The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

Imagine if Masvidal got that fight and won? Welterweight champion with a record of 1-3, no wins in almost three and a half years? Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

Of course, they can't really announce anything until after February 27th, which is two and a half weeks before the London show. Masvidal is facing a charge on that date of aggravated battery and criminal mischief for his bullshit sneak attack on Covington. If found guilty he could be looking at up to 15 years behind bars in Florida.

I know there's "beef" between him and Edwards, but is that really the kind of dude to be handing preferential treatment to? 

6 hours ago, David said:

Imagine if Masvidal got that fight and won? Welterweight champion with a record of 1-3, no wins in almost three and a half years? Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

Of course, they can't really announce anything until after February 27th, which is two and a half weeks before the London show. Masvidal is facing a charge on that date of aggravated battery and criminal mischief for his bullshit sneak attack on Covington. If found guilty he could be looking at up to 15 years behind bars in Florida.

I know there's "beef" between him and Edwards, but is that really the kind of dude to be handing preferential treatment to? 

Fucking hell if that's the case surely there is no way In hell they can 

1. Wait till that close too announce the main event of a numbered ufc ppv 

2. Potentially have him packed off to jail leaving them without anything 2 weeks out 

• 5 months later...
  • Paid Members

Ahh this is grim. Bellator fighter Chris Lencioni suffered a heart attack and as a result has a pretty serious brain injury. Id seen he'd had a heart attack a day or so ago but didnt realise he's suffered the brain injury. He was scheduled to fight James Gallagher on an upcoming card. Poor bloke, heartbreaking:

FB_IMG_1687961525401.thumb.jpg.36fbfa88fbe1015ee766b8dc526dc2c0.jpg

https://www.mmafighting.com/2023/6/28/23776403/cristopher-lencioni-update-bellator-vet-suffered-brain-injury-wife-asks-public-for-help

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

205 in turmoil again. MMA Junkie are reporting Jamaal Hill is injured, with a ruptured Achilles, and has vacated the belt. Rough injury right there. Is Jiri nearly healthy to come back to come and steer this division right again?

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Still the belt on the line in the Blachowicz/Pereira fight and we rollin'

What date is that one? Is that the PPV at the end of this month?

• Paid Members

Yeah, 291 on July 29th.

It’s not ideal and Pereira’s done literally nothing to warrant it but given the mess the division is in currently, fuck it, I wouldn’t have a problem with it.

205’s an absolute shambles though. Mad to think it used to be considered the division with most of the top stars in the days of Liddell, Ortiz, Couture, Wanderlei, Rampage etc. How times change. Even when Jiri comes back, who knows if he’ll ever be right again. Shoulder injuries can be a slippery slope and his was supposed to be a really bad one. In an ideal world I’d love to see Jiri vs Pereira though, so I’m hoping that happens at some point. Beyond that, there really isn’t much to get excited about on the horizon at 205. 

Edited by wandshogun09

7 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Stick the belt on the line in the Blachowicz/Pereira fight and we rollin'

It’s not the worst idea and who else is there at the moment anyway. You’d assume when Jiri is back he will be fighting for the belt anyway. 

Just now, wandshogun09 said:

It’s not ideal and Pereira’s done literally nothing to warrant it but given the mess the division is in currently, fuck it, I wouldn’t have a problem with it.

Plus, Pereira being a two-division champion  will no doubt rile the fuck out of Izzy, and I'm all about that.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Bruce85 said:

It’s not the worst idea and who else is there at the moment anyway. You’d assume when Jiri is back he will be fighting for the belt anyway. 

Ankalaev is the one who seems the most obvious. He went to a draw with Blachowicz in December in a fight that was supposed to crown the new champion. But he’s been inactive since, there hasn’t even been any talk of when his next fight will be and he’s been quite boring lately. He’s the main one who would have a legitimate gripe if he’s left out though. And, as crazy as it sounds, Johnny Walker is coming off 3 wins. Not many are at 205 so he actually might be in the running now.

Make it happen. 

IMG_0960.jpeg

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Those two heavy weight divisions in the UFC are in a perilous position at the moment. As noted above, 205 is a far cry from the Liddell era years and the Jones/Cormier/Gusty years. It's a bit of a mess. Heavyweight though - if Stipe doesn't beat Jones, then it's very conceivable that both of them walk out the door right after the MSG show. After that, Blaydes and Gane are both damaged goods. And that's after the real world champ has already left Dana crying into his supper when nobody's looking. 

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

Heavyweight though - if Stipe doesn't beat Jones, then it's very conceivable that both of them walk out the door right after the MSG show. After that, Blaydes and Gane are both damaged goods. And that's after the real world champ has already left Dana crying into his supper when nobody's looking. 

Time for Big Tom to step up and become the first UK UFC Heavyweight champ! 

StruggleFaceTom.gif

• 3 months later...