2018 Coil-Shuffling Thread

Gus Mears

• Awards Moderator
7 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

The Ski Lodge is an absolute masterpiece. I was singing its praises not too long ago, just an absolutely perfectly constructed farce. Frasier's realisation at the end when it dawns on him that, in all the miscommunication, not one person was actually pursuing him is just perfectly delivered.

tumblr_inline_o3cdwyetqC1tnywua_500.gif

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My favourite is the episode, quite late on, in which Martyy eats Niles' pot brownie. For the portrayal of stoned confusion, Mahoney is absolutely perfect in that one.

My night was going to be watching Bashed In the USA on the Network. I think it's going to be Frasier now.

I've been working my way through Fraiser after the wife got me the box set for Christmas. I'm only upto the middle of Series 3 so I can't really say I've got a particular favourite Martin episode as such, but I've just passed the one were Frasier helps him finish 'She's Such A Groovey Lady', which has a really sweet moment between them when talking about the letter Martin from Frank Sinatra's reps.

• Awards Moderator

Agreed on the Ski Lodge and Niles in the Valentine’s episode. My favourite episode isn’t a Marty-heavy one (the radio murder mystery episode ‘Nightmare Inn’) but John Mahoney is a very sad loss. Frasier was a staple of my TV viewing for a good few years, and he was great in Barton Fink too.

The radio murder mystery episode is 'Ham Radio' you're referring to, and one of my favourite pieces of TV ever.

Even though I didn't watch its initial run, I would always watch Fraiser when it was on Paramount Comedy and then it moved to Comedy Centrsl (?), but now I think it's only on Channel 4 first thing in a morning so I never got to see it until it was bought for me. Watching it back again now, it still holds up aside from the odd reference

• Paid Members

Quite unusual for a spin-off to improve on an original TV series as well. Even more so because Frasier Crane wasn't necessarily the first character you'd have pegged for his own series coming out of Cheers.

Indeed, it always takes me back to my boyhood in Surrey.

In the finale, John Mahoney had the "Thank you, Frasier" line added as he felt Martin needed to say it and it was a beautiful moment.  I find it funny how he was more like Frasier and Niles in real life, and they were like Martin in real life.  He got the other two into wine and opera, apparently!  He was in a couple of episodes of Cheers as well, and they addressed the retconning of Marty brilliantly when Sam Malone visited Seattle.

• Paid Members

I hated cheers and missed out on the first couple of seasons, but once the bug bit, I made up for that.  The script was killer, but it was the nuances and expressions that shot it out of the park.  Can’t think of a better US comedy.  Started re-discovering it a couple of years ago when we started binging it with our daughter.  Just bliss.  Sad news indeed.

John Mahoney said himself that Frasier lost something when Daphne and Niles got together. Their characters drastically changed, and ironically, their chemistry got worse.

R.I.P. 

He seemed like a good man and it came through in the way he portrayed the role. His relationship with Frasier and Niles was genuinely touching and completely believable.

• Paid Members

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/brawl-breaks-out-fall-singer-11994398

A brawl broke out at Mark e Smith''s funeral, brilliant.

“I’ve got to say, it was just like a Fall gig, some strange people there, and it kicked off.

“Don’t think he would have had it any other way, we love you Mark.”

• Awards Moderator

Reg E Cathey, from House of Cards, The Wire, and most importantly, Martin Querns in Oz, has died aged 59 following a battle with lung cancer.

Brief obit here: https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/reg-e-cathey-house-of-cards-the-wire-actor-dead-at-59-w516576

Message to the afterlife: Don’t fuck with Querns.

Archived