Who wins and how?   

52 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, BrodyGraham said:

The thing with this is that in Khabib we're talking about a dude from a different culture with a much more liberal and comfortable attitude when it comes to violence.Ā 

In the past, I spent a few years training various martial arts and trained with a few Russian guys and a whole mess of other Eastern European guys. All of them to a fault were super friendly and amiable dudes, once they were comfortable with you but there were a few instances of guys getting knocked out in sparring due to a mix of the Russian and Polish guys being scarily apt pupils and nebulous reasons of etiquette. It was understood that there were slightly different boundaries with those guys.

On a related note, when Manchester held the old Uefa Cup final where Rangers lost to Zenith it all booted off in the city. The next day I was talking to the head of the company that ran the doors for the bar I worked. He'd been on the door at one of our sister pubs where it got very raucous. He explained that the previous evening he'd had to hit a Russian guy with a chair. When I asked why he explained that it had been the only way to stop him hitting a guy with a cigarette machine.

I wouldn't call a guy like that backwards or a traitor to his own people.

You've hit the nail on the head. I'd just add that among Eastern European countries, extending into the Caucases, there is a strong culture of honour that prevails among many men. Thrash talking at them concerning things like family, religion, national or ethnic identity etc. is a straight down insult, there is none of the subtle "don't take too seriously" vibe that we would be used to. And resolving this would see no problem with the wronged rearranging the thrash talkers face, dislocating shoulders and elbows or breaking some bones if needs be. Talking shit has consequences. And it should be of no surprise to most people that someone like Khabib, growing up in such a culture, is a legit hard case.

And then you have a skanger in McGregor trying to provoke him like a skanger would. Sure, he has tens if not hundreds of millions in the bank and he has worked hard to be one of the best MMA fighters whom in the past has been able to back up his bravado. But he's still deep down a skanger at heart. Wherever it's being an antisocial, provocative twat or taking cheap shots by throwing trolleys at bus windows, getting unacceptable leeway for their behaviour etc. etc. etc. McGregor picked the wrong cunt to try and wind up/degenerate. That happens to skangers that are full of shit, being "hard men" surrounded by a dozen of his mates in blindside attacks who get cornered on their own against someone who can take them for breakfast, and there no Jayo, Anto or Deco to help him.

It might not be the worst of ideas for Conor to make a public apology to Khabib. Because if nothing else given the political connections between Russian & Chechnian politics, underworld activity and MMA culture there, I'd be watching my back and telling my entourage the same. He and his family are set for life, they can live with luxury and never be found wanting everything. If it wasn't for MMA, McGregor would likely be stuck right now in Dublin living off the dole in a dodgy estate, dressed in an Adidas tracksuit going to get some weed out of his 2006 Mitsubishi hatchback among all the empty cans of Dutch Gold on the passenger side, with his FB page listing his occupation as "Full Time Mad Bastard" - as opposed to Kahbib whom is a legit "Mad Bastard".

• Replies 892
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Iā€™ve enjoyed reading this thread since I first woke up Sunday morning and watch the main event.

unashamed part time UFC viewer. Mainly McGregor PPVs, time is limited blah blah. My wife caught the end and the brawl and she was mortified. Her reasoning is more if she had been in that crowd. And that I think is the problem here.

forget the bus incident, the build up etc. This was a fight. This stopped being a fight when Connor tapped. Jumping into the crowd to start a brawl is going to put people off paying huge sums of money to sit in the premium seats. The casual viewer or first timers, will have seen that as madness and will probably not come back. Rematch or not. The whole thing just descended into chaos. When you are trying to grow your audience, showing a riot in the crowd, started by a fighter does not look good or professional. I do think it will damage the brand in the short to mid term. Not what you need when you are about to start new TV deals across the world

• Paid Members

I guess this hit mainstream news, as my poor old Mum had somehow heard about it.

"I heard there was murder last night at the UFC! People fighting in the crowd or something? I hope no-one got hurt!"

God bless her.

I think it's a terrible look for the sport. But then, I thought the same about the bus and ultimately that didn't seem to do anything but spur the hype on.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Khabib. If he's suspended for anything longer than six months I can see the UFC brass stripping him. These bell-ends will strip you at a moment's notice, so there's never been a worse time to get suspended as champion. I'd laugh my balls off if Nate Diaz wins next month and they do Nate vs. Conor for the Title. Actually, now I've thought about it, I bet it won't matter one jot what happens to Khabib. He could get no suspension whatsoever and I still reckon these goofs will make Nate vs. Conor an Interim Title fight. In fact, there's still time for them to make the Poirier fight for the belt. I don't put anything past these belt fetishists.

