The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

A welterweight fight between Nate Diaz and Anthony Pettis has been verbally agreed for UFC 241.

Fuck. That’s the same card as Cormier vs Miocic 2 and Romero vs Costa! 

• Paid Members

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2019/5/13/18617321/tom-duquesnoy-announces-retirement-from-mma-at-age-25-ufc-mma-news

Tom Duquesnoy has retired at 25. Didn't see that one coming, was actually thinking the other day that it was about time he announced a fight. Real buzz about him when he joined the UFC too.

• Paid Members

Neil Magny is out of his fight with Vicente Luque this weekend. He's had a USADA flag put on him. Magny decided to make public the reason for his removal from the fight. 

https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/5/14/18623971/neil-magny-announces-failed-usada-test-that-led-to-ufc-rochester-withdrawal

• Paid Members

I'm getting worse at this predicting carry on. I would have had Aoki by submission and Sage by decision, not face planting KO's all over the shop. 

In other news, Robbie Lawler will need a new opponent for his upcoming Fight Night in Minnesota, as Woodley is injured. 

https://www.f4wonline.com/ufc-news/tyron-woodley-out-robbie-lawler-ufc-minnesota-rematch-283981

I could see Santiago Ponzinibio offering to step in. Followed by Lawler and his cold, dead stare telling him very calmly, that he can have all the pain that he thinks he can handle. 

Edited by WeeAl

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Tyron Woodley is out of the fight with Robbie Lawler in June 29th due to injury.

Darren Till, Santiago Ponzinibbio and Elizeu Zaleski all want to replace him

Any of them would do nicely. In fact, I’d actually prefer them to Woodley vs Lawler 2. That was a rematch I was always lukewarm on, to be honest. 

Of the 3 names there I think I’d choose Ponzinibbio if I had my way. But Till would be fun and Zaleski is a beast. Him and Lawler could actually be awesome. What’s Mike Perry up to? I’ve wanted to see him and Lawler throw down for a while now. 

Anyone notice on the One Championship bout that just before Northcutt is caught by that KO blow his foot ends up slightly under the ropes and touches a fucking camera tripod? Not that it was the reason he got caught, but you see a shift in his posture as it happens, which wouldn't have helped.

Another reason why a cage is always better.

Another gripe with One for me is that fucking commentator. He's been using that "goodnight Irene" line for years, the cunt.