Who wins and how?   

52 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Honestly, I want no fight more than Khabib v Ferguson. It's the ultimate cocktease, after all those cancellations. Depending on how long Khabib gets suspended for, you can maybe fit in Conor v Nate. Winner gets a slap from the Lightweight champion.

If Khabib is out for a year+, then you can see them going for Tony v Conor for some bogus belt, setting up Khabib v Tony.

• Replies 892
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't see them doing Conor vs Aldo again for the very simple reason that Conor will probably view it with the mindset of "well, how can I beat 13 seconds?" - and I think that the majority of the casuals who don't tune in regularly would expect a similar scenario. He doesn't seem to gain much from a rematch with Aldo. If he wins in anything less than 13 seconds, people (morons mind) will be saying he's lost his touch, doesn't have any power etc, whereas with Aldo there's a realistic chance he loses. I think the only fights we see him in are the Khabib rematch, or the Diaz trilogy. Both of which he has something significant to gain, which is a non-factor if he goes down the Aldo route.

6 minutes ago, AdamTH17 said:

I think the only fights we see him in are the Khabib rematch, or the Diaz trilogy. Both of which he has something significant to gain, which is a non-factor if he goes down the Aldo route.

If he fights Khabib again next, he loses. If he fights him again at any point in this lifetime, he very likely loses. The question over his punchers chance before the fight have all but diminished. Khabib can take his shots from what we've seen. They don't trouble him, at all.

10 minutes ago, David said:

If he fights Khabib again next, he loses. If he fights him again at any point in this lifetime, he very likely loses. The question over his punchers chance before the fight have all but diminished. Khabib can take his shots from what we've seen. They don't trouble him, at all.

Of course not, but in any given build up Conor won't let the people think that. He'll say that he came in unprepared like he did with the Diaz fight. Or he'll say he wasn't taking him seriously enough. It doesn't matter, because he's good enough a trash talker to convince people that he has a better chance this time around, even though that most likely won't be the case. He'll say anything he needs to in order to maximize his profits. He knows perfectly how to appeal to the masses and get them hopping up on his bandwagon, as demonstrated perfectly with when he fought Mayweather. Most fans won't care that he's just been dominated for four rounds, they just need to hear him talk about "that left hand shot!" and they're back to being convinced again. This is where he makes his money, it's his bread and butter. There's far more for him to gain from a potentially Khabib fight in the sheer financial scale alone as opposed to somebody he's already finished within seconds.

10 minutes ago, AdamTH17 said:

Of course not, but in any given build up Conor won't let the people think that. He'll say that he came in unprepared like he did with the Diaz fight. Or he'll say he wasn't taking him seriously enough. It doesn't matter, because he's good enough a trash talker to convince people that he has a better chance this time around, even though that most likely won't be the case. He'll say anything he needs to in order to maximize his profits. He knows perfectly how to appeal to the masses and get them hopping up on his bandwagon, as demonstrated perfectly with when he fought Mayweather. Most fans won't care that he's just been dominated for four rounds, they just need to hear him talk about "that left hand shot!" and they're back to being convinced again. This is where he makes his money, it's his bread and butter. There's far more for him to gain from a potentially Khabib fight in the sheer financial scale alone as opposed to somebody he's already finished within seconds.

It depends if the UFC want to chase the money down the route of something else kicking off again with them meeting so soon after the last load of nonsense.

I'm not entirely sure we see that fight right now, there's been nothing from Dana on the idea, and I've not heard Khabib saying he wants it either. 

51 minutes ago, David said:

It depends if the UFC want to chase the money down the route of something else kicking off again with them meeting so soon after the last load of nonsense.

I'm not entirely sure we see that fight right now, there's been nothing from Dana on the idea, and I've not heard Khabib saying he wants it either. 

I'd be absolutely gobsmacked if Dana walks away from the money to be made from that one fight, pre-brawl . Khabib as well for that matter.

It isn't something they have to come back to instantly. The scenes from that brawl will stick with people for a while. Best-case scenario, Khabib beats Ferguson, McGregor beats Diaz and then they meet again at MSG or something next year where Khabib goes 29-0 😎.

I have no idea how the lightweight division is going to pan out going forward. I'm not totally sold that Khabib is unbeatable. He's always going to be a nightmare match-up for Conor and his peak is higher than any other Lightweight in MMA history. However, I don't think he's going to have much staying power. He's injury prone, fights at a lighter weight, and trains at AKA. That's not a recipe for a long career. I don't buy that he is going to retire immediately. But I wouldn't be shocked if he called it a day after 1 or 2 titles defences or suddenly became old overnight and got caught out. 

Ferguson is a tough match-up for Khabib on paper. He's certainly provides the toughest test for a peak version of Khabib. However, Ferguson makes too many mistakes for me to be confident enough to pick him over Khabib. He's been dropped by Pettis, Lee and Vannata. Fuck knows with McGregor. I suspect he will fight either GSP or Diaz next. He can forget beating GSP. Diaz and Ferguson are better match-ups for him and I would pick him to beat those two at 155lbs (with trepidation). Whether he will stay in the game beyond his next couple of fights is anyone's guess. 

Interesting times ahead. 

I don't want to see McGregor Vs Aldo again or McGregor Vs Khabib just yet, maybe that fight in a year or 2, I really want to see Khabib Vs GSP in Toronto, Russia Vs Canada.

I would like to see McGregor Vs Holloway as I think Holloway is such a better fighter now.

12 hours ago, jimufctna24 said:

I have no idea how the lightweight division is going to pan out going forward. I'm not totally sold that Khabib is unbeatable. He's always going to be a nightmare match-up for Conor and his peak is higher than any other Lightweight in MMA history. However, I don't think he's going to have much staying power. He's injury prone, fights at a lighter weight, and trains at AKA. That's not a recipe for a long career. I don't buy that he is going to retire immediately. But I wouldn't be shocked if he called it a day after 1 or 2 titles defences or suddenly became old overnight and got caught out. 

No one is unbeatable, but you can't argue with the dudes record thus far. He's only ever lost one fucking round in his career.

If he fights, and beats, Tony Ferguson, I can't see anyone else in the division who'd come close to beating him.

Also, in other news Khabib has claimed he's been approached by WWE;

"WWE ask me to jump inside. What do you guys think? #SmashLesnar #FakeFights"

1 hour ago, David said:

No one is unbeatable, but you can't argue with the dudes record thus far. He's only ever lost one fucking round in his career.

Of course not. He's one of the best MMA fighters of all time in terms of peak performance. I think he's more imposing than prime versions of Anderson and Aldo. For while those two had lengthy title runs, they were prone to dropping rounds. Only peak versions of GSP, Fedor and Jones are arguably Khabib's equal in that regard. 

I am just not sure his body is going to hold up. 

4 minutes ago, jimufctna24 said:

Of course not. He's one of the best MMA fighters of all time in terms of peak performance. I think he's more imposing than prime versions of Anderson and Aldo. For while those two had lengthy title runs, they were prone to dropping rounds. Only peak versions of GSP, Fedor and Jones are arguably Khabib's equal in that regard. 

I am just not sure his body is going to hold up. 

It might, it might not. He's 30 now, which isn't young for lighter weight fighters. I'd say he's got another three or four fights in him at this current level of performance.

Also, he doesn't strike me as the kind of dude to hang around when he knows he's past his best.

Archived