Paul Hardcastle's Domestic Football 18/nuh nuh nuh 19

PowerButchi

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

City just look in the zone at the moment. Liverpool do to be fair to them but that doesn't matter unless there's a slip-up

image.png.9fd988aa818c7220c65f1572b2ce6259.png

That game yesterday could have been tricky. City could have got nervous and edgy especially after a mediocre first half but all the talk of how close the goal was to not being a goal masks that they absolutely swamped Burnley and it was only a matter of time. Burnley put in a creditable performance but it was pretty comfortable. The only hope Liverpool really had was a United result last week.

If Liverpool don't win this year, you wonder when they ever will again. Putting all mockery aside, they've got 91 points with two games to go. Dropped 17 all season losing 1 game. And they're not going to win it. Already have the joint 6th best total since the Premier League started and United in 93/94 doesn't really count.

image.png.849c16491f80766c9dfa74539d85218d.png

(Edit, included all 90+ points finishes since 3 points for a win introduced in 1981/82)

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Outside of the obvious, Is there a better team to be in charge of currently than Leicester?

Everton maybe? They have the base of a good side, and they've got a lot of money to spend. Its sort of a shame that Everton has this massive influx of money during a time when everyone is rich. If these owners came in around 2004/05, they'd be challenging for the league.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Everton maybe? They have the base of a good side, and they've got a lot of money to spend. Its sort of a shame that Everton has this massive influx of money during a time when everyone is rich. If these owners came in around 2004/05, they'd be challenging for the league.

Good shout and a good squad on paper but one that seems a bit more unsettled to me. Gomes and Zouma obviously on loan and Gomes seems to have admirers. Constant speculation about Gueye and Richarlison too. Interesting summer ahead for them. They've still got a load of players they don't want, shitloads of them out on loan, so if they could shift them and keep their key players, they could build too. Problem for them has been the same for the last 30 years though, everytime things look promising, they lose important players or managers.

• Paid Members
58 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

I hope Everton hang onto Roger Murtaugh next year and he doesn't fuck off back to Chelsea. I just enjoy watching that man on so, so many levels.

What happens to Martin Riggs if that does happen?

• Members
1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

City just look in the zone at the moment. Liverpool do to be fair to them but that doesn't matter unless there's a slip-up

image.png.9fd988aa818c7220c65f1572b2ce6259.png

That game yesterday could have been tricky. City could have got nervous and edgy especially after a mediocre first half but all the talk of how close the goal was to not being a goal masks that they absolutely swamped Burnley and it was only a matter of time. Burnley put in a creditable performance but it was pretty comfortable. The only hope Liverpool really had was a United result last week.

If Liverpool don't win this year, you wonder when they ever will again. Putting all mockery aside, they've got 91 points with two games to go. Dropped 17 all season losing 1 game. And they're not going to win it. Already have the joint 6th best total since the Premier League started and United in 93/94 doesn't really count.

image.png.849c16491f80766c9dfa74539d85218d.png

(Edit, included all 90+ points finishes since 3 points for a win introduced in 1981/82)

If Liverpool don’t win it, and finish 2nd with 97 points, how on earth do they come back from that? It would be the most demoralising thing ever. I genuinely don’t know if I’d ever get over it if that was my team.

Now they can say “look at how much we’ve improved from last year” and they may end up winning the champions league as well (of course they may end up winning the league), but coming second would be the biggest blow in the world.

• Paid Members

I can't believe Everton have given Theo Walcott 23 starts (and 35 games in total- almost every game!). In 2019. I love the boy, but can he really do a job still? He didn't look up to it in his final games with us.

Everton are probably the biggest underachievers in recent years. The squads they've had should ensure they're sitting atop the 'outside the top 6 league' comfortably, possibly even taking advantage of shite Arsenal, Chelsea and United seasons. Not faffing about in mid-table. They're desperate for a decent striker.

2 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

If Liverpool don't win this year, you wonder when they ever will again.

Once Pep buggers off to New York it'll open up opportunities for the rest of the league. I thought that could perhaps have been this summer had he won the Champions League and the league with City, but I have a feeling he may see the Champions League-shaped hole in his City trophy room as reason to remain.

• Paid Members

John O'Shea was like a comedian who had a decent set, but then has the big gag every now and again that goes viral. He was a great utility player. You'd be happy with that career.

He's been knackered for a few years now, though. Last year especially, it seemed like the tactics before every opposition side against United was "just chuck it above him head, his legs are gone." In fact, if John O'Shea was a wrestler, opposition companies would have been doing Huckster and Nacho Man skits about him.

• Moderators

TV GAME OF THE WEEK: 

Watch Wrexham hopefully sneak past Eastleigh live on BT Sports 1 on Thursday at 7pm. Saying that we're expecting a massive attendance of 10,000+ so when that happens we normally roll over.

I've only seen quotes online and not the actual interview, but apparently the Ajax manager Erik Ten Hag was asked if he felt they would have an advantage tonight due to being given the weekend off, and his reply was "It’s unfair that we have more rest? We play in the Eredivisie where we get €10m from TV rights."

"They play in the Premier League where they get £200m. So you tell me what’s fair?"

If that's legit, then very well played that man.

Archived