Beast from the East

SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I couldn't get the car out to get to work today - other half gets the train, got sent home early and has spent the entire afternoon trying to get back. Four hours and counting for what should have taken a quarter of that. I'm hoping to see her by June or July but I'm not very hopeful. She'll want to try and get into work tomorrow as well, I'm hoping this afternoon's hell will help me convince her not to bother.

Where abouts are you based? I’m in fenham and the whole of the West end is goosed. Either way, it sounds like the entirety of Newcastle has been butchered today, same tomorrow apparently.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I like this story because it's only at the end that you clarify that you were actually driving. For a moment I thought you got snowed into a portaloo and had to get some lads in to dig you out.

:laugh: That would have been a far better story, especially if we found out how @Steve Justice approaches a portaloo!

• Awards Moderator

She's still on the train. Still not moving. There is absolutely nothing I can do, it's incredibly frustrating. I genuinely don't know if she's getting home tonight. Nowhere's reporting on the train's status because it's so delayed it's dropped off all departure/arrival schedules. She'd have been better off being stranded at work overnight. Sorry to vent on here but I feel useless.

• Paid Members

Nix you can do HG, if she works an hour away, I imagine the issue is that they are prioritising long distance trains due to the potentially bigger knock on effect if they don’t get to their destination. In their mind a ‘local’ journey will arrive tonight, a train to Birmingham/Glasgow might struggle.. so platform space is granted to them. Where’s it coming from, south, Carlisle or up coast?

1 hour ago, Ralphy said:

pretty lucky here in Halesowen, in the west midlands, its cold as heck and we do have snow, but not enough to cause much disruption

I did a 3 hour, 10.75 mile walk earlier and luckily despite wearing trainers, i only nearly fell over once! 

Same in West Brom. It keeps snowing in little spurts and we've had it heavy but it's never settled. It' bloody freezing though. Was -4 when I left for work this morning and -2 when I came home I hours later.

I feel a bit left out, all my friends and family on Yorkshire are snowed in and off work, I don't think I'll get a day off anytime soon

• Awards Moderator
28 minutes ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

Nix you can do HG, if she works an hour away, I imagine the issue is that they are prioritising long distance trains due to the potentially bigger knock on effect if they don’t get to their destination. In their mind a ‘local’ journey will arrive tonight, a train to Birmingham/Glasgow might struggle.. so platform space is granted to them. Where’s it coming from, south, Carlisle or up coast?

North. Was moving as of 25 minutes ago so all being well she'll be back soon. And is already insistent on doing it again tomorrow to get to work... 

• Paid Members

Today was hellish. Sure, snow is pretty, but not so great when you have to work. I went to the shop opposite work to get a drink around midday and came back looking like a snowman. The streets around North London have been really, really quiet. I assumed today would be the worst of it but according to the forecast tomorrow and Friday will have just as much snow. I can't remember the last time it snowed so much in London.

Yeah I’m super lucky I can work from home if needs be. I live in Isleworth and work in Hammersmith and travel between the two was near impossible. Took a stroll to Twickenham to the gym when there seemed to be a break in the snow, but the walk back was fucking bleak.

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

North. Was moving as of 25 minutes ago so all being well she'll be back soon. And is already insistent on doing it again tomorrow to get to work... 

I assume you mean Alnwick or Berwick way, can’t begin to imagine how bad it was there, here was bad enough.

Weather here is due to be worse tomorrow apparently. 

Archived