Paul Hardcastle's Domestic Football 18/nuh nuh nuh 19

PowerButchi

1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Even by Liverpool fan standards this is some hyperbole.

Now had he said Andy Robertson was the best left back in the league he'd have had a point....

I don't know if big Virg is the best buthe's certainly our most important signing in years and has made a marked difference to our defence. We'll never be Mourinho solid because we'll always emphasise our attacking attributes but looking at the difference between this season's performance at Wembley compared to last season's it's safe to say the defence is much much better.

Spurs were shite mind. 

14 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Shkodran Mustafi.

Needs a word in his ear? Or you think maybe passed the soft approach and he needs someone to slap him upside his head? I thought Xhaka frustrated and annoyed me the most in the team, now I know know it's Mustafi, deserved win but what he was doing near the end of the game allowing Joselu two free headers that could have easily got them a draw I will never know. I would say he was just ball watching but when it went past him both times he never turned to look back until ball was saved for the first chance and into the net for the second. The quicker Kos gets back from injury, the better.

• Paid Members

Why did Fulham sign those two decent Spanish goalkeepers? Probably the most puzzling bit of business this season. I was surprised when they brought Sergio Rico in on loan having already signed Fabri, but even more surprising is the fact neither of them are getting a game.

12 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Why did Fulham sign those two decent Spanish goalkeepers? Probably the most puzzling bit of business this season. I was surprised when they brought Sergio Rico in on loan having already signed Fabri, but even more surprising is the fact neither of them are getting a game.

Bernd Leno say hi.

How much are you loving having two centre forwards forging a great partnership? It's really great to see and the only thing that let's them down is that they have a shit combination of initials. We've had the RAF and SAS in my lifetime. 

• Paid Members

Royksopp knew.

I wonder how many more times Cech is going to put the ball out for a corner or pass it straight out to the opposition's striker before Leno gets his chance. Another hash early in the game yesterday from him, I've never seen a player so uncomfortable on the ball. He's clearly rattled by it as well, seeing as he took the bait from some criticism on Twitter a couple of weeks ago.

The great partnership up top isn't happening at the moment really, Laca is working his socks off and playing well but Auba is struggling out of the two. They played really well together towards the end of last season and during pre-season, hopefully they will click together soon.

Torreira looked brilliant, which is hardly surprising. He must start from now on. Guendouzi has been a mini revelation, but I don't think you can have him AND Xhaka together for most games. He's still very young and should be used more sparingly of the two. Torreira offers so much more as well as protection to the 'heart in mouth' defending from Mustafi and Sokratis. I know it's early days but I still really don't know how good we are. Didn't disgrace ourselves against Chelsea away and City at home, save for some worrying defending, but you get the impression these players can still step up a gear or two.

17 hours ago, Gus Mears said:

West Ham looked really decent today. Quite a fun one to watch as a neutral. Who knew that fielding Yarmalenko over Robert Snodgrass might reap dividends?

In fairness, he's not been fit enough to play from the start until now. Don't think he had much of a pre-season, and didn't he last play proper football in January or something?

32 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Nah. He returned from injury in April and played in most of Dortmund's final Bundesliga fixtures. He played in both of Ukraine's international games in May/June and most of West Ham's pre season games as well.

Are you sure? Sky Sports claims "he only made two substitute appearances from January" and made 18 appearances for them in total? He had an achilles issue and a foot injury that seemed to put him out the game for a good chunk of time, and his appearance record wouldn't suggest that he played in most of Dortmund's final Bundesliga games.

West Ham played seven pre-season games, and Yarmolenko played in three of them, with one of them being 45 minutes, so less than half of them he got some game time in, but he ended up with thigh and hip issues it seems.

I think it's fair to say that he's only now approaching the kind of fitness he'll need to play consistent football in the Prem.

3 minutes ago, David said:

Sky Sports says you're wrong, unfortunately 😉

Liked how that link said how much he does the Robben thing of cutting inside to his left foot, exactly what he did for his second against Everton.