Beast from the East

SpursRiot2012

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

It's proper snow down here in Norfolk. Never seen the like. First time I've known all buses to be cancelled.

I can work from home, but the other lass on my team didn't take her laptop home last night so got the day off. I honestly can't tell if she did it on purpose or is just so thick she didn't think ahead. Probably a little bit of both.

• Paid Members
53 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

Anyway, having her at home with me whilst I work is nice.

My favourite moment from the past few days was when three blokes came out to help a UPS van that had gotten stuck, a fourth ignored them totally as he surfed right down the hill on the box for his Samsung 50” TV. Beautiful.

That’s bloody magical that is.

On a side note, my child’s nursery is only 200 yards walk from the house. So she’s going in tomorrow, but like you, my wife and I will be at home, alone, house to ourselves... you know what that means... 

SPREADSHEETS!!!!

Had my laptop at home so had to work through it. Heard some right horror stories of people I know getting made to work to Finish when trains and busses are off. One had two kids and told she would get put up in a hotel if she got stuck  , no hotels so was told to find a friend to stay with . Just an awful way to treat people 

4 hours ago, Ralphy said:

my local forecast has the "realfeel" temperature at -15 at 4am tomorrow, madness! never experienced a temp like that, if im awake like i am most mornings im going to go for a little walk just to see how cold like that actually feels

In the world's shittest version of Top Trumps...I think we've got you beat here in Newcastle.

Screenshot_20180228_232050.jpg

Time to dust off the Geordie jumper I reckon.

Aye, it's a bit nippy. If that RealFeel/wind chill temperature is anything near accurate, then tomorrow our high will be an almost tropical -9°C. To quote Phoenix Nights, I think it'll be Sunshine Indoors for me and mine! Just fortunate I had this and next week booked off from work for the little'uns birthday. Fuck going out in that.

• Paid Members

I'm one for wearing t-shirts pretty much year round. I did however yesterday put a sweater on over my t-shirt, and wore a jacket. It was and still is bitterly cold. My mad yet very competent builder rang up and said he could start on a job for me today. This job would involve taken pretty much the whole back window out. I told him to wait until it gets warmer. The div. It's admirable that he wants to get the job done. However I can't have the back of the house opened up in this weather.

Took a drive to Loughborough in the afternoon and stopped off in Rothley on the way back. Had to drive through a couple of mad snow storms on the way. It was a fun and interesting experience. Wouldn't have wanted to be stuck in it, but interesting to see what weather can do. Plus Rothely looked very picture postcard like. With snow swept rooftops.

Why do we in the UK find this type of weather so difficult to deal with? We should be quite used to it by now. What can we do to cope better with it? Is our infrastructure just not designed to handle these types of cold snaps? Even when we get regular snow, as opposed to this dry stuff we have currently, the country seems to have a hard time dealing with it. Other countries just seem to get on with it. We literally collapse. Or are the moaners just very loud?

Cuts. I'm from a village in County Durham and back in the day you'd see gritters hitting  the streets all day in weather like this. 

I live in Manchester/ Stockport now and haven't seen one yet despite the roads being pretty fucking ropey about now.

But yeah in the last 20 years or so infrastructure budgets have taken a dive.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, BigJag said:

Why do we in the UK find this type of weather so difficult to deal with? We should be quite used to it by now. 

This isn't Norway! Based on recent years we have a significant amount of snow on average once every two years. 

My friend just got back from a week in Iceland, where obviously this weather is commonplace. During a trip to see the geysers there were 4 separate bus breakdowns- their original bus, the replacement bus and two that came to rescue them. So when you get some sarcy Nordic chap telling you 'LOL you British make me laugh, we manage to cope with this weather', they're bloody lying!!

Anyway, trains seem to be fine today. Cycling to the train station wasn't too bad either, there isn't much ice around, just loads of snow instead. Much easier to cycle on. I'd imagine my staff will use the snow as an excuse to do as little work as possible and look at pictures of snow on Instagram instead, and talk to each other about said Instagram pictures.

• Paid Members

In reference to gritting. That happens during the night. Then largely only on main traffic routes. We could do with more gritting of teeth and bearing through it. Rather than this inability to cope.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, PunkStep said:

This isn't Norway! Based on recent years we have a significant amount of snow on average once every two years.

Pretty much this. We don't have this weather often enough or badly enough to experience such a detriment to the economy that the government has ever been willing to portion off a section of the budget to dedicated snow weather solutions - it's just not worth their while in monetary terms, and they've probably even decided that the problems caused are worth the trade-off.

Countries in the Arctic Circle experience this weather much more regularly and to much greater extremes, so it comprises a large chunk of their national yearly budget to set up infrastructure for dealing with it, as the economic loss would definitely be much greater than the contingency measures would cost.

It's finally hit the South West. My eldest's school is closing at lunch, people I work with dropped kids off and had to go back half an hour later to collect them and go home. Annoyingly, my work is still open, but the situation is 'under constant review'.

Archived