Post An Unpopular Opinion

Keith Houchen

• Paid Members

I think the Megadrive takes it as games like Streets of Rage and Golden Axe just bests anything the SNES had in comparison. It had a proper version of Mortal Kombat with all the gorey stuff intact too which the SNES didn't. 

Outside of Mario Kart and Mario World, I cant think of anything else I'd still play on it these days. 

SNES had a much better control pad though. 

Edited by Silky Kisser

33 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

How come you never really see much merch for mega drive, yet snes seems to have a shed load? 

Because the Mega Drive was the drizzling shits, while all the cool kids had a shiny, new SNES with one of those adapters that let you play imported Japanese games that didn't even have English options or menus.

SNES owners were hipster, before hipster was cool.

• Paid Members
56 minutes ago, Silky Kisser said:

I think the Megadrive takes it as games like Streets of Rage and Golden Axe just bests anything the SNES had in comparison. It had a proper version of Mortal Kombat with all the gorey stuff intact too which the SNES didn't. 

That's why it was kinda hard for me to make a choice between the two. When it comes to Arcade-style side scrollers, Golden Axe and Streets Of Rage beat anything the SNES offered in that department. I seem to remember the MD having better footy games too and they had a more liberal approach to blood and gore. 

But when it comes to platformers, nothing on Megadrive comes close. Sonic is basically an on-rails game with occasional jumping (and the controls were floaty as fuck, a common issue with most MD platformers). It gets by due to the soundtrack and nostalgia. SNES had Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Castlevania 4 and Super Metroid, all finely-tuned, incredibly well-made platformers. And Plok, God I loved Plok.

Same with RPGs and puzzle games, as well as all the licensed games looking (and playing) much better on the SNES. 

Edited by Accident Prone

• Paid Members

I had both SNES and Megadrive as well but while the SNES had at least 5 or 6 games which are outright, all-time greatest ever games, the Megadrive didn't. But I still really liked the Megadrive and had plenty of games for it.

You're all wrong with your shoddy plebeian consoles that couldn't run even a semi competent football manager sim.

Did we get Chrono Trigger over here? I didn't own a SNES, had a rerelease on DS but I recall a bunch of great RPG's not being released over here, Chrono Trigger is pretty much the best game of the entire era not called Streets of Rage 2 tho.

• Paid Members
Just now, Merzbow said:

You're all wrong with your shoddy plebeian consoles that couldn't run even a semi competent football manager sim.

True. I had an Amiga. Did enjoy a bit of button bashing on our kids consoles but the choice, availability and quality of games on the Amiga pissed all over them.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Did we get Chrono Trigger over here? I didn't own a SNES, had a rerelease on DS but I recall a bunch of great RPG's not being released over here, Chrono Trigger is pretty much the best game of the entire era not called Streets of Rage 2 tho.

We either didn't get Chrono Trigger, or Chrono Cross. I'm leaning towards Chrono Cross not being released here.

13 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

True. I had an Amiga. Did enjoy a bit of button bashing on our kids consoles but the choice, availability and quality of games on the Amiga pissed all over them.

It was all about Sensible Soccer, Cannon Fodder, Monkey Island, Worms, Syndicate, Flashback, Lemmings and...erm...Soccer Kid until I got a PlayStation.

• Paid Members

Creatures - both 1 and 2 - on the Commodore 64 are the best computer games, with the best accompanying soundtracks, ever made.

EDIT - The Shadow of the Beast graphics on the Amiga blew my bollocks off in the same way Jurassic Park did in the cinema when the first big dinosaur was eating them trees.

Edited by Scott Malbranque

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Sphinx said:

It was all about Sensible Soccer, Cannon Fodder, Monkey Island, Worms, Syndicate, Flashback, Lemmings and...erm...Soccer Kid until I got a PlayStation.

I think Worms might be my favourite video game series ever. Great memories of countless hours spent with my Dad and brother, first with Worms on the PlayStation and then Worms: Armageddon on the PC. Got my Dad a copy for the Wii a few years back, he was dead chuffed. It's Christmas tradition in my Dad's house to have a few games, it's amazing how such a simple premise can bring such joy.