Who wins and how?   

52 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I'm of the belief that everything played its part in how the fight went. All the above. Khabib's skills and technique, Khabib's size and physical strength at the weight, Conor's layoff. It's funny though, the people I know who were convinced Conor was going to win didn't want to hear about the layoff before the fight. It was all 'yeah but the way he trains man...he'll be sharp...he looks big...the layoff won't effect him...plus he's got pro boxing level boxing now as well...Khabib's fucked.' Of course, Khabib schools him and now the same people are citing the layoff. Ha.

As for the 'Conor didn't look right stuff', it could've been partly down to the layoff. Maybe. But I think if he looked off, the main reason was because Khabib was in the opposite corner. He was never going to be able to strike as freely against Khabib. He knew that if he really committed to anything - a big strike, combo, anything - he'd have to make it count because Khabib was just waiting to ragdoll him to the ground. That'll be why Conor didn't pull the trigger at times. He had to constantly worry about getting taken down because he knew if Khabib got him on the ground that was probably the round. 

I think it's a bit early to say Conor's power hasn't carried up to 155 as well. He's 1-1 in the UFC's lightweight division currently. The Diaz fights were at 170, plus Diaz is ridiculously tough anyway and McGregor still hurt and dropped him a few times. And he dropped and hurt Alvarez repeatedly. And Alvarez is hard as nails. In Alvarez's next fight after McGregor bashed him he ate Justin Gaethje's bombs and came through to stop Gaethje. He's durable as fuck. I think McGregor's got good power at 155. It just didn't trouble Khabib that night. We all agreed that Conor's not a massive, one shot, concussive power hitter anyway. He's definitely got power, it was just a bit overhyped. But I don't think the way this fight with Khabib played out was to do with Conor's power not carrying up to 155. I just think it was a combination of Khabib taking the shots well and Conor not having the freedom of stringing together combinations (which is usually how he gets stoppages) because he was always mindful of the takedown threat. 

Khabib is just a terrible, terrible matchup for McGregor. The worst. Honestly, if I was designing a mutant, cyborg MMA fighter to beat Conor McGregor, it would pretty much be Khabib Nurmagomedov. 

• Replies 892
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Like Matt Serra said before he shocked the world and knocked out GSP...

"You don't gotta be the better striker to outstrike somebody in MMA. He's thinking one thing, I'm doing another, the fight could be over."

How prophetic that turned out to be. 

• Paid Members

I’ve only just realised how interesting a GSP vs. Khabib fight would be. Obviously, the big money fight is Conor vs. GSP, but from a fighting perspective I’d be far more intrigued what would happen if Khabib took on such a great wrestler who’s likely similar in size. 

• Paid Members

He slipped, you fool!

If it's standing up George is jabbing his eye off. Honestly, I doubt GSP will fear the takedown as much as Conor, so I doubt the openings and doubt will be there like they were for Conor. Even if he rocks up at 52 and believing in aliens again, it doesn't get much better than GSP.

1 minute ago, ColinBollocks said:

He slipped, you fool!

If it's standing up George is jabbing his eye off.

Yeah, just like "if it's stand up Conor will get him with precision and the big left hand," eh? I honestly think Khabib smashes GSP. It'll be reminiscent of the 2nd or 3rd fight between GSP/Hughes.

A passing of the torch, so to speak.

5 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

Pfft. Getting shit from the bloke that thought Cejudo was a bum!

Still don't think he's better than DJ. He caught the guy on the right day, simple as that. He'll get sparked again at some point, the lego-haired prick that he is.

6 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

We'll see. It's such a compelling fight, though. It all comes down to how GSP's wrestling holds up. If Khabib is mauling GSP then we're getting in that GOAT discussion with him.

I'm not even sure we'll see that fight. I don't think Khabib is an attractive proposition to GSP at the moment.

• Paid Members

GSP said on Ariel's show last night that Khabib is probably the most interesting fight for him. He really only mentioned khabib in terms of names too. Kept saying Khabib has built a legacy and GSP finds it interesting. Pretty much shot down Woodley as an opponent too. 

But he did go on to say he thinks the UFC will make the rematch though so who knows what he really thinks or wants. He doesn't give much away. 

• Paid Members

Cejudo wins with precision and a big right hand next time.

The thing with GSP is he's said he wants a combination of legacy and big money fights. Obviously, Conor is who everyone is after, but no doubt after this show Khabib has surely attained some status as a draw now, so you imagine it's a big money fight and there is a belt there (should the powers that be play ball).

• Paid Members

Yeah GSP was doubtful about getting the shot at 155 as he pretty much admitted he wouldn't be sticking around there. 

I'd be up for Khabib/GSP at 170 or catchweight at some point though. Very intriguing match up. 

Archived