The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

Dillashaw being popped by USADA is bullshit. They stopped the test too early! He was just about to piss clean before they cut him off!

Chuffed for the big winner here, which is Moraes. He was looking likely to be unfairly shafted in favour of another Cejudo/Dillashaw fight for the Bantamweight title, but now he's got absolutely no reason to be denied a crack.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, AdamTH17 said:

Ā 

Chuffed for the big winner here, which is Moraes. He was looking likely to be unfairly shafted in favour of another Cejudo/Dillashaw fight for the Bantamweight title, but now he's got absolutely no reason to be denied a crack.

Garbrandt must be guttedĀ too. If he had beaten Munhoz i could see them going with Moraes/Garbrandt for the vacant strap, this was his way to leap frog the queue.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Ah!

@ColinBollocksĀ was saying the UFC were getting slagged off by fans forĀ notĀ reducing their prices. Sounds like they've done OK there then.

Yeah. I read the prices were staying the same. ColinBollocks, indeed.

Also, what a knob TJ is. I was right looking forward to Our Olympic Hero taking TJ's belt too.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Garbrandt must be guttedĀ too. If he had beaten Munhoz i could see them going with Moraes/Garbrandt for the vacant strap, this was his way to leap frog the queue.

Thatā€™s a blessing in disguise IMO. I thinkĀ Moraes wouldā€™ve fucked Cody up. Bad. I get why Cody probably looks at this situation and thinks it couldā€™ve been his way back into the title picture, but I think Munhoz did him a favour by knocking him out, oddly enough. Moraes wouldā€™ve done it worse, I reckon.Ā 

• Paid Members

https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/3/19/18273343/donald-cerrone-vs-al-iaquinta-targeted-to-headline-ufc-ottawa

Well, that seems to put the final nail in the Conor Vs Cerrone coffin then. Cerrone Vs Raging 'Al, pegged for a UFC fight night headliner, according to ESPN and MMA Fighting. It's either Poirier, Holloway or Khabib next for McGregor by the looks of it.Ā 

Cerrone Vs Iaquinta is a hell of a fight though and I'm really not sure who wins it. I'm glad that since they have went with it, the UFC are giving it the five rounds, should they need it.Ā 

Edited by WeeAl
Posted in the Dillashaw thread instead

There is speculation that the announcement of Cerrone vs Iaquinta might pave the way for McGregor vs Diaz 3. McGregor mentioned the fight in an interview and Helwani has hinted that it's a possibility.Ā 

I presume Conor wants to make some dough fighting Diaz before chasing the Khabib rematch. But Diaz is a very risky fight for him. He only just beat him in the rematch.Ā 

• Paid Members

Diaz Vs McGregor three is still huge though, meaning it's worth the risk and is McGregor's most likely chance of a win out of the people he would entertain fighting (Khabib, Diaz, GSP before he retired and anybody with a title belt of either variety).Ā 

The fight announcements are coming in thick and fast today, as Kevin Lee Vs Rafael Dos Anjos has been announced as the Welterweight main event for a May Fight Night in Rochester New York. That could be a great fight. Both men desperately need a win. Lee is moving up and giving himself a very difficult starting point in the division, but likewise for RDA, he's facing yet another quality wrestler in Kevin Lee on the back of Kamaru Usman and Colby Covington giving him a really rough time of it.Ā 

https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/3/20/18274793/rafael-dos-anjos-vs-kevin-lee-to-meet-in-welterweight-main-event-of-ufc-rochester

Edited by WeeAl

Diaz will have been out of action for three years if he faces Conor later this year, and for that reason alone I think Conor probably wins. They're both relatively evenly matched in the cage for me, with Diaz being more skilled as a fighter, but less skilled in brain power. He'll easily be drawn into a slugfest with McG when he should go in and look to take McG to the ground and sub him with his superior ground skills.

He won't though, because he's "gangsta, muthafucka!"

• Paid Members

Really love Cowboy vsĀ Iaquinta and Dos Anjos vs Lee. Great fights and especially as 5 rounders.Ā 

Guess this means weā€™ll probably be gettingĀ Woodley vs Ponzinibbio as well,Ā which I wouldnā€™t be mad at at all.Ā 

Ā 

White appeared on a recent episode of UFC Unfiltered and said the promotion is now looking at a bout between Askren and Masvidal for a potential No. 1 contender spot. White expressed his disinclination to match Masvidal with Leon Edwards, who was victorious that same night and got into an altercation with Masvidal backstage afterwards, claiming that while it might be a good fit due to the personal animosity involved, it did not make competitive sense for either fighter.

ā€œMasvidalā€™s ranked No. 5 right now, Edwards is No. 10. So we are working on something for Masvidal and Edwards, but not each other,ā€ White said. ā€œWeā€™re actually talking about Ben Askren vs. Masvidal right now.ā€

Ā 

Askren is already stirring the pot on Twitter. He's claiming that Masvidal is getting cold feet about fighting him.

Edited by jimufctna24

11 minutes ago, jimufctna24 said:

Askren is already stirring the pot on Twitter. He's claiming that Masvidal is getting cold feet about fighting him.

That Dana quote is absolutely amazing. Claiming that Edwards vs Masvidal doesn't make sense because they'reĀ 5Ā rankings apart. Wonder if he had those concerns when he booked Lobov vs Swanson, or Valentina vs Cachoeira?

If he doesn't want to book Masvidal vs Edwards, that's one thing. To present rankings as a stumbling block however is completely laughable.