Who wins and how?   

52 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 892
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In all honesty, the best way the UFC can deal with this is to let the Commission do their thing, and then let things quietly die out from their side of things.

Don't sack anyone, don't strip any titles, don't fine anyone, but maybe have a quiet, personal word in McG's ear about how he chooses to boost business in the future. Nothing public or any reprimands, just a word to the wise. Not that I think he'll need it, mind you. He's got to have realised that he went too far this time.

Then, steer Conor in a different direction for the time being. A rematch may be lucrative, but it's honestly got the potential to be more of a ball ache than anything else. Besides, I don't really think Conor needs that guy in his life right now.

Maybe revisit it in six months or a year or whatever.

Oh, and also try not to match up any of Khabib's prayer group with Conor's nut huggers. It's not worth the grief for a prelim bout that no one cares about.

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

Khabib knows that McGregor wants a rematch & there's also GSP out there too. Everyone saw that McGregor's 'punishment' for injuring other fighters & screwing up a PPV from the UFC was a massive payday. Dana made his bed well before this, had they straight fired Conor after the bus incident every fighter on the roster would know not to fuck about.

True, but I don't think that excuses Khabib's team getting away with it. Both were a bad look for the sport. Particularly when you break it down by the fact Conor means they can generate a 2.5M buyrate.

It wasn't like Dana was hollering after it about Conor getting sacked, like he did with the Khabib team.

"Well he got away with it" doesn't excuse shitty behaviour. You need to do something eventually.

2 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

True, but I don't think that excuses Khabib's team getting away with it. Both were bad look for the sport. Particularly when you break it down by the fact Conor means they can generate a 2.5M buyrate.

Well, it depends how much the UFC want Khabib on their roster. Fire his team mates and I have no doubt he'll walk. He seems like the kind of guy who lives up to what he says he'll do.

And make no mistake, he'll walk away and turn up in a Russian promotion run by some shady gangster most likely, and won't be short of a paycheque there either.

Just now, ColinBollocks said:

Well, we'll get our answer soon enough. Dana wasn't fucking about a few days ago.

Yeah, but times change. He's since been posting on Khabib's instagram comments, and has claimed that there's no chance of him being stripped of the title.

He knows that all of this shit, while a bit of a shitshow at the time, has boosted Khabib's notoriety (pardon the pun) and his reputation, and thus his ability to make money for the UFC.

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, David said:

Yeah, but times change. He's since been posting on Khabib's instagram comments, and has claimed that there's no chance of him being stripped of the title.

He knows that all of this shit, while a bit of a shitshow at the time, has boosted Khabib's notoriety (pardon the pun) and his reputation, and thus his ability to make money for the UFC.

Of course, they do. Dana is a terrible when it comes to his word, but you know he'll get questions about why he decided not to sack off Khabib's mate and it will be interesting to see how he skips around that one, if he decides to play along with Khabib here.

Again, what about poor Paul Daley?

Just now, ColinBollocks said:

Of course, they do. Dana is a terrible when it comes to his word, but you know he'll get questions about why he decided not to sack off Khabib's mate and it will be interesting to see how he skips around that one, if he decides to play along with Khabib here.

Again, what about poor Paul Daley?

Fuck Paul Daley, that bum could't draw decent numbers if he was fighting in his own back garden.

Just now, TildeGuy~! said:

Let’s not pretend that Khabib pulled those numbers, it was all Conor.

No one said it was Khabib (although if you stick Conor in there with Gray Maynard it's not doing the numbers his fight with Khabib did, he needs good dance partners), but the truth is that, much like Diaz did, Khabib will come out of this a much bigger star than he was previously, and part of that is down to the mentalness after the fight, along with the crushing win, obviously.

• Paid Members
57 minutes ago, David said:

Then, steer Conor in a different direction for the time being. A rematch may be lucrative, but it's honestly got the potential to be more of a ball ache than anything else. Besides, I don't really think Conor needs that guy in his life right now.

Maybe revisit it in six months or a year or whatever.

I'm with this. 

Khabib vs McGregor 2 does nothing for me right now. While I don't doubt that it'd be massive now, I think another inevitable one-way arse kicking would really damage Conor. I know his star power and drawing ability has seemed like its got no limit up to now, no matter how much stupid shit he does and despite previous losses, he seems almost bulletproof. Teflon Con. Even this complete thrashing he just took from Khabib, he might've gotten away with it because Khabib's post-fight actions largely overshadowed just how clear cut, convincing and dominating a loss it was. But if they went right to the rematch next and he gets crushed again (and let's be honest if if happens he IS getting crushed again) then you have to think it's going to harm his stock to some degree. No-one stays on the throne forever.

The Khabib vs Conor rematch is a huge money spinner in the short term but long term it could very possibly be end of him in the sport, at least as the huge star we've come to know him as anyway. Him getting fucked up twice in a row by the same man would be him done as far as that goes IMO. He'd still be big news if he fought on after that of course, he always will be, but it would surely harm him. 

I'd like to see him in with someone else next but I have a feeling we'll be seeing the rematch. Which is bollocks as well because he got dominated start to finish. For all the controversy surrounding Saturday night, there was no controversy bell to bell. Outside of a more competitive third, Khabib smashed him. I get the 'business' reasons but there's only so far you can spin that.

If I had my way it'd be Khabib vs Ferguson next (FINALLY) and McGregor vs Diaz 3 or something. I don't know. 

Another thought. Bit left field and it's not what I expect to happen but...do we think there's any chance McGregor drops back to 145 to try to regain that title? McGregor vs the winner of Holloway/Ortega in say Mar/Apr wouldn't offend me one bit and I could swear Conor was saying even before the fight at the weekend that he wanted that 145 belt back at some point. 

Fuck knows. There's plenty of options. Options that are more interesting than just running back the extended squash match we just saw. But the cynic in me thinks that's exactly what's going to happen. 

You know what would be ideal for McG if the Diaz fight isn't happening next? Conor vs Aldo II at lightweight.

They could promote the fuck out of that, make it sound like Aldo was mentally unprepared last time, that he essentially lost the fight before the bell rung, but he's now focused, and he's fighting at a weight that suits him, all that shite.

For what it's worth, I think the Conor who fought Khabib beats Aldo, but it would be a good fight and would help put a shine back on Conor again.

EDIT: And if Aldo somehow wins, then you've got a new lightweight contender to chuck into the mix.

• Paid Members

Yeah I'd be up for McGregor vs Aldo 2. And like you say, you can work with either result there. A Conor win puts him back in the W column and somewhat rehabs his aura a bit. An Aldo win immediately plunges him right into the title picture at 155 and gears him up for one last run at UFC gold before he retires. It's win-win really.

3 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Yeah I'd be up for McGregor vs Aldo 2. And like you say, you can work with either result there. A Conor win puts him back in the W column and somewhat rehabs his aura a bit. An Aldo win immediately plunges him right into the title picture at 155 and gears him up for one last run at UFC gold before he retires. It's win-win really.

Not to mention that if Aldo does win in an exciting fight there's the option for the much-talked about "rubber match" between them if there's nothing else available at the time.

I'll tell you what, if they decided to book Aldo vs McG II why not do it in Ireland like Conor wanted? That would help even more to kind of push the loss to Khabib into the background.

Archived