The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members

Yeah I agree with Dai here, folding Bellator into PFL is the move, or not buying it at all and scooping up the bits you want after it folds. Bellator have lost their TV deal, so now the first port of call will be finding anyone that'll take a chance on a bust third brand at a time when all these media companies are cutting spending. 

19 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

Yeah I agree with Dai here, folding Bellator into PFL is the move, or not buying it at all and scooping up the bits you want after it folds. Bellator have lost their TV deal, so now the first port of call will be finding anyone that'll take a chance on a bust third brand at a time when all these media companies are cutting spending. 

You’ll probably find they have non-transferable talent contracts, and don’t want some of their best fighters walking out. Or international distribution details they don’t want to pay out of.

There’ll be a boring reason, as there’s no fun reason to keep Bellator running as a zombie promotion for 2 years.

Again, it still makes no sense to me as there isn't anyone of real importance fighting in Bellator. So to buy a whole company and run it for 2 years just so you have Ryan Bader and Pitbull under contract doesn't make any sense. They could release the entire roster tomorrow and the UFC would hardly pick any of them up. 

The TV deals doesn't make sense either, as I just keep going back to why, if this was the case, they would buy it in the first place? They could of just waited until Bellator sunk, which surely was only a matter of time, and took the handful of decent fighters who would be free agents. 

• 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

It's official:

The deal sounds extremely positive and good for the sport. I couldn't find anything to give clarity about the future and what it meant for bellator.

I really didn't want it to mean bellator is done and won't be running shows but it seems that's not the case and bellator will be continuing but the contracted fighters for bellator will also be allowed to fight over on PFL shows which means more opportunities and competition and that can't be a bad thing.

I guess we will see how it works in the new year but if it is that way I'm really excited for the future of MMA next year outside the UFC 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Yeah he specifically mentioned fighting at Villa Park. I highly doubt it actually happens but can you imagine if Leon Edwards of all people ended up fighting at UFC 300 and then headlining a stadium show for the UFC? You’d never have called that a few years ago. 

IMG_2621.jpeg

1 minute ago, wandshogun09 said:

Yeah he specifically mentioned fighting at Villa Park. I highly doubt it actually happens but can you imagine if Leon Edwards of all people ended up fighting at UFC 300 and then headlining a stadium show for the UFC? You’d never have called that a few years ago. 

IMG_2621.jpeg

Last time I went to Villa Park was for a Pokémon tournament on the original game boy but would definitely go back if they did a stadium show.

Hopefully Belal dosent end up sparking him out at 300 and ruining it. Given how long it took for him to get a title shot I doubt he’d get a quick rematch!