The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, David said:

It seems the idea of Yair vs Emmett for an interim title is being discussed. Insanity.

Volkanovski only fought a few weeks ago, and while he's scheduled for hand surgery, we're talking about a guy who has defended his title twice this year already. Why do we need an interim title?

Hardly surprising at this point, though, no? This is what they do now, and it's been like that for some time.

• Paid Members

Volk spoke with Helwani yesterday and he actually seemed up for an interim on the basis that it'll make a more anticipated fight when he does return. There's an Australian show happening in the first quarter of 2023 so he may just sit out until that comes around. 

He also alluded to the fact that his return fight may be at 155 which also gives a bit more creedence to an interim belt at 145. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, if there's a chance that they go for a Volk/Olives Superfight it might be best to have an Interim Champion in place. As always when we discuss it though, the Interim Title situation doesn't bother me half as much as it does some on here. It's a locked on number 1 contender trinket really, it gets the winner paid more and any fight with a belt attached does feel bigger, even if is just the Interim.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

Yeah, if there's a chance that they go for a Volk/Olives Superfight it might be best to have an Interim Champion in place. As always when we discuss it though, the Interim Title situation doesn't bother me half as much as it does some on here. It's a locked on number 1 contender trinket really, it gets the winner paid more and any fight with a belt attached does feel bigger, even if is just the Interim.

This is where the UFC should copy a pro-wrestling company. DragonGate have on their Open The Dream Gate title a number of keys hanging on hooks, which open the little gates on the main plate where the name plate is placed. Guys who win the number one contender matches get a key.

GIMMICKS~

4 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

It's a locked on number 1 contender trinket really, it gets the winner paid more and any fight with a belt attached does feel bigger, even if is just the Interim.

Then make it an official number one contender fight. There's no need for another belt, that just cheapens the actual world title. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, but it still gets the person who holds PPV points and extra exposure, Champions money etc. There's not many down sides to it.

Im surprised they haven't put an Interim Title in place at Heavyweight though considering Ngannou's layoff and the contract bullshit.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Im surprised they haven't put an Interim Title in place at Heavyweight though considering Ngannou's layoff and the contract bullshit.

I’ve got a feeling they might if they can get that Miocic vs Jones fight on soon. Winner of that against Ngannou seems like the most obvious move for them to make but fuck knows when Jones’ Heavyweight debut is actually gonna happen.

1 minute ago, Egg Shen said:

it's a pretty big one.

You also have to think of ESPN+ and the whole PPV thing, the belt is a marketing tool.

Yeah, but that's where the dilution of the actual belt comes into play. If the belt is a big marketing tool why not just create more weight classes? And have more interim titles? 

In fact, make every fight a title fight of some sort. 

You know what I mean? If there's multiple fuckers in every division holding belts it starts to remove the draw of the actual champion and the title fights themselves. Too much of a good thing and all that.

2 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

has it ever become a problem though? I think an Interim title may have only been defended on  a couple of occasions. They tend to crown one and unify it in pretty quick succession.

It could though, couldn't it? If they do it at Heavyweight as well, for example. I just don't like it. I think titles in combat sports should be treated as actual achievements. It's not pro wrestling where it's just a prop to pull in paying punters.