The Tech Thread

Steve Justice

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Steve Justice said:

Anyone with an LG smart TV that's having issues with the apps? 

Mine started a couple of months ago where I'll be watching something on one app, and then Netflix would randomly load up. Now, I'm still having that issue but another problem has developed where an app will just close down. 

I've updated to the latest WebOS software and all apps are up to date. I'm just trying to figure out if it's just my TV or if it's a common issue that will hopefully get resolved. 

Had mine about 18 months (treated myself at the start of the first lockdown) and haven’t had any issues with it.

49 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

Not sure how old your TV is, but we’ve got a couple of the first WebOS sets and they’ve both been flashing up a message over the past few days saying the smart services are currently unavailable. The apps seems to work, though, so not sure if that’s related. It’s the first time we’ve seen the message in the 6 years we’ve owned them.

I've had mine for 3 years. I've not seen that message on mine either. 

I've searched twitter and googled the problem but I've not found anything. So it looks like it's just my TV. 

I might try fully resetting it. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Steve Justice said:

I've had mine for 3 years. I've not seen that message on mine either. 

Might be worth looking for your purchase date and seeing what the warranty is? If the warranty is say, 3 years and it’s just inside that timeframe you could try and chase a fix/replacement.

1 hour ago, Your Fight Site said:

Might be worth looking for your purchase date and seeing what the warranty is? If the warranty is say, 3 years and it’s just inside that timeframe you could try and chase a fix/replacement.

That's a good shout. I got it from John Lewis, so maybe still in warranty. 

8 minutes ago, Steve Justice said:

That's a good shout. I got it from John Lewis, so maybe still in warranty. 

Even if it's slightly out, John Lewis/Waitrose usually do everything they can to accommodate.

I got a new Samsung TV about 3 months ago and its incredibly unresponsive sometimes. It'll take an age to catch up with what I've selected, but I put it down to me just being impatient and perhaps the TV is just moving at the normal speed.

Unfortunately I can't find my proof of purchase anywhere. Hopefully a complete reset or software update will sort it.

On a seperate note. Has anyone had any experiece setting up a Netgear AC1200 access point/wifi extender? I'm following the instructions, but I'm falling at the first hurdle. It's connected to my router via ethernet and it's switched on, but when I go to the login url (aplogin.net) it just says 'You may not be connected to your Router’s WiFi network...', even though I definitley am. I've tried to get to the login page via different devices all with the same outcome.

Any ideas?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

What's the best way / kit to cast sky to a second room with minimal fucking about?

The back room was set up with a cable but now my mom's in the front room I want to make sure she can still watch whatever shites on a non Freeview channel when she's not feeling good.

She struggles with the DVD player, so the simpler to use once set up the better 

Edited by Tommy!

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Steve Justice said:

Does anyone know how to change the text size on this forum?

I've got a new phone and the text is quite small. Changing it in the browser settings has no affect on this site, and I can't see an option for it in the site settings itself.

Is it just this site or all sites?

If it's this site, you might be on the desktop version and not mobile. Scroll to the bottom of the page and it should say.

If it's all sites, then open your browser settings and within that accessibility. Then Text Scaling or Font Size and Style (your phone may be different) 

Changing that to 100% should do the trick.

1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

Is it just this site or all sites?

If it's this site, you might be on the desktop version and not mobile. Scroll to the bottom of the page and it should say.

If it's all sites, then open your browser settings and within that accessibility. Then Text Scaling or Font Size and Style (your phone may be different) 

Changing that to 100% should do the trick.

It's just this site and it's not on desktop view. Strangely, it's only posted text that doesn't change size. When I'm posting, the text size changes. 

Very odd. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, Wideload90 said:

Smartwatches. Mrs. W has an apple one and it's the best thing since sliced bread (apparently). I'm a shitty android (OnePlus) user and have no idea where to start. I'm looking to use it for messages and notifications.

Any recommendations greatly appreciated - no budget.

No budget as in limitless or no budget as in zero budget? 

I've had a few cheap Mi bands on the bounce, about £20 lasts a couple of years. Notifications are great and customisable, does lots of health stuff but you can't reply on the device. 

Eg. https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B089NS9JW2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_fabc_6KP5M4SYHZEW7ASZ8DGG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

If you have more money buy the latest Galaxy Watch you can afford. A friend has one and they're great. They've just released a new model.