The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

New thread as Neil closed the last one. I know megathreads suck, but we need a general news thread for MMA surely, as not every discussion is worthy of an individual thread. Maybe one every year? Keep it fresh? Let's try that.

Anyway, as I said in the last thread, I actually have to give Dana and the UFC credit for the support they're offering T-Ferg. I had a feeling that they'd just distance themselves and leave him be, but that they've seemingly come out and offered support can only be a good thing.

Edited by David

1 minute ago, ColinBollocks said:

I agree on the need for a general one, but we should definitely all come to an agreement that thingsĀ like this T-Ferg controversy deserve its own thread. It's one of the more compelling stories in recent months.

Feel free to throw one up, it's certainly a compelling topic, although I reckon it may well expand beyond the T-Ferg situation to other fighters as well eventually.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

I agree on the need for a general one, but we should definitely all come to an agreement that thingsĀ like this T-Ferg controversy deserve its own thread. It's one of the more compelling stories in recent months.

im all for more seperate threads being created, keeps the discussion abit more isolated. A general thread is needed though too though.

UFC President Dana White wonā€™t be leaving his role with the company any time soon.

White today revealed that heā€™s signed a new seven-year deal with UFC parent company Endeavor that will keep him as president of the leading MMA organization.

Yipee.

Edited by David

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

so you get them chucked in like the WWE Network?

Nope. It's 50/60 bills plus your monthly fee.

Folk are slagging them off because they are likely getting a higher percentage of their PPV earnings but aren't arsed about reducing the price for their fans.

I imagine this is them seeing how it plays out for the future, as I imagine the goal is doing the PPV on Fight Pass for all the coin.

Edited by ColinBollocks

1 hour ago, ColinBollocks said:

Nope. It's 50/60 bills plus your monthly fee.

Folk are slagging them off because they are likely getting a higher percentage of their PPV earnings but aren't arsed about reducing the price for their fans.

I imagine this is them seeing how it plays out for the future, as I imagine the goal is doing the PPV on Fight Pass for all the coin.

Yeah, mentioned this in the other thread. Shitty deal for UFC fans that don't get access to BT like we do over here. If you fancy purchasing a UFC PPV in America, you need to have an ESPN+ account ($4.99) a month in order to buy a show (still $59.99) - rightly getting criticism, because it's just more money in the pocket of Dana and co without any benefit to the fans.

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, AdamTH17 said:

Yeah, mentioned this in the other thread. Shitty deal for UFC fans that don't get access to BT like we do over here. If you fancy purchasing a UFC PPV in America, you need to have an ESPN+ account ($4.99) a month in order to buy a show (still $59.99) - rightly getting criticism, because it's just more money in the pocket of Dana and co without any benefit to the fans.

No benefit to the fans? Do you not realise how many interim title fights they're going to get to see?

• Paid Members

a large portion of fans will likely have ESPN+ too wont they? Its a pretty sweet deal for the price it costs. Its only a matter of time before we get these digital subscription sports packages over here.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, David said:

At the end of the day, the fans aren't forced to buy, are they? There's plenty of ways to access UFC PPV's in today's digitally enlightened age.Ā 

Fans can keep their money in their pocket if they so choose.

That's pretty much a given, and it's very likely they will vote with their feet. I think the annoyance is more at the arrogance and contempt for their customers that led to ESPN making this decision to try and fleece them like this in the first place, in addition to the lack of value for money.

Edited by Carbomb

1 minute ago, Carbomb said:

That's pretty much a given, and it's very likely they will vote with their feet. I think the annoyance is more at the arrogance and contempt for their customers that led to ESPN making this decision to try and fleece them like this in the first place, in addition to the lack of value for money.

I'm not so sure I'd put much of the blame at the feet of ESPN to be honest, they're just providing the platform for UFC PPV events. On their side it means that instead of the shows being available from different providers, as well as the UFC site, they are now all available in one place, and there's now no confusion over where you have to order from to ensure that you can access the event on a Firestick, AppleTV, Roku and other devices.Ā 

It simplifies things in that regard.

Pricing is purely down to the UFC, and we've seen that the owners are cash-hungry. They'll push and push until the fans reach a breaking point at which time they'll realise they can't go any further. This move suggests that breaking point hasn't been met. Yet.

• Paid Members

Well, let's just hope the larger part of the fandom draw the line. MMA isn't like the Big Four sports in the US, or like football here - it's not a "religion" to its fans like those sports are, so they may not get away with it. And, with Bellator seemingly starting show a bit of competition in terms of talent acquisition through free agency, their near-invincible brand might, if they're not careful, start to sport a few hairline cracks. Not enough to break their domination, obviously, but enough to tell them to wind their necks in.