The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members

Again, I don’t think I want it 🤣 they’re obsessed with doing these fights now before they even feel big. I love a cross-divisional fight from time to time but seeing talk about fights like this and Edwards vs Makhachev and stuff, it all feels a bit desperate. They’ve gone from not seeming keen on giving us these kind of fights to spamming the bollocks out of them. 

Rushing and forcing these ‘Superfights’ before anyone’s even really had time to think about them, much less clamour for them, is a big reason why they don’t have any fights on the horizon now that feel genuinely huge. It’s almost becoming the equivalent of when WCW would give away first time matches like Hogan vs Sting and Hogan vs Goldberg on Nitro instead of building them for a massive PPV. I get you can’t ‘build’ fights the same way because you can’t predetermine and guarantee the outcomes you want. But am I alone in feeling cold on these types of fights now?

All that said, I can see it happening because they don’t have much else in the way of big fights that they can throw at 300 really. And the clock is ticking. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

For those who aren’t on Twitter the guy lists…

5) Tyron Woodley 

4) Renan Barao

3) Johny Hendricks 

2) Tony Ferguson 

1) BJ Penn 

A pretty fair Top 5 when it comes to sad downfalls. Although I’d have definitely put Shogun in there instead of Hendricks. Penn, Ferguson and Barao would certainly make my list. Just horrific declines. I’d also throw in Rashad Evans, Chuck Liddell, Big Nog, Edgar, Gomi. There’s a bunch. Then there’s more obscure ones for me like Tyson Griffin and Karo Parisyan who seemed like they had incredible careers ahead of them but burned brightly for very short periods of time. There’s so many. I’d have said Cro Cop as well given how his first UFC run went but he turned things around and ended his career on a real positive. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

I think I might put Chuck Liddell close to the top, the actual downfall of the UFC run was bad, but Chuck was in at a high level, and it felt like it was more a durability issue rather than his actual skills. Throw in the comeback against Tito Ortiz though and it bumps it right up there, one of the saddest moments ever in the sport.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...