Perfect Albums

Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
On 2/1/2019 at 1:49 PM, ColinBollocks said:

618GugfcawL._SX300_QL70_.jpg

Kimono My House by Sparks

The correct answer to this question. All the songs are catchy and, for the most part, you'll be smiling like a tit throughout. It's been cited as an influence by Bjork to Steve Jones. 36 minutes of relentless joy.

I’m a big fan of Kimono but I’d place their follow-up, Propaganda, higher. There’s no big hit like This Town on it, but Propaganda/At Home, At Work, At Play is as good an opener to an album you’ll find, and Achoo is among their strangest but I’d stake a claim for it as my favourite Sparks song. 

• Paid Members

71gvsQQXLaL._SX355_.jpg

Something To Write Home About - The Get Up Kids

Wall to wall pop-punk perfection. Every song hits it out of the park, there's just no letting up. There's stronger GUK songs elsewhere and stronger albums by other pop-punk bands, but none match just how good this from the second you hit play to the very last second of album closer 'I'll Catch You'.

51zL8tySqmL.jpg

Wall to wall emo perfection. Every song hits it out of the park, there's just no letting up. There may be stronger TBS songs elsewhere and stronger albums by other emo bands, but none match just how good this from the second you hit play to the very last second of album closer 'Head Club'. Hell, even the bonus track 'The Ballad Of Sal Villanueva' is an absolute banger.

Edited by Accident Prone

@Accident Prone completely agree on Something To Write Home About. Was the first ‘mature’ pop-punk/emo album I loved and I listen to it still I reckon, monthly. Pure joy from start to finish.

I would add in Texas Is The Reason-Do You Know Who You Are and American Football-LP1 as further perfect emo albums as well. 

Didnt want to include it in my initial post as it’s my favourite album of all time and I bang on about it so much, but fuck me if Nas-Illmatic isn’t a perfect album then I don’t know what is. Don’t be slating the intro either...

• Paid Members

nice cut and paste style reviews from Prone there.

Really like The Get Up Kids though. i bought Something to Write Home About off the strength of a 5K review in Kerrang. I used to live by those types of reviews back in the day, i discovered some absolute classics through them, two others that immediatly spring to mind are Refused 'The Shape of Punk to Come' and Snapcase 'Designs for Automation', i bought those 3 records off the strengh of reviews without actually hearing each band. Great memories.

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Really like The Get Up Kids though. i bought Something to Write Home About off the strength of a 5K review in Kerrang. I used to live by those types of reviews back in the day, i discovered some absolute classics through them, two others that immediatly spring to mind are Refused 'The Shape of Punk to Come' and Snapcase 'Designs for Automation', i bought those 3 records off the strengh of reviews without actually hearing each band. Great memories.

I'll be copyrighting that review style. You'll have to subscribe to my Patreon in order to use the template.

I'm with you on the 5K reviews! Their words were gospel to me. I bought Killswitch Engage's 'Alive Or Just Breathing' through the sheer strength of their glowing review alone, without even hearing a snippet of the music first. It's one of my favourite albums. My local HMV would have a whole endcap sectioned off just for albums that Kerrang had highly rated and I'd just buy them without a second thought. They were usually bang on the money too.

• Moderators

Edan - beauty and the beat. 

About 35min of psychedelic hip hop perfection. Amazing songs in their own right that all flow effortlessly into each other to form seamless overall experience. It really takes you on a journey. He hasn't released another solo album since and that's probably for the best because I can't see how this could be topped.

Edit - although you won't get the seamless experience there because of the amount of adverts. Try this playlist instead maybe? Not sure.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

I'll be copyrighting that review style. You'll have to subscribe to my Patreon in order to use the template.

I'm with you on the 5K reviews! Their words were gospel to me. I bought Killswitch Engage's 'Alive Or Just Breathing' through the sheer strength of their glowing review alone, without even hearing a snippet of the music first. It's one of my favourite albums. My local HMV would have a whole endcap sectioned off just for albums that Kerrang had highly rated and I'd just buy them without a second thought. They were usually bang on the money too.

ahh yeah, Alive or Just Breathing is another one. That album changed the course of heavy music as far as im concerned. I never really got back into them after Jesse rejoined but Killswitch dont get the credit they deserve.

6 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

I bought ANThology by Alien Ant Farm off the back of a 5K review and a sampler track on a Rocksound cd. I still stand by it to this day. If it wasn’t for Smooth Criminal I’d nominate it for this thread. 

• Paid Members

yeh, Alien Ant Farm had legit buzz when they came out. Smooth Criminal killed them though, it gave them the career they have but it ruined they havng any real credibility longevity wise. The song doesn't really fit on the album either, its definitely not a novelty/joke album.