The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members

Very winnable at this stage as well. Allen is really good he just hasn’t had that big break yet. And Melendez has been on the slide for a while. 

That aside, that design isn’t for the actual poster is it? Every fight that’s been announced for 239 so far has had that design and it’s bloody awful. I’ve got stuff stuck on my fridge door that my daughter scribbled at school which looks like more time went into it than that. But she’s 5. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Melendez is still a UFC fighter? Really? Thought he called it a day a while back.

Edit: Just checked and he's 1-5 since 2012. Jeeez.

Edited by Chunk

Melendez's losses between 2013-2015 are a bit misleading. Most felt he deserved the nod against Benson. He also gave Pettis all sorts of issues before being caught in the 2nd round of their fight. The Alvarez fight was also very close and went to a split decision. He also faced these opponents at the peak of their careers.

I didn't see his last two fights. I will assume that he looked past-it in both fights. Thus, it was probably in 2016 where his decline kicked in. Whether his decline is a consequence of age, a long career, or the implementation of USADA (he got busted for testosterone metabolites after the Alvarez fight) is anyone's guess. 

• Paid Members

Yeah his last win was that war with Diego Sanchez in 2013! That seems like a lifetime ago now. But it’s not just that he hasn’t won in a while. Like you say, the Benson and Alvarez fights were mega close (I had him beating Benson) and he looked good early against Pettis. But he looked a bit crap against Stephens in his last fight, from what I remember, and not too good against Barboza before that. He’s been so inactive as well. Partly down to the USADA suspension but even without that he’s been injured a lot. He’s fought only 4 times in 5 years. Most of them with good sized gaps between fights and now he’s been out another 2 years. At 37, I just think his day as a top lightweight is gone. To be expected really. He’s been in some wars and had a long old career. The performances haven’t been there his last couple of fights, the injuries suggest his body might be breaking down and the fact he got popped by USADA in the first place was a sign to me that he knew he was on the decline and was getting desperate. You never know with anyone but I wouldn’t have had Melendez down as a PED user earlier in his career. I reckon he started using late in his career to try to recover from injuries and keep up with the younger 155ers and it backfired. I don’t know, I just get the feeling he’s on the way out and have done for a while. If he’d been more active the last 4 years he’d probably have taken some bad beatings by now from the likes of Ferguson, Poirier, Gaethje etc and been done already. The USADA thing has just delayed the inevitable, IMO. 

• Paid Members

I wish I'd caught Giblert in his prime - I've only really seen his most recent fights, and he's great to watch, but he's been mostly on the losing end, which is a shame. 

I would recommend Gilbert's fights with Josh Thomson in Strikeforce. In particular, their 2nd and 3rd meetings.

Fair point about Gill slowing down due to wear and tear. I remember watching him for the first time in 2006, when he fought in the early Strikeforce shows and Pride. There aren't many lighter weight fighters from that era, if any, who are still major players today. 

• Paid Members

I’ve just spunked so much at that announcement I think my wife is pregnant again. 

I was actually going to do the 238 thread yesterday as well. Glad I didn’t bother now. 

Anyone else sick to death of shit like this though; 

AC4-F9-A7-D-4-BB8-49-F6-A51-A-07-A9-A067

The answer is surely Justin Gaethje or jail. 

But does fucking everything have to be about Conor Cunting McGregor all the time? A potential FOTY gets announced, it’s only weeks away and this twat’s thinking about Conor? Reminds me of when Max Holloway smashed Brian Ortega in December in a great fight where he gave one of the performances of the year...and Chael jumps on Twitter going ‘Which raises the question, just how good is Conor McGregor?’ Fuck off.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Guy Bifkin said:

Who cares it's a great fight!

Well, yeah, it's a great fight. It just doesn't seem that long ago that we were all saying what a good thing it was Tony was taking time out because he appeared to have some serious mental health issues. 

• Paid Members

Really not sure I feel comfortable with Ferguson fighting again already. I hope it's a sign that the help he was able to find was of a high standard and able to make a difference to his health in such a short period of time. I don't want to see him end up a sad story when the warning signs have been made clear and put out in the open the last few months.

On the other hand, it's Tony's life and between him and his family, his doctor's and the UFC, so I guess we have to trust at this point that they have thought this through, he's passed tests, and they all feel he is capable and healthy enough to do this. 

• Paid Members

It does seem quick, yeah. There is always the risk that Tony is rushing back before he’s ready which I hope isn’t what’s happening. Even before he fought Pettis last year, we were saying then that he seemed to be rushing his recovery from his knee injury. I mean you can see why he’s wanting back in there. He’s in the hottest division in the game and he’s right at the top of it, was the interim champ not long ago and was nipping at the heels of Khabib and the McGregor payday. You can see why he’d rush back but it’s a worry. Hopefully he’s good to go. If he is then this is going to be a fantastic fight. 

1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

The answer is surely Justin Gaethje or jail. 

If Khabib and Poirier get injured or go AWOL, I won't be surprised if McGregor gets another title shot. I also suspect that such a scenario might already be in the back of Dana's mind. 

It's easy for us lot to dismiss Conor's existence. We don't stand to profit by giving him attention, and most on here are seemingly bored of him anyway. But as tedious as Conor is these days, and he is very tedious, the MMA media are going to milk his name for all its worth. He still generates more clicks than anyone else in MMA (sadly). It's not just casual MMA fans and media members that are fixated with him either. McGregor is mentioned that often on the Sherdog forums, an outlet for dedicated MMA fans, that some disgruntled members have requested that he have his own section. So aye, expect McGregor-mania to continue to run wild for a little while longer. 

On a more positive note, there is a lot of good stuff happening at the minute in MMA.

Edited by jimufctna24