Words/Phrases that can do one, get me fam?

Brewster McCloud

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was younger I used to love Americanisms, but now I find a lot of them rather infantile: meds. Does medicine or medication really take that much effort to utter? See also: rehab. Rehabbywabs for me addictiony-wiction. 

I'm not keen on their disdain of adverbs - "Boy howdy! That sure was a real good hotdog!" etc. It's crept into British English, unfortunately, as I've heard/read more than one British person used the vile phrase "eating right" instead of eating well or eating healthily. Bring back the bloody birch.

Another one is haters. Surely detractors would be less childish? 

Journalese can bugger off too - has any sane person ever described something as "droolworthy" in real life?

"Uni" I can only assume after University the students join the real world of "Wo" (work)?

Also jobs that command a description before the employees actual name: "Councillor" Bertie Big Bollocks or "Doctor" Johnny Concrete. It pisses off "Road Sweeper" Lord-Mountevans (i am not really a "Lord" before anyone points that out).

• Paid Members
23 hours ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

Brexit - that a high number of civil service departs aren’t allowed to use the term, they must state EU exit 

I have literally never come across this. 

Archived