Trivial Things That Annoy You...

Michael_3165

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

"Country mile" is a 19th century idiom. It refers to how distance can be deceptively longer on a winding country road when compared to straight roads in cities, so it takes longer to travel a country mile than a city mile. 

Today I Learned... thank you. It is still overused a lot to the point it became irritating. 

3 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

Irritating things that football pundits and commentators say requires its own thread. Every time I have to hear that gormless twat Phil Neville say some combination of "sensational", "absolutely", "unbelievable" and "incredible", I'm yearning for the muffled embrace of permanent deafness. 

The way Gary Neville says comfortable. He pronounces it like there’s an A in between M and F. 

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Sphinx said:

Yeah, you might be right there. I hadn't really thought about it, I just assumed it's something I've been saying since I was about 10. Fap seems like onomatopoeia to me which is probably why it's kept with me. Wanking and tossing off are funnier to say though when I think about it.

Yeah, it's basically an onomatopoeia for wanking which appeared a lot in online web comics in the early 2000s. There was one particular site, Sexy Losers, which was basically a load of humorous, but disgusting stories about when sex goes wrong, weird, or just plain horrible. One of the regular characters was a chronic masturbator whose put-upon housemate had to put up with him sat on the sofa wanking most hours of the day, even when they had guests around. Lots of "fap fap" - until they introduced his sister, who just did the female version of the same thing, accompanied by "shlik shlik".

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

Irritating things that football pundits and commentators say requires its own thread. Every time I have to hear that gormless twat Phil Neville say some combination of "sensational", "absolutely", "unbelievable" and "incredible", I'm yearning for the muffled embrace of permanent deafness. 

Absolutely agree with absolutely. We've got a whole generation of people who don't have any other superlatives so just put absolutely before everything.

On football, anyone who adds the word "football" before everything really annoys me. "On the football pitch" instead of "on the pitch". "This football team" instead of "this team". "Won the football match" instead of "won the match". You get in it written as well as spoken media. Who is that for? 90% of the time it's on football coverage or sports radio shows. We know it's fucking football, dickhead, that's a given. It's like WWE writers have scripted the coverage.

People's arrogant lack of intellectual curiosity, assuming that something they don't already understand must have been plucked out of someone's arse just to annoy them, instead of spending a few seconds on Google to educate themselves. 🙂

4gqtz.jpg

• Paid Members

Americans that say they "could care less"

Now there's one thing about the different spelling of some words in USA English, different pronunciations, different words & terms like Autumn/Fall etc. but the above is pure grammar abuse.

• Paid Members

I don't think it's exactly trivial, but the term 'virtue signal' is really fucking me off lately. When did it become acceptable to lambaste people who want to help others? So fucking frustrating seeing people highlight something wrong, only for a bunch of alt-righters to fling about their bullshit.

I saw it recently when someone made a post about a council sticking slopes on kerbs, arches and doorways to keep away the homeless at night. The post pointed out that the money spent on these measures could have gone towards actually helping the homeless, only for some utter cunt to reply " Is this where we virtue signal?". Fucking cunts (not the homeless, obviously).

Yeah, as @Chest Rockwell pointed out on here, the only good thing about the term virtue signalling is it's an accurate signal for spotting anyone who uses it pejoratively as a wanker.  Same for do-gooder.

In a similar vein, why is it always a brigade? Such as  PC brigade, feminist brigade etc.  It's like suffixing it automatically has negative connotations, just call leave voters the Brexit brigade and they take the hump with it.

• Paid Members

I've said it before on here: the term "virtue-signalling" is a wanker's term, created for wankers to be used by wankers. Basically, these people can't wrap their heads around the idea that others might have a strong enough sense of justice or morality that they wish to express their values either via action or words, and therefore think they could only possibly be doing it to show off to others, particularly women.