Joe Rogan has posted a picture of Khabibā€™s dropkick with the caption ā€˜iconicā€™.

Considering how heā€™s way more plugged into the promotional mainframe than he likes to admit, Iā€™d say this could well be the UFCā€™s pivot starting already.

I have no interest in glorifying it. It was shit and today everyone is doing that ā€˜you watch this rubbish?ā€™ thing thatā€™s usually saved for when a wrestler starts dishingĀ out cripplerĀ crossfaceā€™s to kids.

If Khabib dodges a bullet on this, I hope we can just move to Khabib/Tony and forget this ever happened.

Fuck knows what you do with Conor.

Nate says heā€™s not interested in a trilogy fight (because Nate) and other than that I cantĀ see what else he does? He feels too big a deal to drop back into the rat race and face a Gaethje/Lee/Poirer type character.

Ā 

• Paid Members

Had a busy weekend, stayed offline yesterday & watched the main card last night.

Ā 

Waterson looked great against Herrig.

Ā 

Derrick Lewis is the man! In terms of late comebacks thatā€™s up there with Silva/Sonnen for me. I wanna hang out & smoke week with Derrick.

Ā 

OSP/Reyes never really got going for me. A good win for Reyes who keeps his momentum going, be interesting to see who he gets next?

Ā 

LOVED Tony vs Pettis. Ferguson is just so wonderfully odd & looked great after a wobbly start. There was definitely something not right with his leg at the start but I guess it was just a nasty kick from Pettis as opposed to something more serious or surgery related.

Ā 

Main event played out like most expected apart from Khabib getting the better of the stand-up as well as the grappling. I bet nobody had any money of him dropping McGregor on the feet! Conor tapping through pain as opposed to going out was the perfect finish for Khabib, he broke McGregor & made him give up. Heā€™s the legit scariest bloke in MMA for my money.

Ā 

The nonsense after the fight? Once it all dies down itā€™ll be quickly forgotten. Cut through the clickbait, faux-outrage & hyperbole & what actually happened? 2 parts of nothing. There were no actual victims, nobody got hurt, there were no innocent ā€˜bystandersā€™ impacted (unlike ā€˜Trolley-gateā€™). Khabib jumps the fence to get to Conorā€™s corner-man who was shouting shit at Khabib but nothing actually happens. Conor chases Khabib, gets on the cage & punches(?) one of Khabibā€™s team & someone throws a punch at Conor but itā€™s all of no consequence. Has anyone actually been charged?

Ā 

As mentioned above. The fact the UFC have chosen to devalue their titles by making anyone in a main event an interim champ means that if they strip Khabib, make an interim title or whatever it means nothing now. Tony vs Khabib please.

See the head of bbc sport dan roan is on a one man crusade against MMA since the fight, Ā another one who had eyes on the fight and shows why this is so much more hurtful in eyes of casuals then if it was just a random fight night.Ā I mean fuck me it made the headlines on national news unheard of for MMA over here already had friends if I still watch ā€œhuman cockfightingā€ twice this morningĀ 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Jacko said:

See the head of bbc sport dan roan is on a one man crusade against MMA since the fight, Ā another one who had eyes on the fight and shows why this is so much more hurtful in eyes of casuals then if it was just a random fight night.Ā I mean fuck me it made the headlines on national news unheard of for MMA over here already had friends if I still watch ā€œhuman cockfightingā€ twice this morningĀ 

It hurts nothing in the eyes of the 'casuals'. It's not 2003. Anyone who knows about MMA knows that this isn't reflective of the sport. Anyone who chooses to think it is doesn't like MMA anyway. The UFC isn'tĀ in a place where it needs to 'bring the sport to new eyes', we're past that....way past that. Dana & Co can publicly say how bad this is, how awful it looks etc etc but like with Conor & the bus, as soon as a line was drawn under it all you're left with is a bunch of promo footage. Tabloid hacks & people like Roan (above) will have their fun with it but in terms of 'causal impact' it'll be forgotten about in a flash.

