Paul Hardcastle's Domestic Football 18/nuh nuh nuh 19

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
On 9/21/2018 at 10:55 PM, PunkStep said:

Yeah at least with Souey you can imagine there is something in life he enjoys. Not so much with Roy Keane, other than ending other footballers' careers.

Souness nearly be-legged (is that a word?) a few players up here in Scotland when he managed Rangers. Didn't he stud somebody in the balls to get sent off in his FIRST MATCH as player-manager? Did they same to a Steau Bucherest player too. Nutso.

Here's the Bucherest one.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

Anyone see Lacazette's interview after the match, where he said "we're happy with the clean sheet" and Jeff Shreeves pipes in saying "steady on, careful with the language please." Did Shreeves honestly think that Lacazette would take that opportunity to tell the world he'd had a clean shit before the interview?

• Paid Members

That was one of the most awful and cringeworthy football interviews I've seen. Shreeves is such a fucking dried-up dunce. I wish Ivanovic had him taken out after the Champions League semi-final interview years ago.

I thought he told Laca off for saying 'a lot of balls' (even if it was actually used in a different context), but in each possible scenario he's still a buffoon.

It was apparently the 'balls' comment. That whole interview was nonsense. Defoe actually asked some pertinent questions, but it was so awkward. Just interview them. I don't need to see players be shown their goals whilst they awkwardly stand at a weird angle.

Shreeves is pony. Thinks he's something more than he is. Type of guy who probably demands you call him 'Shreevsey' for the bants.

• Paid Members
On 9/22/2018 at 7:42 PM, air_raid said:

Fucking Spurs, just came so close to the biggest Spursing-up for ages. The shite defending for the disallowed goal was bad enough but no way should that last sixty seconds have been as tense as they were. It's a scathing indictment of the team's propensity to wobble that a 2 goal lead on 85 still doesn't feel safe. There's some good stuff going forward but this win has to be followed up with three more points against Huddersfield or it's just papering over the cracks.

Me and the guy from the Turkish off licence on the corner often discuss Spurs. Last season, he was telling me that he didn't think Poch - while acknowledging the fact that he's brought us on hell of a lot - was the man to bring us silverware. I more or less dismissed him, although I had already at that point been wondering about his abilities to change games late on. That isn't just from a, "who can we bring on to change this?" perspective but more that, as manager, from the 60 or 70 or 80 minute mark, he needs to be in there getting the right instructions to the players. In any situation. If we're in front by two goals with 10 to play, it's up to the manager to give the team the impetus to finish the job. Likewise, if we find ourselves a goal behind with not long left. Plus, I've never been a fan of his substitutions. They often seem to be too little too late.

By no means am I saying I would want Poch gone but, given his relative youth as a manager in a top division, he still has things he needs to learn or adjust.

The evidence of the season so far leads me to stick by my earlier prediction that maintaining a top four position is imperative beyond anything else. If we don't win the FA Cup or whatever, and that causes some of our players to want out, fine. But from a purely football business standpoint, we need to be playing Champions League football in the new stadium (assuming we ever move in,).

I wish I was a fly on the wall during contract negotiations between Poch and Levy after Poch said the club needed to take chances. Surely he didn't mean the chance of spending zero during the window and risking our top four spot?

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

Me and the guy from the Turkish off licence on the corner often discuss Spurs. 

Your corner, or the corner of White Hart Lane/Bill Nicholson Way? Dont tell me I'm addressing a regular of Tottenham Best Kebab! ... wonder if they have vegan options yet.

16 minutes ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

The evidence of the season so far leads me to stick by my earlier prediction that maintaining a top four position is imperative beyond anything else. 

That's a given since its another transitional year moving - eventually? hopefully? - into the new gaffe and getting used to it, 4th would be fucking brilliant for now. Champions League football is a must to retain certain players come summer and maybe attract some, one day. Balague was scathing about us the other day ;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45589555

"a top-four finish will be nothing less than a miracle" - cheers mate.

21 minutes ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

I wish I was a fly on the wall during contract negotiations between Poch and Levy after Poch said the club needed to take chances. Surely he didn't mean the chance of spending zero during the window and risking our top four spot?

I assumed during the wait it was 100% to do with the wage structure re : Alderweireld I.e. you can't expect him to challenge for a title if he doesn't have the ability to pay his best players what they're worth to keep them. But these months later, Pochi's signed and Toby hasn't so......

• Paid Members
59 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Your corner, or the corner of White Hart Lane/Bill Nicholson Way? Dont tell me I'm addressing a regular of Tottenham Best Kebab! ... wonder if they have vegan options yet.

That's a given since its another transitional year moving - eventually? hopefully? - into the new gaffe and getting used to it, 4th would be fucking brilliant for now. Champions League football is a must to retain certain players come summer and maybe attract some, one day. Balague was scathing about us the other day ;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45589555

"a top-four finish will be nothing less than a miracle" - cheers mate.

I assumed during the wait it was 100% to do with the wage structure re : Alderweireld I.e. you can't expect him to challenge for a title if he doesn't have the ability to pay his best players what they're worth to keep them. But these months later, Pochi's signed and Toby hasn't so......

I don't know how to seperate each point off into individual quotes like you have but, no, just the Turkish off licence on my corner.

Balague isn't actually too far off about it being quite something to stay in the top four. City are a given, Liverpool have finally been able to assemble a first XI that I'd say is incredibly formidable (by splashing the cash, yeah, but I'm told we aren't allowed to mention that anymore since "every club spends money". Chelsea will be in the top four, I'm sure. That leaves one spot left. United and Arsenal (to a lesser extent) will be there or thereabouts. It's going to be tough and that's putting aside any "surprise packages" like, say, a Watford. I did have preseason concerns about West Ham but thankfully they've stayed true to form of being generally mediocre. And the stadium uncertainty can't be helping.

Right this moment, I don't feel excited about what's to come. I find myself dreading every game, no matter who the opposition is. And I really feel that's a direct consequence of our failure to build on the solid team we've already built. I like Trippier and Davies, but are they title winning fullbacks? We will see where we are at seasons end but for me the single biggest thing we did that might cause this season to be our worst for a long while was the lack of investment in new players. I get that a lot of that is to do with the stadium (although Levy did lie and say the stadium wouldn't be an issue with player transfers) but I reckon that Levy and Lewis above him don't want to spend any more millions on players before the stadium is done as they plan to sell up.

• Paid Members
57 minutes ago, mim731 said:

That's a lot of artisan bread and craft microbrews to sell to recoup that investment. 

The way Tottenham's going right now, they'll probably get it. There's a relatively newish craft microbrewery called Brewheads - they've just set up shop right next door to Beavertown.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

I think you've been whooshed. 

I thought he was joking, but I was trying to make a "you may joke, but..." post. Have I misunderstood, and he was being serious?

Just now, Carbomb said:

I thought he was joking, but I was trying to make a "you may joke, but..." post. Have I misunderstood, and he was being serious?

When Spurs released a video about their new ground, one part was met with derision and held as an example of everything wrong with the modern game.  That part was the announcement of on site artisan bakeries and craft breweries.