Words/Phrases that can do one, get me fam?

Brewster McCloud

Yes, there is a pet peeves/minor annoyances thread, but I'm more interested in the specific words that grind your gears. For me it's "gutted". Nobody is merely disappointed or mildly saddened anymore. Whenever a minor celebrity dies, you have to be "gutted". I think to myself, so you really felt like your guts had been ripped out of you? Said guts were metaphorically presented before your ruined body before it starts to really hit home, the feeling of tradgedy you felt? I have my suspicions! 

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh I love a good old man moan about things today on the UKFF!, An older one for me, actually heard it for at least 15 years but "Sick" as a positive adjective. Infuriates me, hadn't heard it for years and then I worked with a guy using it who was also a complete cretin. Is being sick a good way to respond to your liking of something really? I should mention this guy actually holds a PHD. 

Anything that the young black people say, they scare me and I'm not racist.

Language evolves, motherfuckers.  Although saying that, I'll never be on board with "Do/did/doing" being used when describing a destination or an action, as in "I did Barcelona last year"  or "I'm doing Bloodstock as I did Download last year".

Execuspeak is the dirt worst as well.  I'm convinced that managers use it to put up a barrier to stop us plebs from joining their ranks because they speak a different language to us to make us feel intellectually inferior.  I'll stop doing something, I won't park it or take it offline.

These are the kind of people who berate people who start ever sentence with "Erm basically" while they start ever sentence or answer to a question with "So".  Blatantly tories as well.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Brewster McCloud said:

grind your gears

This for me. I find it inexplicably frustrating. 

As I've said before jour fixe being used for any and every meeting is both annoying and stupid. I'm also with Keith on taking things off line. And presentations being called a "town hall" can fuck off as well. 

• Paid Members

Brexit - The meaning of it, the trouble it’s caused, the fact that it’s been a load of bollocks and that a high number of civil service departs aren’t allowed to use the term, they must state EU exit because of the fact that Brexit harbours negative thoughts. The word repels me.

Also, got to agree with Onyx in regard to literally. I have to say though, I’ve never heard of Execusoeak before Keith. Maybe explains how many rungs down the career ladder I am.

6 minutes ago, Brewster McCloud said:

When people start sentences with "So..." or "Basically..." it doesn't bother me that much as i see it as natural hedge that many people need in order to make a point. Y'know? It's all about what they say afterwards that counts. 

Indeed, but there is a snobbery involved that I alluded to earlier.  "Basically" is what the great unwashed say, but "So" seems to be the "On trend" version, so much to the point where some people have started using it to fit in to boardroom patter.  They don't start with a "So" when speaking out of work or to someone who isn't above their pay grade.  It has really taken hold after being a staple on news / current affairs interviews, The Apprentice isn't representative of society, but it's a good representation of the people I'm talking about.  They'd bicker and speak like anyone else but as soon as it was boardroom time, they'd be "So"ing like a farmer.

"Pacifically"

Libtard and snowflake. They get thrown around now almost as a "whatever" response in online discussions, generally when the person using them is losing the argument and is a complete dribbler.

A lot of the business phrases piss me off aswell. "It is what it is" does my head in. Just have the balls to say "No Karen, we can't find the extra budget to keep the heating on in the office ALL winter".

• Moderators

I don't mind a light bit of business speak. Jargon has a purpose - it's an easy shorthand when everyone in the conversation has a common understanding of some shared but niche idea. It generally becomes very apparent very quickly if someone is using catchphrases to avoid having to have an intelligent opinion on something that they've actually arrived at themselves.

Snowflake is a great shout as an indicator that a person is a fucking idiot and not worth speaking to.

11 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

I went to a job interview recently where one of the people interviewing me opened with "Well, here's my opening gambit", which told me I didn't want to work in this place within five seconds of being there. 

I hope because you're such a genius that you realise that a "gambit' is by its very definition opening. I'd have bottled the fucker. 

Archived