The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members

It feels like Stipe is going completely on Brock not actually wanting to fight. If the UFC need a Heavyweight title fight in August or September, the chances are that Jones, JDS and Ngannou will all be unable to turn around quickly enough. 

If Stipe is unbooked and Lesnar doesn't take up the option to fight, he could slide in there. However, if Lesnar does fight DC, then Stipe may never get another title shot, as the Ngannou/JDS winner will be ahead of him in the line as well as Jones Vs DC, on top of the possible summer Lesnar fight. 

It's a risky option. I think his best idea would be to try and get booked on that July card against any warm body he can find, and be available for drop outs should Santos/Francis/JDS/Lesnar etc all not make their booked/rumoured fights. 

• Paid Members
On 3/30/2019 at 11:42 AM, wandshogun09 said:

239 in July looks ridiculous already. 

Jon Jones vs Thiago Santos 

Amanda Nunes vs Holly Holm 

Junior Dos Santos vs Francis Ngannou 

Jan Blachowicz vs Luke Rockhold 

Ben Askren vs Jorge Masvidal 

Some card, that. 

Wow. That's 5 main events. 

• Paid Members

I’d have been pitching a tent at that fight announcement a few years ago but Erick Silva just doesn’t seem with it these days. He’s looked off for ages. He had those great fights with Jon Fitch and Matt Brown then his form fell off a cliff and never really came back. It’ll still probably be good, just not quite what it could’ve been. 

Pair of dickheads. The best part is Rumble lazily holding back Paulie with one hand, clearly disinterested in this petty bollocks.

When is their scrap meant to be happening by the way?

Edited by AdamTH17

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, AdamTH17 said:

Pair of dickheads. The best part is Rumble lazily holding back Paulie with one hand, clearly disinterested in this petty bollocks.

When is their scrap meant to be happening by the way?

they aren't fighting, Lobov fights Jason Knight on the next show, Paulie will fight someone else first as well. Plans have to be to do the fight eventually though.

• Paid Members

Ross Pearson has hung up the gloves. Comes a couple of years late despite being relatively young at 34. Pearson lost 6 of his last 7 fights and is a great example of someone who probably would have been better off dropping down a peg or two in terms of levels. Still, Pearson is as game as they come and has earned his status as a bit of a UK pioneer the hardway. 

Any favorite Ross Pearson moments? Ths Sam Stout KO has to be up there.

• Paid Members

I met Ross Pearson in passing at the Gustafsson vs Manuwa show in London a few years back. He was doing the desk pundit bit for BT Sport along with Caroline Pearce and GAD News Brown. He was taking pictures with people as we were going back to our seats and he had a quick chat with us and was proper sound. Just really normal. Like anyone you’d work with or see in your local. Conor McGregor and Dee also walked past us as we were waking about down by cageside between fights. He winked at my missus. That memory’s taken a more sinister twist in hindsight. 

Anyway, as for Pearson highlights, it’ll always be his stint coaching the excellent TUF Smashes season in 2012. One of the last great TUFs. And then knocking out dickhead George Sotiropoulos in the coaches fight at the Finale.

I recall his fight with Aaron Riley in Manchester in 2009 being really fun as well. That was his first UFC fight after winning TUF and it seemed like he had so much potential back then. 

He also had a couple of decisions go against him that I thought he won against Edson Barboza and Diego Sanchez. They would’ve been big wins for him at the time. I remember the Barboza fight being close, to be fair. The judging in the Sanchez fight was terrible though. I always try to refrain from using the term ‘robbery’ unless it’s really warranted because it gets overused a lot and usually it’s just a close fight that could’ve gone either way. This wasn’t that though. Pearson got robbed that night. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Yeah I think when Pearson and G-Sot were announced as coaches a lot of people were a bit underwhelmed. But the rivalry grew legs and became a lot of fun to watch. The unexpected ‘heel turn’ of G-Sot got me invested anyway and I wanted to see Pearson annihilate him by the time the season wrapped up. On top of that you had the country vs country thing before it was a tired concept, and Freakshow Fletcher! I might have to revisit that season if I ever get time. It’d make for interesting viewing now to look back on the start of Robert Whittaker’s UFC career as well. 

• Paid Members

Banned for EPO use, the same kind of thing cyclists use. It can only be administered through a drip so there goes any tainted supplement argument. Knew it was gonna be bad the moment he relinquished the title without a fight, caught red handed.

Add me to those who enjoyed The Smashes. Pretty much for the reasons mentioned above. I recall a rumour that someone floored G-Sot in the car park during the show's filming. But I don't think the incident ever made the air. There was always something a bit snooty about G-Sot. He rubbed people the wrong way on TUF 6. 

It was the last TUF season that I really got into. I gave up on the series entirely the following year. The Sonnen vs Jones series did nothing for me. And the show never really interested me after that.