Sign in to follow this  
Gus Mears

2018 Coil-Shuffling Thread

Considering his condition, that's a really good run. One of those people who could look back on his life and say he was truly proud of the things he accomplished. RIP.

Whilst it's sad he's gone, it's also really frustrating - he was preparing, with a group of lawyers, to take this bastard government to court over the NHS. Obviously, the lawyers should do a good job, but a man of his intelligence would've been able to help put together a case to really smash the fuckers, and his profile and fame would've got more attention on it than usual so that it wouldn't have flown under the radar.

Edited by Carbomb

It is gutting that he's gone, and I thought about similar frustrations - not just him as a high profile figure prepared to take the government to task on the NHS, but as a high profile scientist and academic in the first place. The world is moving more and more towards anti-intellectualism, and to distrust of science and of institutions that could be once be considered arbiters of truth. Losing great minds while we're stuck with fake news and Flat Earthers is a bastard.

Edited by BomberPat

21 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

It is gutting that he's done, and I thought about similar frustrations - not just him as a high profile figure prepared to take the government to task on the NHS, but as a high profile scientist and academic in the first place. The world is moving more and more towards anti-intellectualism, and to distrust of science and of institutions that could be once be considered arbiters of truth. Losing great minds while we're stuck with fake news and Flat Earthers is a bastard.

Hear, hear. I'm glad we still have the likes of Brian Cox and Neil DeGrasse Tyson around, but given the recent global descent into the politics of ignorance and hatred, we need as many people as possible who are respected and listened to, to bolster the struggle against the rise of nationalism, anti-intellectualism, and xenophobia.

I'll admitĀ that I cried this morning when I heardĀ Stephen HawkingĀ hasĀ died. He pushed the boundaries of the universe and the boundaries of my imagination. He captured, understood and and explained the universe in a way nobody else could.Ā 

Edited by Undefeated Steak

What's the best mispelled name you've seen in a FB RIP status today? Mine is "Hawkins"

Just spotted the post above. Not a dig, just a happy coincidence :D

Edited by Astro Hollywood

20 minutes ago, Astro Hollywood said:

What's the best mispelled name you've seen in a FB RIP status today? Mine is "Hawkins"

Peter Stringfellow managed "Steve Harking" on Twitter.

1 hour ago, Astro Hollywood said:

Courtesy of Mr. B3ta, Rob Manuel.

harking.PNG

48 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Jim Bowen has gone now.Ā 

Rough day.

I bloody love Bullseye. Thanks to Challenge I think I've seen nearly every Bowen era episode.