At the moment, 80 teams get to take part in the group stages of the two men's UEFA club competitions. The introduction of the Europa Conference League will increase this number to 96. Worth noting that when the Cup Winners' Cup was first abolished, the expanded UEFA Cup initially had 96 teams in the first round on its own (while it was still a straight knockout format). 

Both the Europa League and the ECL will have the new 'intermediate' round in February that Rick mentioned before the proper last 16 in March. 

The main problem with a third-tier tournament is that it'll be sharing Thursday nights with an existing one so even more people will ignore it. The pre-1999 UEFA Cup used to have Tuesdays to itself, with the CWC on Thursdays. 

• Paid Members
On 12/4/2020 at 9:34 AM, tiger_rick said:

it reminded me that UEFA were supposed to be bringing back a third tier European trophy.

Can Arsenal qualify for this third tier competition? I bet we'd fucking love to lose the final of this thing.

• Paid Members

Well that's fucking tremendous

It goes without saying, but Millwall absolutely bottled it by this decision to have their players link arms instead. I say bottled, I don't think they give a shit. 

Edited by PunkStep