A heads-up for those who may be interested that "the game of the century" is being shown live on BT Sport tomorrow night at 9pm when Boca Juniors face River Plate in the first leg of the Copa Libertadores final.

This, for those who don't know, is the South American equivalent of the Champions League, and while there's less money involved the crowds piss all over most of what Europe has to offer.

It's been almost 60 years since these two clubs met in this final, so it should be a corker.

10 minutes ago, David said:

A heads-up for those who may be interested that "the game of the century" is being shown live on BT Sport tomorrow night at 9pm when Boca Juniors face River Plate in the first leg of the Copa Libertadores final.

This, for those who don't know, is the South American equivalent of the Champions League, and while there's less money involved the crowds piss all over most of what Europe has to offer.

It's been almost 60 years since these two clubs met in this final, so it should be a corker.

Good Shout. I think this might also be the last two legged final as I'm sure I heard its changing to a one off final game. Not sure if its as soon as next year though.

1 minute ago, Briefcase said:

Good Shout. I think this might also be the last two legged final as I'm sure I heard its changing to a one off final game. Not sure if its as soon as next year though.

This is indeed the last two-legged final, from what I've heard.

11 minutes ago, David said:

So much so that away fans are banned for both legs. Here is a decent article for those who want a bit of background.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/nov/09/boca-juniors-river-plate-copa-libertadores-final-bitter-argentinian-rivals

VAMOS BOCA!! 

• Paid Members

It getting postponed was a pisser as I had talked my father into watching it all Saturday and in the end he'd bought into it and got quite excited about the hype and so we were looking forward to watching it together. We watched Atletico Vs Athletic though which was a 3-2 belter. Also kept an eye on Dortmund-Bayern and that seemed pretty great too. Dortmund now 7 points clear! I know absolutely nothing of either teams in the Copa Libertadores but I immediately favoured River Plate purely due to them having by far the more appealing name. Vamos River!

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, SpiritOfTheForest said:

It getting postponed was a pisser as I had talked my father into watching it all Saturday and in the end he'd bought into it and got quite excited about the hype and so we were looking forward to watching it together. We watched Atletico Vs Athletic though which was a 3-2 belter. Also kept an eye on Dortmund-Bayern and that seemed pretty great too. Dortmund now 7 points clear! I know absolutely nothing of either teams in the Copa Libertadores but I immediately favoured River Plate purely due to them having by far the more appealing name. Vamos River!

I will always support Boca in that rivalry - their fanbase is traditionally quite left-wing (hence the strong Maradona association), while River Plate are traditionally quite right-wing.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

What do you mean by the Maradona association? Do you think if he had signed for River instead of Boca they'd have been left wing?

I meant the other way round - Maradona is quite left-wing, and I think a part of why he signed for Boca instead River is because they're traditionally a left-wing club.

With you.  I know he was always a fan, and it's great to see him in his box at La Bombonera but I always find it funny the association with Boca given how he played about 3 times as many games for Juniors.  I love El Diego and I'd say Boca are my "Second team" (wouldn't call myself a fan as I'm one of those you can only be a fan of one club), but for me, I always associate the great man with Napoli.

Killing two chickens with one stone tonight as I'm visiting family in Cov this evening, and my brother has BT Sport!

It was more about him being absolutely hated by France after he was blamed by Houllier for them not qualifying for the World Cup.  They had to draw against Bulgaria to go through and he was brought on as a sub.  In the last minute with the scores tied he had the ball but instead of keeping it by the corner flag, he massively overhit a cross which went straight to the Bulgarian right back.  They went straight upfield and scored.

To get away from the press saying he killed French football, or was the assassin of French football, he moved away to England where the press treat players with nothing but respect.