• Paid Members

Any non league fans here? How are your teams getting on?

My team, Thatcham Town are struggling a little. Last year we won the league and the FA Vase, but after losing nine first team players in the summer we are struggling for form in the Evo Stik Division One South. We are currently on 6 points from 6 games and a few places above the relegation zone. I think we will stay up but it will be a tough season. We also came crashing out of the FA Cup to a team in a lower league to us, so not much good news recently!

Yesterday was the biggest disappointment - we traveled to Highworth Town (who finished third in the league we won last season) and got smashed 5-0. We were very poor, and Highworth scored some cracking goals, one nicely placed from 25 yards, one outrageous half volley from 30 yards straight into the top corner and finally chipping our keeper from just inside our half. To make matters worse, their hat-trick hero Parsons played for us pre season but was apparently not deemed good enough for us - decent revenge for him! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Look at the state of this from the Bayern Munich chiefs. Basically, they're crying over the journalists criticising their players following their terrible (by their standards) start to the season.

"What we have had to read in recent times has nothing to do with performance, it was a settlement with individual players. Today we will protect our players, our coaches and also the club.

"Today is an important day as we inform you that we will no longer tolerate this derogatory and derisive reporting.

"I have no words for what I have read about Manuel Neuer. I would like to remind you that Manuel was world goalkeeper of the year four times.

"And if I have to read that our central defenders Mats Hummels and Jerome Boateng play 'old men football', I think: 'Come on, guys, I want to remind you of Article 1 of the Constitution - the dignity of a person is unassailable'."

They're threatening to take legal action against journalists for saying their players are playing shit. Which they are. What a bunch of petulant wankers.I wonder whether they considered this when they (Rummenigge and Hoeness) were tearing into Mesut Ozil for his performances for the German national team?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45915862

Edited by PunkStep

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Wasn’t sure where to stick this but it looks as though Wayne Rooney is going to come out of internatioanl retirement for a one-off match between England and the USA at Wembley, where he’ll earn a 120th cap. The game will be used to raise funds for the Wayne Rooney Foundation, so it’s almost more of a testimonial than anything else. I can see why people think it’s a bit over-indulgent, but if it’s in a charity setting then I don’t mind to be honest. He’s actually been playing well for DC United too, so it’s not like he’ll stink the pitch out while he’s there. 

3 hours ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

Wasn’t sure where to stick this but it looks as though Wayne Rooney is going to come out of internatioanl retirement for a one-off match between England and the USA at Wembley, where he’ll earn a 120th cap. The game will be used to raise funds for the Wayne Rooney Foundation, so it’s almost more of a testimonial than anything else. I can see why people think it’s a bit over-indulgent, but if it’s in a charity setting then I don’t mind to be honest. He’s actually been playing well for DC United too, so it’s not like he’ll stink the pitch out while he’s there. 

I thought pointless friendlies were being scrapped in favour of the League of Nations thing they're doing? Seems very odd considering he's not played for the national team for the last two years. I think most football fans would rather see Rooney give a week's wage to charity rather than make us suffer another shitty international. 

Edited by The Maestro
Charity.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, The Maestro said:

I thought pointless friendlies were being scrapped in favour of the League of Nations thing they're doing? 

In international weekends where one team in a three-team group only has one match out of two match days, they have a friendly on the other. We JUST had a friendly in September with Switzerland. On this weekend in question as well as the USA friendly we have the last Nations game of the group against Croatia.