An 'All In' Thread

MPDTT

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

There's a whole lot of nonsense going around about "revolutionised" the industry and alternative career paths to a comfortable living from pro wrestling without going to WWE. Fair play for achieving something extraordinary, but let's keep some perspective. Selling 10,000 tickets as a one off because it's promoted as something special is one thing, trying to sell anything like that on a semi-regular basis once it ISN'T a unique event is completely different. I understand excitement but it's transforming into a level of hyperbolic optimism that threatens to overshadow Cody and the Bucks' actual achievement. Which took the best part of a year of planning and promotion.

2 hours ago, air_raid said:

There's a whole lot of nonsense going around about "revolutionised" the industry and alternative career paths to a comfortable living from pro wrestling without going to WWE. Fair play for achieving something extraordinary, but let's keep some perspective. Selling 10,000 tickets as a one off because it's promoted as something special is one thing, trying to sell anything like that on a semi-regular basis once it ISN'T a unique event is completely different. I understand excitement but it's transforming into a level of hyperbolic optimism that threatens to overshadow Cody and the Bucks' actual achievement. Which took the best part of a year of planning and promotion.

You are absolutely right. Feet should well and truly be kept on the ground. But there is a ground swell for an alternative to WWE's product to breakthrough and be a true alternative within the mainstream, not an indie - purely based on the fact that only children seem to be truly passionate about WWE's direction. Only time will tell if that desire can transcend the 'smart' wrestling fans and enter the mainstream, but we are a long, long way away from anything like that at present - it would take an awful lot of investment by the likes of ROH, Impact and NJPW to achieve something on that level - not something the Bucks and Cody can achieve on their own, no matter how much people like me want it to be the case.

• Paid Members

If the ground swell of people looking for an alternative could commit to looking for an alternative and stop bringing "SWEEEEET" to WWE tv productions, that would be awesome. Can you have a word?

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

And take back all the wankers who make up NXT crowds too.

I'm only here for Toni Storm's arse, obvs.

• Paid Members

Interested to see what comes of the event. If it does extremely well and generates a serious buzz, that's no bad thing for the industry. 

On a side note, Cody and the Young Bucks' comments on Jericho's podcast recently got me thinking. They haven't knocked the notion of going to WWE eventually, but the autonomy they have over their careers at present means that a full-time signing isn't likely anytime soon. However, Omega and the Bucks HAVE linked up with the New Day in a non-WWE venture which was even picked up on by WWE's own YouTube channel in a news item. Granted, it was for a video game channel, but it was still an interesting occurrence.

I wonder if WWE would consider bringing in guys like Cody/Omega/Young Bucks on a one-off basis for a big event? Thinking along the same lines as Liger's guest appearance on NXT or something of that ilk. Not suggesting for a second that the majority of WWE's fanbase knows who they are, but it seems like the type of thing Triple H isn't oblivious to and might be tempted to try and do something with. In this modern era where part-time appearances are a regularity and WWE's links with the wider industry being greater than they have been for sometime (largely due to HHH/NXT), with the right build up/introductions to the wider WWE fanbase it might be something to look into. 

In line with the above, if All In becomes a genuine success it might open the door for more independent talents to stay clear of WWE, where they can still earn plenty of income and also hold autonomy over their dates, creative, etc. If that's the case it might mean that in the long term, WWE might not sign as many of the big independent stars to full-time contracts, but instead brings them in for occasional bookings for big matches. That's probably looking way, way into the future and again it would take a lot of promotional work to introduce them to a much wider audience, but that's by no means impossible. All In might just prove to be a major catalyst for the business shifting in that direction, who knows.

• Paid Members

As an avid follower of the indy scene, there's not much for me to really sink my teeth into. The card looks a bit drab to be completely honest but it'll be a fun show based on the spectacle and novelty. Page/Janela and the 6-man are what I believe will be the show stealers, but (mostly) everything looks like it at least has potential.

This whole idea of the indies coming together to show Vinnie Mac who is boss though would probably hold better if the three main proprietors weren't regularly on New Japan and, to a lesser extent, ROH TV and didn't have Joe Koff and the very recognizable 'Bullet Club' brand behind them.

Even if one of the bigger North American indies ran this card I doubt they would sell out 10,000 seats and have an entire convention around it to boot. Could a group of wrestlers who aren't associated with Bullet Club or have the social media reach and connections of Cody and the Bucks run a similar show? Very doubtful. 

For me, it's a perfect storm of events and personalities coming together to strike whilst the iron is hot. They have the backing of money, TV and world wide recognition and exposure. So whilst it's cool to see a non-WWE show sell out a big venue, it isn't as impressive or impactful considering the means to the end.

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, air_raid said:

@Fatty Facesitter New Japan would not let any contracted talent be used by WWE. Liger's deal is unique in that he controls his own bookings, not the office.

Interesting. As and when those contracts with New Japan ran out, would it be a viable option for them then? Is there any likelihood they would continue to offer their services to New Japan on the proviso that they control their own bookings ala Liger which might open up a potential WWE window?

Archived