Seinfeld

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

"Where could he beeeeeeeee?" 

This is one of my favourite sketches from one of my favourite ever Seinfeld episodes. If you haven't seen the full episode search "The Susie" (Season 8: episode 15.

I also enjoy "The Puffy Shirt" (Season 5: Episode 2) 😎 and the whole concept of the "low talker" as it reminds me of one person I worked with years ago. I still rewatch this episode on a semi regularly basis because the continuity of dialogue and subtlety of references are second to none. The only show that ever came close to this calibre of script, satire and melancholy (and I'd ask you not to judge me) was Gilmore Girls. Easy rewatch as you still pick up on nuances and character development that you have missed the first 100 times you've watched it.

Edited by Suplex Sinner

After resisting for so long ('where would I get the time to watch 173 episodes of television?') I finally decided to jump in, knowing that we had another kid due and that autumn and winter were approaching. 

I'm so glad I did because it is brilliant. I'm almost finished season 6 now and on track to finish the whole thing by Christmas. It's just the perfect end-of-the-day entertaining easy watch, where you can bang on an episode or four depending on how knackered you are. 

And given the fact I'm working full-time from home while raising a toddler and a newborn, I'm pretty damn knackered come 8pm, folks! 

Obviously there are a few standout episodes, like The Parking Garage, The Contest and The Opposite, but I really appreciate the continuity in the show and how consistent the characters are. 

I hope that continues in the last couple of seasons and it doesn't become like Friends, where one character sharply turns from a lovable simpleton to a horny braindead manchild. 

Speaking of Friends, I also notice how much it borrowed from Seinfeld in terms of the feel, some of the plots and even some of the actors who crop up. 

• Paid Members

I’m really glad to see this thread bumped, as I’ve recently fallen rather head over heels for Jerry Seinfeld after stumbling upon Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee on Netflix.
I could just listen to him dissect the art form all day!

Always knew of Seinfeld, but it was lost on me at the point it was fairly big here and I always dismissed it as that fairly typical US sitcom at a time when id rather be watching the likes of Bottom or Red Dwarf.

I just finished the documentary which charts his return to stand up after the show ended which was a cool watch apart from the inclusion of the Orny Adams stuff - what am irritating human being!!!

I’m planning to get through his various stand ups on Netflix over the next week or two, but where could I watch the show?

10 minutes ago, John Matrix said:

I’m planning to get through his various stand ups on Netflix over the next week or two, but where could I watch the show?

It's available on Prime Video if you have an Amazon Prime subscription or it's also I noticed last week on All 4 as well

• Paid Members

I’m about to hit the end of the show’s run on Prime Video after binging it the past few weeks. It’s just such an easy watch and doesn’t seem to get stale or tired. The only thing that I might say gets a little stale is Kramer’s reactions to things, but he has enough mishaps and new exclamations that it can be passed off rather than just being a repetitive character.

I’ll always remember Jerry’s girlfriend walking around naked in the Hamptons and Kramer going, “Yo-Yo Ma!”

2 hours ago, John Matrix said:

I’m really glad to see this thread bumped, as I’ve recently fallen rather head over heels for Jerry Seinfeld after stumbling upon Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee on Netflix.
I could just listen to him dissect the art form all day!

Always knew of Seinfeld, but it was lost on me at the point it was fairly big here and I always dismissed it as that fairly typical US sitcom at a time when id rather be watching the likes of Bottom or Red Dwarf.

I just finished the documentary which charts his return to stand up after the show ended which was a cool watch apart from the inclusion of the Orny Adams stuff - what am irritating human being!!!

As stated above, it's all on Prime and All4, and will be going to Netflix in January.

Stand up wise: Start with I'm Telling You For The Last Time, his special from 1998 (also on Netflix). Incredibly 'Seinfeld' stand up ("what's the deal with...?" etc etc) but probably one of my favourite stand up routines of all time. The bit with the cows and the milk dating always floors me.

I had it on a tape with Chris Rock Bigger and Blacker which I completely wore out and it completely changed the way I thought about stand up. It's gold Jerry, GOLD!!!

Edit: @Your Fight Site ugh I hate myself for pointing this out, but that was George's girlfriend. But yeah, cracking episode.

Edited by SuperBacon
pedantic wanker

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Finished my rewatch last night. I think the last series is a lot better than I remembered but the finale is still bad. Not necessarily in concept but its execution was just so lazy, like a trumped-up clip show. Series 3 and 4 are still kings.

Yeah, I finished watching it a couple of weeks ago. The night I watched the finale I had an anxiety dream where Jerry Seinfeld made us miss our plane to a big event. Figures. 

Speaking of the finale, I didn't really hate it and agree that the concept is good but the execution leaves a little to be desired. 

Overall, I really liked the show and it was the perfect before-bed watch (once the toddler and newborn were asleep). 

I love an easygoing 20-minute sitcom and this ticked every box for what I wanted at the time. 

Also, lots of love for Puddy. What a great character.