Paul Hardcastle's Domestic Football 18/nuh nuh nuh 19

PowerButchi

4 hours ago, David said:

Maybe not as relevant to some of the younger forum members, but Billy McNeil, the first British player to lift the European cup has passed away aged 79. A true one-club man, he played 486 times for Celtic over a period of eighteen years, winning nine league championships, thirteen domestic cups and the European cup itself.

It's insane to think today that the Celtic team that won the European cup back then comprised of not only all Scottish players, but players who had all been born within a 30 mile radius of Glasgow itself.

McNeil was also manager of Manchester City and Villa in the 80's, winning promotion from the old 2nd division with Citeh. 

He actually played more than 800 games. Incredible player and person and the way he has been spoken about today from all sides is extremely rare in Scottish football. 

2 minutes ago, MungoChutney said:

He actually played more than 800 games. Incredible player and person and the way he has been spoken about today from all sides is extremely rare in Scottish football. 

Good spot, I think I meant to type 860, not 486. Regardless, he was a hell of a servant to Celtic. Absolutely criminal that he got less than 30 Scotland caps.

Edited by David

3 hours ago, scratchdj said:

What's needed by the current crop of top goal scorers to beat Alan Shearer's record for Premier League goals. I do love me some good football stats:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47545895

It’s not inconceivable that Aguero could do it. He’s 30, so if he stays at City for another 5 years (remember when Jesus was his replacement? Lol), then he ‘only’ needs to average 20 a season for another 5 seasons. 

• Paid Members

Nah, I can't see that happening. He only lasts 60 mins per game these days, I think his legs will be gone before he can come close to Shearer's record. 2-3 more seasons at this level before he takes a nice lucrative deal in MLS or somewhere.

What else can be said about Billy McNeill? Football has lost one of its most imperious figures. I think it's incredibly telling that, for a moment at least, the football world stopped to remember Billy. The tributes being paid to him are coming from all corners of the world and are from some of the biggest and most prominent clubs. He transcended the Old Firm rivalry and the likes of him and John Greig should make us proud to be Glaswegian.

In many ways, we have already grieved for Billy as he battled an absolute bastard of a disease and was robbed of the vitality and pride that he is characterised by. There are fewer iconic images in the game's history as him lifting the European Cup in 1967. Hail Cesar.

• Paid Members

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/apr/23/fa-assess-referee-report-claims-maurizio-sarri-abused-by-burnley-staff-chelsea

I wish they tried doing this when Conte was here. He'd have beaten them to death with Dyche's own electrolarynx.

Hudson-Odoi out for the year, brutal, seeing him and Ruben break through recently (far too recently) has been one of the few positives lately.

Edited by CleetusVanDamme

• Paid Members
On 4/23/2019 at 1:08 PM, scratchdj said:

What's needed by the current crop of top goal scorers to beat Alan Shearer's record for Premier League goals. I do love me some good football stats:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47545895

What it would take is 4 more teams in the Premier League for longer seasons and more goalscoring opportunities.