Who wins and how?   

52 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've held off a week since commenting, I'm almost as drunk now as I was for the event and I've just done my first rewatch. 

First of all, what a brilliant main card. You had really impressive performances from Michelle Waterson and Dominic Reyes. Volkov v Lewis and Pettis v Ferguson were insane. 

Khabib battered Conor as expected. When the dust settles him going into the crowd like that will only make him more of a draw and make the rematch an even bigger fight. Conor looked off, yet he might be the only man to take a round off Khabib! I'd like to see Khabib v Tony and Nate v Conor now. If Conor could get his shit together, I'd love to see them do it again in Russia.

• Replies 892
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kavanaugh’s explanation is either bollocks or negligent.

Why prepare someone with a proven poor gas tank, whose skill is in sniping, to ‘not lose’?

Thats either terrible game planning from an Edmund level coach, or it’s bollocks trying, at best, to start building a rematch or, at worst, to explain a terrible loss.

Conor was outmatched and his offence was completely nullified by a superior fighter. End of.

It's funny you should mention Edmund, as I was thinking about the similarities between them during the week, and how differently they're regarded.

Edmund's claim to fame is training Rousey, and aside from that he's done absolutely nothing to suggest he's anywhere near being a top-class coach. I view Kavanagh as being kind of similar. Aside from Conor, who else has Kavanagh trained that's been successful? He's not exactly Javier Mendes or Greg Jackson, is he? 

And yet, because of how he carries himself, we've got people who will actually listen to this shit he's talking and think it's some sort of intelligent insight into why Conor lost.

• Paid Members

It really wouldn't surprise me if he was daft enough to think it would work. On Rogan, he seemed to think Khabib was slowing down against big Al in the 3rd, and he pointed to Conor winning the 3rd as an example of how they thought they had it.

Truth or not, it's a proper daft idea, but maybe points to how outgunned they were against Khabib.

I guess it's that mindset that has gotten them this far, but him saying that Conor won the round isn't that big of a deal. It was hardly looking like a turning point, and it wasn't as though Conor connected with anything that even remotely troubled Khabib, while Khabib dropped Conor in round 2.

McG got dealt with on the feet and on the ground. I initially felt that he would lose the ground battle but could win the fight on the feet as he'd certainly win the standup, what with his boxing background and the mythical "left hand", but he didn't even win that. 

If anything, Khabib slowed down a bit because Al gave him a tougher fight than Conor did.

• Paid Members

It wasn't a big deal after the fact but he said during, the fact Conor managed to get in a competitive round (that he won) had Kavanagh believing maybe they would take over. Of course it didn't happen because Khabib was never gassing.

Also, for all the talk of Al doing well, he lost all his rounds. I think Rogan shouting "OOOOOH!" after Al landed one decent punch seemed to make people believe it was close. Khabib bosses that too. Another reason the plan was foolish.

How much weighting does the Octagon rust come into this for Conor? I think he would have given Khabib more problems if he'd fought more recently.  I thought he was fighting half a pace closer from the outside where he normally does all his damage. He was jabbing with his left and it looked really daft. I guess his stance was due to some takedown defence tactic - but it threw off all his best tools.   

4 hours ago, OzExile said:

How much weighting does the Octagon rust come into this for Conor? I think he would have given Khabib more problems if he'd fought more recently.  I thought he was fighting half a pace closer from the outside where he normally does all his damage. He was jabbing with his left and it looked really daft. I guess his stance was due to some takedown defence tactic - but it threw off all his best tools.   

Shoulda, woulda, coulda. Twitter has been full of excuses and reasons why Conor didn't win.

truth is, he fought one of the best fighters ever in that weight class, simple as that. He lost because he wasn't good enough, and there's no shame in that. He gave it a shot, it didn't work out. You win some, you lose some.

• Paid Members

To exclude the two years away from elite MMA is foolish (I'm pretty sure some on here were using it as a reason they fancy Khabib to smash, pre-fight), but that doesn't mean a sharp Conor would ever be good enough to best Khabib. I think the majority of us on here heavily favoured Khabib going in because his skill set is a bugger for anyone.

1 minute ago, ColinBollocks said:

To exclude the two years away from elite MMA is foolish (I'm pretty sure some on here were using it as a reason they fancy Khabib to smash, pre-fight), but that doesn't mean a sharp Conor would ever be good enough to best Khabib. I think the majority of us on here heavily favoured Khabib going in because his skill set is a bugger for anyone.

The two years away was nothing for a man coming in with "the big left hand" though, wasn't it? At least that was the reasoning on the Twitter-verse.

• Paid Members

They probably all believed McGregor had a chance against Mayweather - that's how valuable their opinion is about that left hand of his.

Not really into excluding maybe a legit "excuse" because the majority of his fans are deluded tits. Again, it's worth tagging on to it that even if this was the McGregor that fought Alvarez, I'm not sure he ever beats Khabib.

Archived