• Paid Members

I was looking at their squad yesterday out of interest. Of the current 29 man squad, Only 11 are at PL clubs and 3 of those are kids who haven't broken out of U23s yet. Of their 6 forwards, the only one at a PL club is an 18 year old at Southampton with 2 league appearances. Look at their recent call-ups and it's the same story. They need a miracle worker.

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, westlondonmist said:

I see O'Neil left Ireland. I haven't paid any attention to them really. What has been the problem for them, no new young players over the last 2 years or just a lack of goal threat?

To put it bluntly, they're shit. Rick touched on it in his post, but they don't really have any players of decent quality- other than Coleman. The rest of their squad are average at best. Full of cloggers that play for Burnley and similar teams, they are horrific to watch. You look at the Irish side of the 1990s and even the 2002 squad and there is such a gulf in talent. No wonder Declan Rice doesn't want any part of them.

It's quite the achievement that they managed to reach the last 16 of the Euros.

• Paid Members

Didier Drogba has retired, appropriately enough after scoring a bunch of goals in knockout cup games.

Everything you could want from a striker really and it's telling that bar two years of Diego Costa, Chelsea still haven't really replaced the force that he was from 2004-2010 (with most of 2012 added in). An absolute nightmare to play against; strong, a complete shitbag on the field, technically sound and with a ridiculous knack to score cup final goals.

I'm sure @PunkStep will want to chip in with some fond memories of the big man in blue. 

• Paid Members

Will I fuck.

edit: To be honest, despite the fact he ALWAYS scored against us (even when he played for Canadian farmers, for crying out loud), I've never disliked the guy- even with his penchant for diving. My United-supporting mates hate him with a passion, but Drog has always seemed to be a decent guy.Not Essien levels of decent, but he's a million miles away from the John Terrys and Ashley Coles of this world.

Edited by PunkStep

• Paid Members
22 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

That feeling when you fall asleep and miss the second leg of the Copa Libertadores final only to check the score when you wake up?  That.

The game has been postponed two nights in a row, you haven't missed anything yet. Both nights it's been called off at pretty late notice, really messed about my TV viewing schedule for the weekend.