2018 Coil-Shuffling Thread

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

It is gutting that he's gone, and I thought about similar frustrations - not just him as a high profile figure prepared to take the government to task on the NHS, but as a high profile scientist and academic in the first place. The world is moving more and more towards anti-intellectualism, and to distrust of science and of institutions that could be once be considered arbiters of truth. Losing great minds while we're stuck with fake news and Flat Earthers is a bastard.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
21 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

It is gutting that he's done, and I thought about similar frustrations - not just him as a high profile figure prepared to take the government to task on the NHS, but as a high profile scientist and academic in the first place. The world is moving more and more towards anti-intellectualism, and to distrust of science and of institutions that could be once be considered arbiters of truth. Losing great minds while we're stuck with fake news and Flat Earthers is a bastard.

Hear, hear. I'm glad we still have the likes of Brian Cox and Neil DeGrasse Tyson around, but given the recent global descent into the politics of ignorance and hatred, we need as many people as possible who are respected and listened to, to bolster the struggle against the rise of nationalism, anti-intellectualism, and xenophobia.

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, Astro Hollywood said:

What's the best mispelled name you've seen in a FB RIP status today? Mine is "Hawkins"

Just spotted the post above. Not a dig, just a happy coincidence :D

Peter Stringfellow managed "Steve Harking" on Twitter.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Astro Hollywood said:

What's the best mispelled name you've seen in a FB RIP status today? Mine is "Hawkins"

Just spotted the post above. Not a dig, just a happy coincidence :D

Courtesy of Mr. B3ta, Rob Manuel.

harking.PNG

• Paid Members

Nicked from Facebook, but;

"We lost a staggering intellect today, a man who shaped the way we look at the universe. I'll never forget the first time I looked up at the night sky, and thought to myself....'let's see what you could have won!'"

Archived