• Paid Members
On 8/9/2018 at 9:48 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

Couple of Europa League shocks tonight, both Zenit and Feyenoord got dicked 4-0 by Dinamo Minsk and Trencin of Slovakia respectively. Zenit seemed to leave a couple of players out but Feyenoord not so much. Both second legs should be fun though.

Zenit won the second leg 8-1 aet. 

I love football. 

• Paid Members

Very much enjoy old gits in sport still getting it done. In addition to swapping shirts with the son of former team mate Lillan Thuram, 200 year old Gigi Buffon busted out this save for PSG yesterday.

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

He's still top class, it's unreal. I'd love it if PSG won the Champions League this season, even more if they beat Juve in the final. Nothing against Juve, but Mbappe lifting the trophy whilst a tearful Ronaldo looks on, solidifying Mbappe as the new GOAT, is something I'd get a kick out of. Plus, it's criminal that the best keeper of this generation has never won that competition.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Really good article here about the dwindling fortunes of South African football since they hosted the World Cup:-

https://www.sport24.co.za/Soccer/BafanaBafana/bafana-bafana-being-left-behind-by-world-football-20180910

I really expected South Africa to have been dominating African football and to be a force on the World Stage by now but they're nowhere near it. Some really interesting theories as to why that is in this piece.

• Paid Members

Nice, I'll give that a read.

I remember how much optimism there was in the 90s, when black players were finally allowed to play in a multi-cultural South African team (seeing as Football was seen as the choice sport for black South Africans whereas it was rugby for the whites) and they actually had a pretty decent side. The West African sides and then the North African sides have since left them for dust, SA were the weakest African side at their home World Cup in 2010- but at least back then they had a couple of decent names turning out for them. The only player I can name for them now is Tau, because he's with Brighton (out on loan).

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

I remember how much optimism there was in the 90s, when black players were finally allowed to play in a multi-cultural South African team (seeing as Football was seen as the choice sport for black South Africans whereas it was rugby for the whites) and they actually had a pretty decent side. The West African sides and then the North African sides have since left them for dust, SA were the weakest African side at their home World Cup in 2010- but at least back then they had a couple of decent names turning out for them. The only player I can name for them now is Tau, because he's with Brighton (out on loan).

One of the biggest tragedies to ever hit African football was the air crash that killed the entire Zambia team in the early 90s. That team had been lighting up the place, and looked like they could be the next Cameroon. Such a shame.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, PunkStep said:

It could be that sporting resources are stretched thin down there as well, considering how competitive they are as regards cricket and rugby. But their lack of development has been a real disappointment. Their domestic league is like watching paint dry as well.