5 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

It hurts nothing in the eyes of the 'casuals'. It's not 2003. Anyone who knows about MMA knows that this isn't reflective of the sport. Anyone who chooses to think it is doesn't like MMA anyway. The UFC isn'tĀ in a place where it needs to 'bring the sport to new eyes', we're past that....way past that.Ā Dana & Co can publicly say how bad this is, how awful it looks etc etc but like with Conor & the bus, as soon as a line was drawn under it all you're left with is a bunch of promo footage. Tabloid hacks & people like Roan (above) will have their fun with it but in terms of 'causal impact' it'll be forgotten about in a flash.

Thatā€™s literally the least true thing said in this thread...

...and David called me a racist šŸ˜¦

Seriously, thatā€™s the raison dā€™etre of a) IMG/WME and b) big business more widely. If you stop trying to grow the business, you plateau and decline. Existing eyeballs get distracted, bored or die. You constantly need to grow beyond those people you have in the tent already.

That mindset of ā€˜weā€™re done hereā€™ is what causes great brands to stagnate.

MMA is still so niche, and there is growth potential amongst casual and non- viewers and even the slightest PR gaffe can tip the balance one way over the other.

Itā€™s hard to understand from within the tent, as itā€™s all warm and full of people. But thereā€™s a world outside of it, and the UFC constantly needs to have ambitions to reach it otherwise they might as well just pack it in.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Thatā€™s literally the least true thing said in this thread...

...and David called me a racist šŸ˜¦

Seriously, thatā€™s the raison dā€™etre of a) IMG/WME and b) big business more widely. If you stop trying to grow the business, you plateau and decline. Existing eyeballs get distracted, bored or die. You constantly need to grow beyond those people you have in the tent already.

That mindset of ā€˜weā€™re done hereā€™ is what causes great brands to stagnate.

MMA is still so niche, and there is growth potential amongst casual and non- viewers and even the slightest PR gaffe can tip the balance one way over the other.

Itā€™s hard to understand from within the tent, as itā€™s all warm and full of people. But thereā€™s a world outside of it, and the UFC constantly needs to have ambitions to reach it otherwise they might as well just pack it in.

Go through your own posts pal.

Bringing new eyes to the sport isn't the same as getting more people watching. UFC's target audience is 18-34yr old males. How many of that demographic do you honestly believe are unaware of what MMA/UFC is? People know exactly what it is, it crossed into the mainstream years ago. People may have watched it & interest faded. Watched it but favour other sports or been priced out/jaded from over-exposure, too many events etc but the idea that this is a fledgling organisation trying to convert 'fresh eyes' is just silly.

• Paid Members
52 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

The nonsense after the fight? Once it all dies down itā€™ll be quickly forgotten.

Not for the commission. Khabib is looking at a massive fine and probably a decent suspension. There is also talk of Visas getting revoked etc.

• Paid Members
Just now, ColinBollocks said:

Not for the commission. Khabib is looking at a massive fine and probably a decent suspension. There is also talk of Visas getting revoked etc.

True but once it goes to the hearing they'll have to look at what actually happened, who got hurt etc etc. Given that nobody was hurt &Ā there were no victims I'd be amazed if that resulted in Visa troubles. McGregor actually committed a crime & can still fight in NYC. I might be wrong but I hope I'm not, who knows with the Nevada commission though? They'reĀ not the mostĀ consistent.

Has Rogan announced when Derrick Lewis is on his podcast yet?

I spoke to a mate last night who decided to spend the Sunday morning drinking and watching the card in a pub. The pub erupted when Lewis won. Generally though the pub was full of casual fans and lots of McGregor fans. So they were not really watching most of the fights. The main event had lots of people giving shit about "Why doesn't Conor just stand up?" Also the line about McGregor playing rope-a-dope when he was on his back with Khabib raining down punches got loads of them going oh yeah!,Ā like that was what was actually going on.

When Conor tapped out the pub went quiet, with the majority completely confused. Then Khabib jumped out of the cage and there was a lot of racist comments about him being a dirty cunt. Even though it was Conor grabbing the gloves, hooking his toes in the cage and generally looking completely lost in there. As a look at the casual observers to the sport, McGregor got beaten by the cheating Russian. This cheating Russian then went on to attack a member of McGregor's camp. The Irishman is fucking Teflon to the general public.

Archived