Who wins and how?   

52 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I think I'm coming round to Tony Ferguson and his weirdness. I dunno, there's something endearing about just how awkward and cringey he is. I love this from the post fight presser, he's banging on about health & wellness and having a PT doctorate, then a media guy in the audience (Kevin Iole?) addresses him as "Doctor Ferguson". Hilarious:

• Replies 892
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tell you what, this brawl was the best thing that could’ve happened to Conor. Nobody seems to have even noticed that he’s just tapped out to someone he said he was gonna sleep in the first, the only thing people are remembering from the entire night is Khabib’s actions afterwards.  Khabib is a tit. The biggest win of his career and he manages to overshadow it completely by trying to JOHN WOO kick Danis.

54 minutes ago, AdamTH17 said:

Tell you what, this brawl was the best thing that could’ve happened to Conor. Nobody seems to have even noticed that he’s just tapped out to someone he said he was gonna sleep in the first, the only thing people are remembering from the entire night is Khabib’s actions afterwards.  Khabib is a tit. The biggest win of his career and he manages to overshadow it completely by trying to JOHN WOO kick Danis.

Of course people noticed. Not people who didn't care about the fight in the first place, reading about the hullabaloo on the BBC website, but any fan of the sport will remember plenty about UFC 229 besides the argy-bargy. Both McGregor and Khabib's stock rose after this - they're both more in demand than they would have been if the fight had gone to a snoozey decision. 

Now it's died down a bit, the big question for me is why would McGregor fight again? I don't think it's purely mercenary, like Brock, but more a desire to be loved. What potential fight would allow him to bask in mass admiration if he were to win it? Hmmm.

2 minutes ago, JNLister said:

If UFC's primary goal was expanding the number of fans, they wouldn't be signing deals where most of their shows are on subscription streaming services.

Precisely. Fleecing their loyal supporters for as much as they can get will be more profitable than doing the equivalent of wandering round the horse racing track or the squash court, sidling up to people in the car park and going, "Pssst... wanna watch 2 guys smash each other in the head inside a cage? I can hook you up."

1 hour ago, JNLister said:

If UFC's primary goal was expanding the number of fans, they wouldn't be signing deals where most of their shows are on subscription streaming services.

The goal isn't to expand the number of fans arbitrarily, if the definition of a fan is someone who just watches the product.

The goal is to expand the number of monetised fans. By signing with streaming services, who will probably offer you more money at the minute and a greater rev share as they try and establish themselves, all you've done is narrow the lower funnel and added an extra barrier to access. The rational response to that is to widen the upper funnel with mass marketing and increased awareness.

Incidents like this won't harm the current business in a vacuum, but it will make it more difficult to add newcomers at the top of the conversion chain. It just will. There's no way of knowing whether those people would ever have filtered their way down and ultimately converted into a monetised fan, but when you trying to recoup billions in investment anything that might serve as an impediment to recruitment is an issue.

If UFC weren't interested in expanding the number of fans, they wouldn't run OOH or TVC marketing runs for an event like UFC 229. Any and all existing fans would know it exists, and could be easily targeted using optimised digital campaigning.

54 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Sorry for doing this again, Daz, but I don't know what the abbreviations you're using mean.  Is OOH out of hours?

'Out of Home'

So, posters in tube stations, billboards, digital display...

Designed not to be targeted, but to just blanket a mass audience and recruit as many people as possible into the top of the funnel. Same with TV, the idea is just to drive awareness/penetration (ooh err). If you spend significant money on OOH, Print, Radio or TV, your goal isn't to just speak to your existing universe of users or casual users.

Eleven Sports shows a game from LA Liga & Serie A weekly on Facebook live (not usually the bigger games obviously), as a way to advertise the channel, I'm guessing they do the odd UFC card or even prelims, I haven't been on my Facebook in about 2 years, I used to watch the prelims on there back when they were still on Spike in the US, haven't watched any of the MMC WWE stuff, except through WWE's YouTube clips as I liked the fun Alexa Bliss Braun Straumon story.

Archived