Seinfeld

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Yeah but it's a TV show and I haven't have time for them for over 10 years. I'm still only on season 4 of Parks and Rec and I started it 6 months ago.

It kind of put me off hearing about Jason and Julia threatening to leave the show cos they weren't written into one episode.

I wish Jerry and Larry called their bluff, seeing how their post-Seinfeld careers panned out. *I know Julia rebounded eventually.

It also makes me wonder if their egos are why they get way more screentime than Kramer, despite Kramer being the layman's favourite character.

Don't mistake this for me playing down the importance of their characters. The ensemble was hugely important, but the show had so many characters (Newman, George's father, Kramer's acquaintances, various boyfriends/girlfriends) that we barely scraped the surface of, that it didn't need to be wedded to these four characters ALL the time.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, NoUseforaUsername said:

It kind of put me off hearing about Jason and Julia threatening to leave the show cos they weren't written into one episode.

Wasn't it more the fact that they weren't being overly featured early on, rather than they weren't in one episode. Julia especially was way, way funnier after the 2nd or 3rd season compared to the early ones. They weren't getting the best out of her. And Jason Alexander is just incredible as a character. If he's showing concerns that they aren't using George as well as they should, his protests were probably correct in the long run.

Thing with those American seasons is, if you dont feel like you're being treated well that's a long time to ride it out. 20-odd episodes a season isn't where you bottle your concerns up and hope things will change. That's why their artists. All the best ones complain. Especially comedians. And especially on Seinfeld. Larry David and Jerry Seinfeld want the most minor thing done a certain way. It's the environment they created on set.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

One thing I find great about that show is that despite the show being called Seinfeld Jerry is probably the least funny and least interesting out of all of the characters. George is the greatest by far with all of relationship, job antics and family problems. Elaine's work life was pretty funny too. Kramer had his daily silly antics. Jerry had some interesting relationships and the odd time we saw his family it could be funny but not as constant as the others.

• Paid Members

The "man hands" episode helped produce one of the biggest laughs I've ever had, when I was younger. My old man was puzzled by how funny I found it, but the scene below was golden for a younger me - although younger me also used to find 'Only An Excuse?' funny, so.

@IANdrewDiceClay Jason said on one of the DVD extras that he walked up to Larry David and told him he'd quit if he was ever left out of an episode again. The episode was "The Pen", which also didn't feature Michael Richards.

Jason is a great actor and he's a pretty cool guy, but his guest appearance on Curb Your Enthusiasm, the scene with Larry, alludes to how seriously he takes himself.

@ColinBollocks Jerry's facial reactions and his delivery of the "didn't come true" line in that scene are proof positive that he doesn't get enough credit as a comedic actor. Brilliant stuff.

Which reminds me of his scenes with Neil Giuntoli in the episode with Kramer's illegal bootlegger friend. That's an underrated guest role if ever there was one. Giuntoli cracks me up every time he's on screen.

Edited by NoUseforaUsername

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Moderators

I was really enjoying that article and then it just abruptly ended.

Edit: Devon's one. I didn't like that second one really, couldn't be bothered to finish reading it. Decent premise, poorly written.

Edit 2: I went back and finished it and I stand by my assessment.

Edited by Chest Rockwell