Paul Hardcastle's Domestic Football 18/nuh nuh nuh 19

PowerButchi

On 4/23/2019 at 12:41 PM, David said:

It's insane to think today that the Celtic team that won the European cup back then comprised of not only all Scottish players, but players who had all been born within a 30 mile radius of Glasgow itself.

Even as a Celtic fan I always feel this statistic is over egged. In the 60s, players very very very rarely moved between countries meaning that most squads were made of domestic players only. 

Scotland were ranked in the top 5 in the world in 1967 and 50% of the Scottish population lived within 30 miles of Glasgow. 

*30 mile radius covers approx 2,800 square miles.

2 hours ago, MrK said:

Even as a Celtic fan I always feel this statistic is over egged. In the 60s, players very very very rarely moved between countries meaning that most squads were made of domestic players only. 

Scotland were ranked in the top 5 in the world in 1967 and 50% of the Scottish population lived within 30 miles of Glasgow. 

*30 mile radius covers approx 2,800 square miles.

That's why I said "It's insane to think today," and didn't say that it was a remarkable fact for that era. 

But I don’t think it’s insane to think today that the Celtic team that won the European cup back then comprised of not only all Scottish players, but players who had all been born within a 30 mile radius of Glasgow itself.  For the reasons I’ve just mentioned.

It would be insane for it to happen in the current era however. 

27 minutes ago, MrK said:

It would be insane for it to happen in the current era however. 

Which is exactly what I meant, "it's insane to think today" when we see a Champions League dominated by teams made of of all nationalities and so forth that at one point the trophy was won by a team of Scottish players who were all born in such close proximity to the club they played for.

This is an incredibly ridiculous discussion to be having before midday on a Sunday to be honest. 

• Paid Members

When I read about it on BBC, it sounded like really shady behaviour from Leeds. But looking at that video, you know what, fuck Villa. Kodijga fell to the ground after trying (and failing) to barge a Leeds player off the ball. There is no requirement to put the ball out after that, and it didn't look that the Leeds player was decisively putting it out for a throw-in. Play to the whistle you idiots.

Fair play to Bielsa, he didn't have to allow them a walk-in goal and seemingly only did so to shut that racist teammate-shagging seagull-faced cunt John Terry up. I imagine Bielsa is going to kill him in his sleep now.

Edit: also, now I've seen footage of the red card, Bamford should receive a lengthy ban for that kind of shit. Appalling.

Edited by PunkStep

Wonderful stuff from Bamford, there.  Top drawer shithousery!  Not saying this as a Cov fan but for once, Leeds did nothing wrong and it would've been one of the best things ever had Jansson had hooved the ball into row Z as they went for their uncontested goal.

What I loved about the Villa/Leeds incident is right after Terry can be seen saying “that’s only fair” once or twice to Bielsa and his staff after they let Villa score, he then ruins it by clearly saying/mouthing “go on, fuck off”  to them. Never change John, never change.