Beast from the East

SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members

Snow day yesterday, all schools closed, no buses running for most of the day. Probably only had about 2-3 inches, but local news was full of stories of car accidents and people hospitalised after slipping on ice. Snow had turned to rain overnight, which meant if anything pavements were slippier and icier walking to work this morning than they were at any point yesterday, so that's a nuisance.

A second floor balcony collapsed and ended up falling into the street on my road, as the cold weather weakened the metal supports. Scary stuff, luckily nobody hurt.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was off on Monday anyway, so now I have a 4 day weekend. Though I will have to try and see if I can rescue the work van tomorrow, which could be a pain in the arse.

59 minutes ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

2 and 1/2 days off this week due to the beast. Thanks Beast.

Theast?

• Paid Members

Just realised my youngster has to have a blood test today at 3.00pm. I thought it was next week, just checked the letter and yeah, today. This means we have to venture 3 miles to the hospital. Worthy cause... but howay.

On the plus side, my wife has suggested we stay out even longer to look at new curtains. Silver lining and all that, ffs.

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

Just tried to go out for a walk, it was no fun, damn ice and snow 

As someone who enjoys long walks, often, i am very frustrated.

giphy.gif

Do wish i had better footwear, but i only find trainers comfortable 

Could get some YakTraks from a sportswear shop - they're designed to fit over whatever footwear you're wearing, and they only cost seven quid. I saw Sports Direct have them.

• Paid Members

some of the weather conditions from my hometown have gone viral on a few facebook extreme weather pages which is pretty mental. I was meant to be back in work tomorrow after 6 days off, i'll be giving it a miss.

1 hour ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

On the plus side, my wife has suggested we stay out even longer to look at new curtains. Silver lining and all that, ffs.

Where do you live, Balmoral?

A wall of cancelled train services on my local departures board has cast a cloud of realism over my travel plans tomorrow, so I won't be heading to the far end of the country for my new godchildren's christening. Pretty gutted about that, but I don't want to be left scrambling for a B&B on the outskirts of Buttfuck, Nowhere, when it's dark and snowing.

I had to walk home from work yesterday as barely any buses, the 3 mile walk was good though as the air was fresh and I enjoyed it. I also helped push 2 cars out of the snow so I have some good karma coming my way.

33 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

What if the cars didn't want to be touched?

I've not been around much in the last few years, but...  I think I get this reference.

On topic, the most appalling things I've seen in this snow storm were:

a) a guy in shorts walking around town when it's -4, and
b) a guy in flip flops!  Even worse, he was wearing those weird 5-toed socks things

I know there's an odd breed of men in this country who insist on dressing like they're on the Costa Brava all year round, but surely once it snows they might think of putting on some fucking trousers?

1 hour ago, D@mm said:

I had to walk home from work yesterday as barely any buses, the 3 mile walk was good though as the air was fresh and I enjoyed it. I also helped push 2 cars out of the snow so I have some good karma coming my way.

You've got a little more work to do before the wheels of Karma turn in your favour.

• Paid Members

Between the wind and the soap in the bogs at work I've managed to wind up with a bit of dermatitis in my hands. It's not been too bad today, the weather that is, apart from when the wind's been blowing. IT's a horrible, bitter wind. I shall have to spend the weekend using Dermol to wash my hands to be safe.

5 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

You've got a little more work to do before the wheels of Karma turn in your favour.

Yes I know that clearly, would be nice to post something in here without someone making a snide comment.

Archived