Post An Unpopular Opinion

Keith Houchen

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Yeah but Loki cited F1 as a sport that's more exciting. An opinion that certainly belongs in this thread.

It's exciting in where Hamilton, Bottas and Vettel are competing very hard to see who can fuck themselves over harder.

• Moderators

The watching of any sport is generally a pointless waste of time, no need to fight over which is more pointless.

That's not to say I don't occasionally get into and enjoy a game or event or even think it's a bad thing to do at all. But anyone whose identity gets really wrapped up in their favorite sports team or personality is pretty pathetic.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

The watching of any sport is generally a pointless waste of time, no need to fight over which is more pointless.

That's not to say I don't occasionally get into and enjoy a game or event or even think it's a bad thing to do at all. But anyone whose identity gets really wrapped up in their favorite sports team or personality is pretty pathetic.

I dunno about that. I'm not a fan of any sport. I watch MMA every now and then but I think it's pretty common to identify with things which move you.

I mean it's pretty common for passionate music fans to wrap their personalities up in the music and it's what they identify as.

To me it's totally understandable that people do the same thing with sport. It's not for me personally but it makes sense. The sport moves them. Just like anything else it can be very unhealthy, utterly obnoxious and toxic but it doesn't have to be.

16 hours ago, Loki said:

It's a terribly boring sport played by massively over-paid, egomaniacal cunts who fall over in a stiff breeze. 

Obviously never been to a Motherwell vs Hamilton Accies game then. Bring the lad to that, and I guarantee your concerns will make being unable to piss straight into a urinal seem like a minor inconvenience.

You've never experienced football properly until you see piss streaming down the steps between the banks of seats, as the 1970's urinals have long since stopped draining properly.

• Paid Members

2 minutes ago, DEF said:

To me it's totally understandable that people do the same thing with sport. It's not for me personally but it makes sense. The sport moves them. Just like anything else it can be very unhealthy, utterly obnoxious and toxic but it doesn't have to be.

If you're getting into a punch-up or indulge in violent, aggrieve behavior regularly over lots of young fellas running around in shorts, then it transcends understandable passion into just plain thuggery.

I used to be well into footy as a lad (I can name the 96' Villa squad and their 'accomplishments' on a whim) but all of the stuff that Loki listed is why I quickly lost interest. Everything I've seen since then has just reaffirmed that choice.

• Paid Members
Just now, Accident Prone said:

If you're getting into a punch-up or indulge in violent, aggrieve behavior regularly over lots of young fellas running around in shorts, then it transcends understandable passion into just plain thuggery.

I used to be well into footy as a lad (I can name the 96' Villa squad and their 'accomplishments' on a whim) but all of the stuff that Loki listed is why I quickly lost interest. Everything I've seen since then has just reaffirmed that choice.

Oh absolutely. I think that is utterly pathetic and inexcusable. What I meant was that I think it's pretty natural to wrap your personality up with stuff your passionate about. Including sport.

I'm sure there are plenty of football fans that aren't utter scum that wrap up their identity with it.

It does seem like thug culture seems to go overwhelmingly hand in hand with football though. At least from what I know about it in this country.

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

What was the excuse for the thousands of years before football existed? What's the excuse for the people out in towns up and down the country every Friday and Saturday night? The people at carnivals, festivals, horse racing, etc? People have always and will always fight. Call it thuggery or whatever but violence is sadly a horrible part of human nature. Alcohol plays a big part but that's no excuse either.

Football can be used as an outlet for that aggression, particularly in the 80s and to a far lesser extent now, but it's a social issue. Whenever you get crowds of people together, something usually kicks off somewhere. Black Friday has a worse record than football.

• Paid Members

I'm not excusing anything. In fact, I'd be as bold to say that the cross-section for hooligans with those who get into pissed up fights on the wekeend and at the racing, festivals etc is pretty healthy. People like that must gravitate towards football for the sense of belonging (and/or for the guarantee of a regular punch-up).

Comparing the chaos at Black Friday to football hooliganism is a tad laughable to be fair though. I'm looking forward to the Karl Urban-fronted, Football Factory-inspired film about Thanksgiving weekend.

The subject of football hooliganism is always going to press buttons in this country as it's England's most popular sport and pastime, but there's no evading the subject. It's just that most people have grown to accept it as an ugly side of the sport whereas I've just let it get in the way.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Comparing the chaos at Black Friday to football hooliganism is a tad laughable to be fair though. I'm looking forward to the Karl Urban-fronted, Football Factory-inspired film about Thanksgiving weekend.

You should see Black Friday in Russia.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

You should see Black Friday in Russia.

Eh, that's not saying much. It's Russia. I bet the footy hooliganism over there is hardcore as fuck. There's probably an Ultras group for the under-13s.

Edited by Accident Prone

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Yeah, just to clarify I wasn't talking about the violent side of things. I was talking about the pathetic football nerds who live and breathe their club. Get a fucking life.

Sad cunts. Bet they have it in their usernames on message boards and stuff.