The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

4 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

DC also said, now that Brock can't be doing with it, he wants another Jones fight at LHW. DC said it's because he wants that LHW win against him, but I also think he knows Jones has a good chance of beating him at HW and, as such, that puts another dent in his legacy as "best HW ever".

Man, it must suck to lose your relatively easy big money fight. He'd probably figured on banking that coin, and now he realises that Jones is the only fight close to "big money" out there for him.

Seeing DC cry his way into retirement will be something special.

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, David said:

Man, it must suck to lose your relatively easy big money fight. He'd probably figured on banking that coin, and now he realises that Jones is the only fight close to "big money" out there for him.

Seeing DC cry his way into retirement will be something special.

That cut is going to be brutal for him too, surely, He struggled (cheated) enough towards the end of his LHW run. Two years or so at HW aren't going to make it any easier.

• Paid Members

Seems a bit odd to me that he'd choose not to do it at HW, as he probably has more of a chance of beating Jones at that weight than he thinks. Jones has never fought at HW, so, fight genius though he is, might have trouble adjusting in his first match in the division, full fight camp or no. Plus it potentially could give DC a little bit of a psychological "blank slate", so to speak - HW is more his territory, he wouldn't have to go through as stressful a cut, and it's a division he hasn't been beaten in.

I just don't see the point in fighting Jones at 205. LHW is Jones' house, simple. DC cannot beat him at that weight, it's been established, quite convincingly, twice. If he's that scared of the possibility of losing to him at HW, he's got no chance of getting that elusive LHW win. Either fight him at heavyweight, or not at all.

• Paid Members

Another thing comes to mind: if he really wants a money fight with Jones, then he'll get the most money out of a HW match. We've seen what happens at 205 - at least there'll be a curiosity factor about a HW match, about whether or not it was simply a case of a natural heavyweight fighting out of his depth against the best 205 fighter ever, and will he reverse that scenario at HW. It might be bollocks, but at the very least it might hook more people asking those questions, as opposed to none who've already had the previous ones answered twice.

• Paid Members

Another outside possibility, and I know it’s probably the least likely, if he loses to Stipe maybe they just go straight into the rubber match. 

It’ll be Jones again though. And although I’ll obviously be watching it, I’m so over the Jones vs DC thing at this point. I love DC and I can’t stand Jones but I just think Jones is better. Maybe not miles better but he’s enough better in enough areas that he’ll probably always win. He has DC’s number, he’s in his head and even if heavyweight is DC’s home, I still see Jones just walking into that home, sitting in DC’s favourite chair, putting his feet up, grabbing the remote and telling DC’s wife to bring him a cuppa while he decides what they’re watching. He’s a shit but he’s the Daddy when it comes to MMA and I don’t see anyone stopping him for a good while until either a) his form eventually dips to beatable levels or b) he takes himself out of the game by doing something stupid outside the cage. While he keeps fighting and stays at his current level I don’t see him losing. There’s nobody on the horizon at the moment I see beating him. 

If we must see Jones vs DC 3 though, it should be at heavyweight. The only reason I can think to not do it at heavyweight is like what Colin says, if Cormier thinks Jones will ruin his heavyweight legacy as well. But if DC is thinking like that what’s the point even doing it at all? Nobody’s beating Jones with that kind of defeatist attitude. Plus if DC really believed he can beat Jones then rather than fear what it could do to his heavyweight legacy, it would surely make it more appealing to do the fight at heavyweight. Even if DC beat Jones at 205, he still loses the trilogy. Regardless of the second fight officially being ruled a No Contest after the fact, everyone saw him get stopped and in the eyes of nearly everyone it’s 2-0 to Jones. So even with a win at 205 it’s 2-1. A win at heavyweight would be 1-0 at that weight and he could forever spin it as ‘I fought at his weight twice and he had to cheat. We fought clean at my weight and I beat him’. Of course there’d be holes all over that logic but it’s something he could tell himself to feel like he really won in the end. I just can’t see the point in doing it at 205 again. That book’s been written. Unless like Colin says, deep down DC knows it’ll fuck him up in 2 divisions. I’d rather everyone just move on. 

• Paid Members

I never thought DC was going to rigidly stick to the March deadline, but it wasn't because I thought he was just going to keep hanging on and completely change his mind on retirement.

We all knew UFC were going to struggle to get the Brock fight done by March, if at all, so I expected one more fight, but that it would take longer to make it happen. Now though it seems DC has done a full turnaround on the notion of retiring in the next while. 

Cormier got well paid for the Lewis fight. If you believe the stories, he made out as well from that fight as he did from UFC 200 and the two bouts with Jones (rumoured to be in the $3.5 - 4m range to save a show that still didn't perform on PPV). That ended up being the big money he was hoping for. With a Lesnar carrot dangled, it was very understandable that DC was going to hang on for another while. Once that fell through though, he doesn't have a tonne to gain by fighting on and facing Stipe again. His wallet won't benefit as well as the Lewis fight as there isn't the leverage there at this point as there was then. Plus, Stipe is just as likely to win the fight as DC is - Stipe is a killer. It'll be pretty hard to win it more easily than he did the first time.

It's all clearer now though that what DC is really holding on for is that he can't let go of Jon Jones. Fair enough, if he believes he can beat him and wants another shot. I thought he could in the lead up to the second fight, and he was doing great during it. Until he wasn't. If Cormier wants to fight Jones again, it'll surely happen, but I don't like his chances of retiring on a sweet victory like he would have, had he went last July, or last November or after the Brock fight that never was. Stipe part II or Jones part III might both just end in crushing disappointment. 

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

Cormier got well paid for the Lewis fight. If you believe the stories, he made out as well from that fight as he did from UFC 200 and the two bouts with Jones (rumoured to be in the $3.5 - 4m range to save a show that still didn't perform on PPV). That ended up being the big money he was hoping for. With a Lesnar carrot dangled, it was very understandable that DC was going to hang on for another while. Once that fell through though, he doesn't have a tonne to gain by fighting on and facing Stipe again. His wallet won't benefit as well as the Lewis fight as there isn't the leverage there at this point as there was then. Plus, Stipe is just as likely to win the fight as DC is - Stipe is a killer. It'll be pretty hard to win it more easily than he did the first time.

According to DC he's made enough money already to last his retirement (plus a silly amount of good money offers post fighting). As discussed, I think Dana will throw him enough money to keep him about for a couple of fights, at least.

DC casually dropped in the conversation that he had back surgery in December too.