The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members

Yeah the Smashes was bags of fun. I was always a big fan of George Sotiropolous going in, but he sure did a number on himself here. Total heel come the end. 

Outside of TUF 10, every other season has kinda blurred in my head due to over saturation, but the Brit/Aus dynamic here really made for some good TV. I'll never forget some of the Aussie lads faces when they clock Freakshow wearing his little pink hat for the first time. 

Crikey, ya Pom.

Edited by Silky Kisser

Met Pearson a few times, and he was always a class act. Never played the big shot (even though he could have at the time), was always super-friendly and really courteous despite me being a know-nothing BJJ chump at the time (I still am in all honesty) He was a good lad, and hopefully he's banked enough to live comfortably.

1 minute ago, Egg Shen said:

Just came here to post that. Horrible news.

It's been a really shitty year in terms of high-profile fighters being in the media spotlight for mental or physical health issues. Hughes, Ferguson and now B.J. I hope he gets pulled from UFC 237, surely he can't be going into that in the right frame of mind with these accusations ongoing.

• Paid Members

Just seen on MMAJunkie that Lodune Sincaid from TUF 1 is dead. He was only 45. Haven’t seen a cause of death yet. I’m sure he talked about having problems with alcohol on the show but don’t know if that’s anything to do with it. Shame regardless. 45 is fuck all. 

15 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

I’m sure he talked about having problems with alcohol on the show

Aye, it was a key theme in one episode. His Wiki page says that he was also Bipolar. It also infers that he cleaned himself up at one point, and focused on maintaining a healthy lifestyle with proper medication. 45 is no age to go regardless. 

I remember that Sincaid was horribly cast on TUF. He was required to fight at Light Heavyweight, when it was clear that he was better suited for Middleweight. He wasn't the only one fighting in the wrong weightclass. Sanchez, Swick and others faced the same problem. Different time back then. It wasn't a surprise when the much bigger Southworth stopped Sincaid in an early episode. 

• Paid Members

Southworth vs Sincaid was actually the first ever TUF fight, wasn’t it? 

And yeah, guys fighting in the wrong weight classes were all over the shop those first few seasons. Kenny Florian at 185 on TUF 1 and Rashad Evans at heavyweight on TUF 2 spring to mind. 

• Paid Members

He was one of the least memorable on that first season for me but I still instantly knew who he was when I saw the name. I don’t think I could name the last 5 actual TUF winners now. That first season really was stamped in the memory wasn’t it. Well the first few really. TUF 10 was the peak, both in terms of ratings and quality. It was very hit and miss (more miss) after that. Best seasons post-10 for me were probably the Smashes and Rousey vs Tate. 

• Paid Members

They did another one of those press conferences last night with all the fighters in the top fights over the next few months; 

Haven’t even watched it yet but they’re usually good. Did see this from it though; 😆

76F698FD-11DE-4300-A307-1365EC8BA28B.jpeg

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 8:23 PM, wandshogun09 said:

Yeah I think when Pearson and G-Sot were announced as coaches a lot of people were a bit underwhelmed. But the rivalry grew legs and became a lot of fun to watch. The unexpected ‘heel turn’ of G-Sot got me invested anyway and I wanted to see Pearson annihilate him by the time the season wrapped up. On top of that you had the country vs country thing before it was a tired concept, and Freakshow Fletcher! I might have to revisit that season if I ever get time. It’d make for interesting viewing now to look back on the start of Robert Whittaker’s UFC career as well. 

Even made a PPV main card off the back of his appearance on the Smashes, showing what that show could still do for you.  Yeah he lost, was woefully outclassed from what I remember and then cut (his second loss in a row) but still pretty darn impressive by him.