Perfect Albums

Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Teedy Kay said:

220px-LetitbleedRS.jpg

Let It Bleed has one of the greatest opening tracks of all time, one of the greatest closing tracks of all time, no filler in the middle instead pure wonderment like the song Let It Bleed and Midnight Rambler. It is simply perfect from start to finish. 

Got That Silver is a waste of time I'm afraid. not that keen on Country Honk either, rehash that it is.

To me, this record is perfect. I’ve never heard a piece of music encapsulate a feeling and time so well. When put on at the right time, in the right environment, it’s hard to not listen to it all the way through. 

Following on from what someone said about The Colour and The Shape by Foo Fighters. If it wasn’t for the boring opener, February Stars being in the wrong place and not including the title track, it would be up there for me too. 

Oh, yeah. And this...

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

I think the color and the shape is a great album, almost fit for this thread. Everything they've released in the last 20 years has been uninspired rubbish though and I'd happily never hear them again.

I was right on board with this until about 5 years ago when I gave TCATS another listen after a 10 year break. I was surprised at how skippable I found a number of the songs.

618GugfcawL._SX300_QL70_.jpg

Kimono My House by Sparks

The correct answer to this question. All the songs are catchy and, for the most part, you'll be smiling like a tit throughout. It's been cited as an influence by Bjork to Steve Jones. 36 minutes of relentless joy.

• Paid Members

Some great shouts so far, especially Sparks!

As an offshoot to the Wu-Tang discussion, I'd nominate Liquid Swords by GZA - one of the greatest hip-hop albums of all time, the best Wu solo work, and crucially for me in a discussion on perfect albums feels like it needs to be listened to as an album. It loses something if listened to on shuffle, or if you just listen to any of the tracks out of context. It's perfectly curated.

I'd also throw in Rain Dogs by Tom Waits on similar grounds - while it has some of Waits' best songs on it, it has many that, on their own, might not stand up all that much, but listened to as part of the whole really create a superb atmosphere.

Tilt by Scott Walker is much the same, and I'll also throw in the slightly more obscure (and maybe just my personal tastes showing through too much) Neptune by Eliza Carthy, Degradation Trip by Jerry Cantrell, and Vision Creation Newsun by Boredoms.

Just now, BomberPat said:

As an offshoot to the Wu-Tang discussion, I'd nominate Liquid Swords by GZA - one of the greatest hip-hop albums of all time, the best Wu solo work, and crucially for me in a discussion on perfect albums feels like it needs to be listened to as an album. It loses something if listened to on shuffle, or if you just listen to any of the tracks out of context. It's perfectly curated.

Only Built 4 Cuban Linx... would probably like a word here, I'm more of a Liquid Swords fan myself as I prefer the atmosphere but I know many would say Cuban Linx is just as good if not better.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I'd also throw in Rain Dogs by Tom Waits on similar grounds - while it has some of Waits' best songs on it, it has many that, on their own, might not stand up all that much, but listened to as part of the whole really create a superb atmosphere.

Tilt by Scott Walker is much the same

Holla. These two also came to mind. Definitely not for everybody, but song-to-song used to create a world and atmosphere within an album they're flawless examples. I remember the first time I gave Tilt a listen and it genuinely gave me anxiety issues for the rest of the day.

• Paid Members

The first time I listened to Tilt, it honestly felt like it just made sense. Like it was what I had always wanted music to be - I couldn't understand how people found it challenging or complex at all, it was just perfect. With The Drift, I felt like I was listening to a direction music was travelling in and it was exciting, any difficulty I had with it felt invigorating. Then Bisch Bosch came along, I found it completely impossible to get my head around and thought, "fuck, this is what people were talking about!"