That just stank of "Let's give someone else a go" didn't it?  Even the Modric family couldn't have thought he had a better year than Messi.  And good to see sexism being addressed with the winner of the womans award being treated the same as the male winner.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

That just stank of "Let's give someone else a go" didn't it?  Even the Modric family couldn't have thought he had a better year than Messi.  And good to see sexism being addressed with the winner of the womans award being treated the same as the male winner.

Croatia's World Cup performance was probably their reasoning; it's as good an excuse as any, if FIFA feel things are getting a bit stale and they want to change things up a bit.

1 minute ago, Carbomb said:

Croatia's World Cup performance was probably their reasoning; it's as good an excuse as any, if FIFA feel things are getting a bit stale and they want to change things up a bit.

FIFA don't decide the winner, journalists do.

• Paid Members

Like all awards, the Ballon d'Or is shite. Hegerberg shouldn't have won the women's award either, Amandine Henry or Megan Rapinoe should have taken it. Mind you, she probably wishes she hadn't won it now.

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

FIFA don't decide the winner, journalists do.

I'm just trying to rack up points for them to award me the "Talking Bollocks" award here. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

• Paid Members

I think Modric is a justified winner this year, he was my pick. Not only did he lead Croatia to the World Cup final, but he did win the Champions League and was arguably Real's best player (waiting for @Keith Houchento chip in with Ramos!) in the tournament. He was very good in the final I thought as well, whereas topless Ronnie had a quiet night.

Those highlight reel moments go a long way to deciding who wins these things, no matter who is voting. Just look at Cannovaro winning it in 2006. Fucking Cannovaro!

• 2 weeks later...