and probably cash in on the first TV Show to gain interest, then they will set up Roman vs Brock.

I thought this to be honest.

Try and get Brock/Roman all primed for Wrestlemania 36, by which time everyone will be booing Roman again.

• Paid Members

The King is back. A great, surprise ending to a pretty average show. 

Rollins Vs Styles was really good, and the men's ladder match delivered, as expected. I wasn't fussed on anything else on the show though. Brock looking like the happiest man on earth at the top of the ladder got a big thumbs up from me though. 

Brock Lesnar might well be the greatest businessman in the history of wrestling. What a man. I'd genuinely love to see him batter Kofi for the belt, I can't think of many options less appealing than Rollins/Lesnar again.