An 'All In' Thread

MPDTT

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AdamTH17 said:

I think people expecting this to be a similar standard to Wrestle Kingdom and the likes are going to be really let down. This isn't a show being built around hugely high quality matches, it's going to be a massive celebration to honor their success. The live crowd aren't going to be there expecting ***** classics across the board, they just want to be "part of it" in terms of being able to contribute to a massively historical event. 

Aldis/Cody will suck, but hopefully they'll keep it short and it'll be a nice moment if Cody wins, Okada/Scurll hinges entirely on if Marty decides to phone it in and stick to his easy comedy shtick, Janela/Page will be a fun plunder brawl, Daniels and Amell should go smoothly considering Daniels will lead it all, Kenny and Pentagon is smart booking because it'll allow Kenny to have a night off if he's still working hurt, and it's a match that still carries big intrigue and hype due to the characters if nothing else and the six-man will be carnage. 

Adam, I respectfully disagree. I think this will be based around the quality of the matches. Cody / Aldis absolutely will not suck - both men know it may very well be career defining. Okada / Scurll and Pentagon / Omega could both be amazing (and my money says they will). I'm fully bought into the hype and what this show could be the start of......

• Paid Members

I never considered for a second that any of the Bullet Club guys would phone it in considering this is their big moment.

I'm also fascinated to hear Marty described as having had a few stagnant years. I only started watching him this year and never got that impression at all. Was he previously much better than he has been this year? I still think that match he had earlier in the year with Will Ospreay is one of my Match of the Year candidates.

3 minutes ago, MPDTT said:

Adam, I respectfully disagree. I think this will be based around the quality of the matches. Cody / Aldis absolutely will not suck - both men know it may very well be career defining. Okada / Scurll and Pentagon / Omega could both be amazing (and my money says they will). I'm fully bought into the hype and what this show could be the start of......

Totally agree the matches will be work rate based I'm interested in all the matches should be an epic show its not about flashing light or pryro it's about the matches.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, kidzero said:

Totally agree the matches will be work rate based I'm interested in all the matches should be an epic show its not about flashing light or pryro it's about the matches.

They can't afford pyro, they spent the last of the cash booking CM Punk as a surprise.

17 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

@MPDTT Do you work for ROH? Are you part of their street team? Genuine question. 

Nah, my job is in HR - much less interesting!

I'm just a genuine long term fan of ROH/NJPW.

3 hours ago, MPDTT said:

That's fair enough. I'm not arguing the matches don't have the potential to be good, but I don't think they'll be the blow away stuff that people have been expecting. Cody/Aldis won't be a particularly good match, as Aldis isn't a good worker and Cody needs somebody dynamic in there with him to help him over the *** territory (think Okada, Ibushi, Omega) - but with the build it's received the crowd reaction should be enough to get him over the line. Okada/Scurll as I've said, will hinge on Scurll's willingness to actually put in work as opposed to getting reactions with his normal shtick. Omega/Pentagon will in my eyes depend on Omega's condition. If he's still working hurt, then Pentagon is a smart opponent because it's two workers who have a great aura and haven't been over-exposed against one another. If he's 100% then I see no reason as to why he won't go all out, and as a result no reason as to why this match won't be great, however, if he's anything less then he won't be going full steam ahead. New Japan won't want their current top guy risking anything in the lead to Wrestle Kingdom. The fact that the result is already completely without a doubt detracts just a little as well.

@Supremo in terms of Scurll, he's a funny one. In my eyes, he peaked during his reign as PROGRESS Champion which was early 2016. That was, to me, the point where he was unquestionably the most complete UK wrestler on the indy scene. He had a fresh character which was really over, his self-produced interviews and promos were all excellent and had variety to them, and in-ring he was putting on fantastic matches with the likes of Ospreay, Hero, Haskins, O'Reilly, Bate etc. He was living up with his whole "villain" moniker in the ring, and outside of it as well, everything he was doing was fresh and exciting and cool.  As time has progressed though, the whole character seems to have just morphed into a semi-comedy act based around crowd pleasing spots despite still endearing himself as "the villain". He knows that he's now able to just get by simply through a handful of spots, a cool entrance and his affiliation with the Elite lads. Everything that made him stand out just faded, and his character now is nothing more than "wacky bird man woop woop!" - which is clearly working for him as he's still a massive name on the indy scene, but as somebody who debuted the whole character in such a dynamic way, it's disappointing to see it turn into something stale. Don't get me wrong, he's still capable of delivering great matches, such as the Ospreay one you mentioned, but it's been a good while since he's come close to reaching the heights of his initial villain run.

Archived