Words/Phrases that can do one, get me fam?

Brewster McCloud

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
15 minutes ago, bobby dazzler said:

"Living my best life". Fuck off, keep fucking off until you think you have fucked off enough, then fuck off a bit further. 

"Fucking your best off"

• Paid Members
On 12/20/2018 at 11:36 AM, Keith Houchen said:

Language evolves, motherfuckers.  Although saying that, I'll never be on board with "Do/did/doing" being used when describing a destination or an action, as in "I did Barcelona last year"  or "I'm doing Bloodstock as I did Download last year".

guilty as charged 😁

At the risk of sounding like a Jordan Peterson fan, I dislike the appropriation of the word "Queer".

White cis heterosexual is the default setting for pretty much anything.  It's the mainstream and it's boring.  A lot of people don't want to be boring or be seen as boring, but they can't do anything about their race (Unless you're Rachel Dolezal and that's a whole new topic about self ID) so it's their sexuality they have to change.  

Queer seems to have become the catch all for anything, almost as if the person using it has their own definition.  There is a difference in finding someone attractive and thinking someone is attractive.  I think Tom Hardy and Idris Elba are fine looking fellows but it doesn't make me bisexual for instance.  But some people will say this makes them queer, as in not the standard norm for heterosexuality.

I guess that's what does it for me, people shifting goalposts so they aren't the dreaded white cis heterosexual because these are the people who cause most of the ills in society and they don't want to be lumped in with them. So they think that by saying Beyonce or Idris (it's always extra points if its a person of colour) are beautiful, or if they have a kink that might separate them from boring white people sex, such as bondage, then they are queer.  It also erases bisexuality which is a huge issue in itself.

So what if you're white, cis and heterosexual, that doesn't make you boring, what you do, say and act makes you boring.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

At the risk of sounding like a Jordan Peterson fan, I dislike the appropriation of the word "Queer".

White cis heterosexual is the default setting for pretty much anything.  It's the mainstream and it's boring.  A lot of people don't want to be boring or be seen as boring, but they can't do anything about their race (Unless you're Rachel Dolezal and that's a whole new topic about self ID) so it's their sexuality they have to change.  

Queer seems to have become the catch all for anything, almost as if the person using it has their own definition.  There is a difference in finding someone attractive and thinking someone is attractive.  I think Tom Hardy and Idris Elba are fine looking fellows but it doesn't make me bisexual for instance.  But some people will say this makes them queer, as in not the standard norm for heterosexuality.

I guess that's what does it for me, people shifting goalposts so they aren't the dreaded white cis heterosexual because these are the people who cause most of the ills in society and they don't want to be lumped in with them. So they think that by saying Beyonce or Idris (it's always extra points if its a person of colour) are beautiful, or if they have a kink that might separate them from boring white people sex, such as bondage, then they are queer.  It also erases bisexuality which is a huge issue in itself.

So what if you're white, cis and heterosexual, that doesn't make you boring, what you do, say and act makes you boring.

It's an odd issue. "Queer" has been used to mean more than just the classification of sexuality; it's come to mean, in academic terms, an approach which looks to flip everything on its head, so to speak. "Queer Studies" are about not just looking at gender and sexuality, but also the composition and interpretation of varied cultural texts, like literature, art, music, etc., as well as social models, tropes, archetypes and whatnot. The most common filter tends to be that of sexuality, because of its origins, but as I understand it, it's being gradually less frequently used for reference, and more and more examples of the Other and the margins are also being explored.

I'm reminded of the Dada movement, which basically positioned itself as "anti-art" - everything that art was, Dada wasn't. Queer Studies could be said to be a more encompassing, modern methodology that has evolved from that.

8 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Queer Studies could be said to be a more encompassing, modern methodology that has evolved from that.

Yeah I get that, and I get that language evolves.  My issue is the way some people are so quick to label themselves as queer just so they aren't white cishets really cheapens the whole thing

• Paid Members

6 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

or if they have a kink that might separate them from boring white people sex, such as bondage, then they are queer

While I'm not in the heart of it I've never met anyone in the bdsm scene who would describe themselves as queer just based on participation in the scene. 

25 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

While I'm not in the heart of it I've never met anyone in the bdsm scene who would describe themselves as queer just based on participation in the scene. 

Exactly. It’s the ones who look for anything to escape being cookie cutter white cis het. 

"Don't be annoyed because I'm doing me better than you're doing you", "just being awesome", "doing it my way" or any other variation that paints your ordinary life out to be this brazen act of artistic defiance. 

Archived