Who wins and how?   

52 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 892
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This illustrates the frustrations that a lot of longtime MMA fans I've talked to have. McGregor doesn't make new fans of the sport. He attracts a massive swathe of knuckleheads who have no interest in the game itself but think it's awesome that Connor can get away with being a piece of shit, because it's wish fulfilment for them.

Meanwhile a lot of long term fans, don't engage anymore because the UFC just feels kind of toxic now.

Honestly, I'm most upset about the brawl, because without it Connor's just an irrelevant clown, but the fact it happened keeps him around and keeps his little cult of personality going.

It's a myth that long term fans don't engage anymore because of Conor. 

If anything, they engage more because they are constantly debating the negatives of Conor.

Those buyrates can't be argued with. Conor is best for business.

• Paid Members

I’ve got friends who’ve watched as long as I have and we all get more excited when Conor fights. I’ve also got fiends who only started watching because of Conor and now they watch regularly. I don’t buy that idea at all.

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, BrodyGraham said:

This illustrates the frustrations that a lot of longtime MMA fans I've talked to have. McGregor doesn't make new fans of the sport. He attracts a massive swathe of knuckleheads who have no interest in the game itself but think it's awesome that Connor can get away with being a piece of shit, because it's wish fulfilment for them.

Meanwhile a lot of long term fans, don't engage anymore because the UFC just feels kind of toxic now.

Honestly, I'm most upset about the brawl, because without it Connor's just an irrelevant clown, but the fact it happened keeps him around and keeps his little cult of personality going.

My upvote is for the bit about the kind of people McG attracts - wish fulfilment for knuckleheads.

However, I also agree with FUM and Supremo that he does indeed attract new fans as well.

Where would the UFC be now without Conor ever being on board? 

Who wants to see everyone building up a fight by saying “yea I really respect the guy, I hope it’ll be a great match up for the fans”

Shithousery is where the fight game is at, it builds fights, it brings PPV buys, stick to grappling matches if you don’t want to hear shit talking.

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, BrodyGraham said:

I see your point. I know a ton of people who only get interested when Conor is fighting. My missus even got up and looked up the result Sunday morning, she couldnt name one other MMA fighter. The guy just transcends the sport. But ts no different to "rugby" fans only showing interest when the Six Nations is on or when people tune in for the Grand National for example. People are just drawn to massive events that feel important, its always gonna be the same. In boxing/MMA these events are created through individual stars and feuds.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Who wants to see everyone building up a fight by saying “yea I really respect the guy, I hope it’ll be a great match up for the fans”

Shithousery is where the fight game is at, it builds fights, it brings PPV buys, stick to grappling matches if you don’t want to hear shit talking.

Fucking right it is. Yet, there'll always be a section of the fanbase that will try to argue otherwise.

There's always been shit talking and there always will be. It should be used as window dressing though.

I'm commenting on a sub thread on a Pro wrestling forum. I think I get it.

Personally though, as someone who spent the better part of 8 years training stand up and bjj I get a little bit sick in my mouth at the direction the UFC has moved in. 

6 minutes ago, BrodyGraham said:

There's always been shit talking and there always will be. It should be used as window dressing though.

I'm commenting on a sub thread on a Pro wrestling forum. I think I get it.

Personally though, as someone who spent the better part of 8 years training stand up and bjj I get a little bit sick in my mouth at the direction the UFC has moved in. 

‘Training stand up’ is a weird phrase.

Also, 8 years ago - Brock Lesnar headlined 2 PPV’s, Chael Sonnen fought Anderson Silva and Dan Hardy wouldn’t shut the fuck up in the build to his fight with GSP.

And that’s ignoring Josh Koschek who also tried the same act against GSP.

Oh, and Liddel/Ortiz on TUF.

2010 UFC was a trash bonanza.

42 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Where would the UFC be now without Conor ever being on board? 

By the same token, no one should be crying when said shithousery spills over a tad into "real life" and we see what we did after the fight.

We've seen an incredible amount of handwringing on this very forum, from people who should know better as wrestling fans. The UFC will lose viewers who are "disgusted," they'll lose sponsors, Khabib should be canned, and even talk about him losing his fucking Visa, which was insane.

Dana has hinted at what Nevada will do, which, in his words, should be a "4-6 month suspension and a $250,000 fine" or something like that.

Archived